VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an issue that whenever I install an application that tries to write a .srt file on to my hard drive my entire PC freezes and crashes. I first noticed this when I tried to install a simple OAG airline flights guide that I'm able to install on my work, laptop and any and all computers but my home PC crashes every time I try to install. Clearly, something about the .srt file is setting things off but I just can't figure out how to change. Many thanks for any assistance that can be offered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .srt is a simple text file, so it should not cause problems unless something else is registered against the file type. Is it only .srt files ?

What if you rename a text file.srt ?

Anyway, you can check file associations by opening windows explorer. then going tools -> folder options, and clicking on the File Types tab. Find .srt, if it exists, and see what owns it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the recommendation. On the same wavelength initially I checked my file associations in folder options and there was no listing of .srt nor could I even find any .srt file on my computer or in my registry. I then created a simple text file then changed the extension to .srt and assoicated the file name with notepad but still the same problem on install although simply renaming the file doesn't cause my PC to crash. I think its something to do with what happens when this file type is being written from my CD drive to my hard drive. If I didn't no better I'd swear that when the install program attempts to install the .srt to my hard drive then my PC starts to burn a CD. Still stumped.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EUREKA! Seems like a simple solution but I flip-flopped a lot of other recommendations that I read advising people to change .srt file names to the same name as the .avi file name. In this case, to get the CD to load properly without my PC crashing I created a notepad file, named it citycode.avi and placed it in the same directory where citycode.srt was being written to. Worked like a charm and I can now enjoy the new year. Thanks to anyone who viewed this problem and tried to help.
    Quote Quote