VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. A friend of mine in Japan burnt some DVD movies for me. Eight of the ten movies are fine and I have no problems with audio or video playback. I'm having problems with the audio of the other two movies. The video plays fine but there is no audio when I use my Pioneer and Panasonic standalone players. I've played the movies on my computer but there is still no audio. My friend advised me I'm missing some audio codec.

Using DVD shrink, I found a 160 MB AC3 2-ch unspecified audio file on the DVD. I've ripped the VOB files using SmartRipper and then using DVD2AVI converted the AC3 file to a WAV file. Playing the Wav file, there is still no audio.

I've downloaded and installed AC3Filter and but that doesn't work. I've tried using other media players including VLC but no audio. I'm at my wits end here.

Is there anyway of converting the AC3 audio file to a playable format so I can hear something? I’m looking to reburning both movies so I can watch them properly. Or did my friend screw up the DVDs and I will now have to get replacements? Any advice will be appreciated.

wkl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All DVD players can by definition play AC3 audio. My guess is that there simply is no audio.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try to download g-spot, and check your DVD with it. It will tell you what is on that DVD.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like (pardon the pun) that the audio is just a track of silence ie: the audio track is just one long track of silence totallying 160mb ... my guess is that the dvd from which this movie came was not ripped correctly ... or if this is a homemade movie then it was either encoded or authored incorrectly
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded G-Spot and checked out one of the DVD. I ran the Render option and the Audio Src was Dolby_AC3 which I guess is normal. Guess my friend did screw up the copying.
    Quote Quote