VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to all

Really is Java installed in every box; can a webdesigner assume ALL browser have Java enabled.

The reason I ask is I want to implement some items on my sites which may be done with jaVA(AJAX) or with PHP (or both). Ideally I want my site viewable by anyone.
    Are there reliable stats on this???

Thanks for your time
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Java and javascript can be enabled or disabled in pretty much any browser - see http://www.library.health.ufl.edu/help/scripts_off&on1.htm for instructions for a lot of browsers. All you would need to do is list clearly somewhere on your site that the user will need java to get the full benefit out of the website.

Users can then make up their own minds.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say that perhaps if you assume all users are running computers, then they'll probably be able to use some form of Java. If you're allowing for people browsing on game systems (for example, since the Wii, DS, PS3 and PSP all have some sort of web browsing capability, there might be an upsurge in the number of people doing that for a while), it's a toss-up. Java might be supported on those platforms, or not at all (I believe the Wii doesn't support it (well), so probably the DS doesn't, and I don't remember if the PS3/PSP do. Well, the Dreamcast didn't support it well, either, if I remember correctly.

PHP might be better supported across the board, but I don't know for sure. It might be more difficult to implement whatever you're trying to do in PHP. I'd be more inclined to use Java (and follow jimmalenko's suggestion about the notice).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I appreciated your support and the links that you provided. I am looking up to it now and well post if I have stumble onto anything...

Thanks again for your support
    Quote Quote