VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just purchased a new HP Media Centre computer running XP Media Centre and when I go to burn a DVD using Nero it tells me DMA is not enabled. I have looked every where trying to find where you can enable DMA but have been unable to find it.

Can someone please tell me where you go to enable DMA?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The short version:

To check DMA/PIO mode within Windows:

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

From there, right click on one of the channels and choose 'Properties>Advanced Settings'. All drives should be DMA mode. The 'Current Transfer Mode' for Hard drives is usually DMA 4-6 and DVD burners DMA 2-4, DVD ROMs usually DMA 2. If you see any in PIO mode, that can slow things down.

Changing them back may be easy or complicated. First see if you can change them in that window. If not, I usually uninstall the channel the drive is on and let the OS reinstall it. This will usually take a reboot. This will not damage any files on the computer.

From there, if no luck, get back to us.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers only RAID.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can assure you that your DVD drive is NOT on a RAID controller unless someone did something insanely wrong in putting your PC together. Check again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98
    I can assure you that your DVD drive is NOT on a RAID controller unless someone did something insanely wrong in putting your PC together. Check again.
    The drive is connected to the motherboard with an SATA cable. I am not claiming that the drive in connected to a RAID controller. All I am saying is that there is no IDE or ATAPI controller listed in Device Managar. The only controller listed is under the heading SCSI and RAID controllers, and under that is Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds like a bug in Nero. Look around for program updates on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't have any IDE (PATA) drives or controllers, then you don't have (Or need) DMA. That does sound like Nero is assuming a PATA drive. Does the DVD drive burn at normal speeds? You might try ImgBurn and see if it has the same error.
    Quote Quote