VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All

I recently purchased the Sony Ericsson W950i with the intention of watching films and videos on the train to work etc. The documentation claims that it supports many formats including .mp4, .wmv and 3gp. Sincy buying the phone a few weeks ago I have been having terrible difficulty formatting any DVD's or AVI's that I own to a readable format for the phone!

Has anyone else purchased the phone and managed to play videos successfully? If so, what video settings did you use?

I have tried many settings in ffmpegx, based around the following:
    Video size: 320 x 240
    Autosize: 4:3
    Framerate: 25 fps
    Video bitrate: From 250kb/s to 650kb/s (several different attempts in this range)
    Audio Codec: AAC
    Audio bitrate: 96 kbit/s
    Sampling: 22050 to 48000 Hz

I've tried using the MP4 codecs and utilising mencoder and ffmpeg, even H624. I should add that if I format a 1 minute clip it has worked on a few occasions, but it just seems to be longer video up to an hour that won't work. I have also tried using iSquint (which worked for a short clip) and Handbrake (didn't work at all on the phone) and also IpodVideoConverter (which is shareware and only converts the first 5 mins, but worked perfectly). I would buy a license for IpodVideoConverter as it seemed to have the most success and converted 5mins successfully that the W950i could read, however I'm not 100% sure it would work and ffmpegX seems like it will be capable.

All help is truy appreciated.

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our ffmepgx forum section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can download any Ipod converter and convert your video files to IPOD MPEG4 format. This format runs in Sony Ericsson W950 mobile phone.

Xee
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FFMpegX will absolutely work. I have tested many including handbrake and others. Handbrake seemed promising but the files must have encoded in some better profile of H.264, etc that must have caused performance issues.

In FFMpegX - Use the PSP preset and tweak it a little bit. Using xvid codec. I think your audio bitrate may be too high as well.

Set video to around 250-280
    audio works best for me at 16khz and 32 (but 32khz and 64 should also work)
    4:3 for standard TV - otherwise you will nedd to crop and pad if you want letterboxing
    25 fps PAL works but you could cut it down to 15fps if you want. The W950, M600, K800 and W850 all support QVGA (320x240) at 30fps with the abopve bitrates.

You will get a filename that is in PSP convention... Mxxxxxxxx. Just rename the file.
    I have several episodes of popular sitcoms encoded this way and watch them all hassle free on the way to/from work and on airplanes. Have even done a couple of feature films. From full-charge to 65% for 2hours 20 minutes of movie watching with 3G radio on (non flight-mode)

I've read that the W950 supports H.264 simple v.1 but for now I am sticking to xvid and regular old .mp4

Good luck. And as I said - you could try your previous settings and bring down the audio bitrate a little to se what happens. Avoid iPod encoding as most defaults will go to H.264 and then you need to be sure of which profile it uses.

FFMpeg works great for me!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys i understand what you boys are talking about BUT once the file is converted how do you put the video file on to the phone WHAT SOFTWARE DO U NEED and where does the file go thank you
    Quote Quote