VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've fallen a little bit out of the loop in regards to video management. I recently got a WMC computer, and recorded a show using the Media Center program. My question is, what programs (pref. free) will be able to cut commercials, and then burn to a DVD format from this file type?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVRMSToolbox and convert(or not really convert because a dvr-ms is already in mpg format) to mpg files that you can edit with mpg editors like mpg2cut2, Cuttermaran. Some mpeg editors supports dvr-ms files directly like videoredo (not free though).

If the mpg files are dvd mpeg2 compliant (you can test by import the mpg files in tmpgenc dvd author) you can author and burn directly to a new DVD using for example guifordvdauthor or TDA. If not you must convert, use an all-in-one solution like DivXtoDVD (free), ConvertXtoDVD, Nero Vision, Ulead DVD Workshop then instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick, for the the DVRMSToolbox recommendation. I wanted to be able to make Microsoft recorded TV shows editable on Adobe Premiere and a Yahoo search took me right to your response. The DVRMSToolbox can be downloaded from CNET and it worked perfectly the first time. thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes DVRMSToolbox is a life-saver for being able to do something with these dvr-ms files.

My HP Windows Media Center P.C. came prebundled with a basic copy of MyDVD plus, which will import dvr-ms files. But then it will re-render the files(which takes hours) and in the process convert the mpeg 2 audio to uncompressed .wav so that you can only fit an hour of video on a disc. Ridiculous! (If you pay for an upgrade of MyDVD plus you could at least get the option of compressed .ac3 sound, but you would still have the problem of the re-rendering of the video.)

Once DVRMSToolbox converts them the dvr-ms are nice DVD-compliant files. After I demux them I have no problem using them in DVD Maestro, my favorite DVD authoring program.

One possible issue, the audio in dvr-ms files is mpeg audio (.mpa), not Dolby (.ac3), so check that your DVD authoring program accepts that kind of audio file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Tried to install DVRMSToolbox for XP 1.1.0.8 on a machine running XP SP2 with .NET framework 3.5, but the installer complains that it needs verion 1.1.4322 of the .NET framework. What do I have to do to get things working?

/Regards,
    P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Tmpgenc dvd author will import dvr-ms files and create std DVD's. Its fairly quick and easy.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please note that tda will create a program stream mpg file from the dvrms file. That will be a seperate file from the original recording. Then it will work from there.

The reason I mention this is you'll have to be sure you have plenty of space on your target drive before proceeding. However since harddrives have generally balloned over the last several years an extra 4-8 gigs shoudln't tax anyone.

Just thought I'd offer a heads up on that...

Oh and be sure to delete the program stream copy when done otherwise it will just sit there taking up space. though there may be an auto deletion option somewhere in tda to erase the temp file after processing, don't know for sure though.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote