VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 250GB hard drive and want to partition(for free if possible) it into a 50GB with OS, and a 200GB for storage. Also, if I were to run a system restore(just change the computer settings, not a complete hd wipe) would that affect the both partitions or just the one with the OS on it?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a reminder you will really have something like 241gb of actual capacity. Remember those are round numbers and don't reflect after format capacity. Example - my 160gb hard drive I use for captures has an actual 153gb storage space.

As for partitioning I couldn't help you as I don't do that. Good luck just wanted to remind you about after format space.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can set System Restore to work just on one partition. From this site: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

Multiple disks or partitions: To prevent System Restore from monitoring a particular partition, click on the drive to disable and then the settings option. Clear the Turn off System Restore check box to disable monitoring the drive in question. You cannot disable monitoring of the system drive explicitly; you must disable System Restore for the entire system to prevent system drive monitoring.
    There's a lot more info there.

Here's one freeware partitioning program, but I've never used it: http://www.ranish.com/part/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Right click on my computer left click on "Manage" then storage > local. In there you can manage your hard drives. If you have stuff on your hard drive you need " Partition Magic"
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So with partition magic, I can create partitions on a HD that already has teh OS on it? Also, is it better to use system restore or something like a HD imaging software(ghost)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You are confused, System restore and HD imaging software have nothing in common.

System restore is used to roll back changes to windows that may be causing probelms.

HD Imaging S/W is a way to do a full backup of the drive that can restored if needed.

Not to mention that many Malware programs turn off system restore.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't confused, about System restore vs Imaging. I just didn't get my point/question across clearly. So sorry for the confusion.

I think I've got it now. If I have anymore questions I'l get back to you thanks....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HD maintenance software that comes with them these days has free partitioning capability built-in (or you can d/l it).
    Quote Quote  
  9. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so if I have a HD with 2 partitions already on it(1 has the OS, the other is a built in system recovery), in order for me to add a third I would need Partition Magic. Once I have the three partitions (OS, Recovery, Storage) Would I be able to shut off the system restore process on the Storage part, but still have it running on the OS part, like if the storage part was an actaul second internal HD?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's my understanding. The computer would treat each as a different drive. You can't shut off the System Restore on the OS partition, though, without shutting off System Restore for the rest of the computer. But you should have no problem disabling it just on your new partition.

The downside of partitioning is that you are still using the same controller for all partitions. There will be no speed gain during transfers from one partition to another like there usually is between drives on separate controller channels. But that should cause no problems in your case.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yea i understand about the speed vs an actual 2nd drive. My gf bought my a HP Pavilion a1630n for xmas, and hp says there is no space for a 2nd drive. Unfortunately it has the slot for me to put in one of HP personal media drives, but they max out a 160GB for about $200. Now if I could somehow get my hands on an empty media drive case, and perhaps find out what type/size of harddrive that it uses. I'd put my own for less $ if possible....but that seems really unrealistic.

I already have 2 external HDs (120, 160). And now the 250 that came with OS installed in the pc. Now redwudz I have a few quesstions for you (or others)? Should I just get say a 80GB hd to reinstall the OS on and then erase the 250 clean and use that as another external? Also, is there an external case that will house 3 hard drives, but keep them as seperate drives, not one large (raid I think it is). Only because I have no idea what raid actually is or how it works?
    Quote Quote  
  12. 1- you can apply system restore on or off on any partition including OS.
    2- For OS around 40 GIGS is plenty. advantage of having OS partition is viruses hit the OS partition so if data is not there doesn't get harmed when partition table is damaged.
    3- Partition magic can change and resize in real time.
    4- save the image of your OS drive, restore it on the big drive and use partition magic.
    or, add the big drive as 2nd drive and move all the extra stuff to bigger drive, you can move any extra folder like my documents , setting, temp folder and program files to your other drive so if your OS drive is 6 to 10 gig it could be enough.
    Quote Quote  
  13. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just looked at Partition Magic ($70 eh...) and read this....Partition hard drives as large as 80 GB? Only 80 GB?

***EDIT***

I read the previous on some download trail site. Just read this off of the Norton site, Allows you to create and modify partitions up to 300 GB* (* Supports operations on partition sizes as large as 300 GB when partition is less than 90% full. Larger hard drives may require additional memory.). Ok So I have a 250 GB HD with only the OS and system files for my HP on it right now, So should everything go ok on this hard drive. Will i lose any of the data that is already on the hd when I go to create a 3rd partition?
    Quote Quote  
  14. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by INFRATOM
    advantage of having OS partition is viruses hit the OS partition so if data is not there doesn't get harmed when partition table is damaged.
    What do you mean by this. What I have as of right now is a HD with 1 partition consisting of the OS and hp files, and a second partition with a built in system restore/recovery program, and then making a 3rd for just storage. So is this set up what you mean up above?
    Quote Quote  
  15. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denvers Dawgs
    Unfortunately it has the slot for me to put in one of HP personal media drives, but they max out a 160GB for about $200.
    Well I finally got the time to actual get my hands inside teh a1630n, and even though there is the HP Personal media drive installed I was able to remove it so it, looks like I should be able to just add a second hd. Instead of creating 3rd partition on the original drive. So I plan on buying a Seagate 40 or 80GB hd for OS and Programs. And just reformatting the original 250GB to use as storage.

I do have a question though? After unplugging the hp media drive it leaves a large tipped usb cable just sitting inside the pc, What should I do with this since I'm not going to use it at all? I can disconnect this usb cable from the board and take it completely out. But the small black end of this cable plugs into a larger white cable that runs to an external usb slot. If I disconnect the white from the black will it stop the white one from working. Unfortunately I don't have access to my digital camera right now otherwise I'd show you what I mean.

***UPDATE***
    Well I pulled the plug out that connected the media drive to the mobo, and all works fine, now I have space for the 2nd internal hd. While playing around with the wires an all, I did find that the memory card/usb/firewire ports on the front work working. pulled out the device, adjusted the cables on it, as well as the mobo, and now that is good as well. If I never attempted to remove the media drive, I would not have noticed the problem for sometime since I don't ever really use a media card, and there is already a usb2.0 on the front that I have been using. SO thanks for all you input in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I remember HP correctly they put your recovery files on a second hidden partition. When you want to recover your computer you either press certain keys on bootup or run a cd to boot from and the recover program reads the recovery files from the second partition and writes them to your C: partition to recover your system files. Nice for HP, bad for you.

If you delete the recovery partition, or the hdd dies from some cause, your software recovery is gone. I don't think HP ships with the XP disks so if I'm right you will have no software to restore from.

I think HP comes with a 1-time run CD backup of the recovery partition. A friend of mine tried this program, it errored after the 1st disk, and refused to run again making his backup impossible. HP would not help. We were able to backup the drive with Norton Ghost. I suggest you backup that drive.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  17. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just created the 3 disc recovery dvds using HP's recovery cd/dvd program, for this particular hp. I'm not going to wipe the original drive clean until I know that these discs worked and created all the information on the drive I'll be using for the OS.

I had to install a new hard drive for a friend who also had an HP (older) but didn't have the option to make these backup cds/dvds with his particular model. So we order them from HP $10 or so, and I just installed them on he new drive he bought and everything went smoothly and has been running for 2+ years, so I'm not worried. I've never had a problem with HP, this is my second pc from them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The only thing I hate about this sort of thing and Sony does it as well as HP is they shift the cost of making the CDs/DVDs to the owner and if the owner doesn't do it then they make money selling the recovery discs. Dell I believe they just make it an option at purchase time and have no way to make your own discs.

You can of course re-install an Generic OEM copy and download the drivers from the makers. However then using the product key from Dell or HP will require you to get on the phone to activate, whereas E-Machines it usually activates over the web. Something the brands do differently, maybe the way the report numbers or quatities to MS?

Another option that works is sometimes if you used up your 1 time create discs is do a restore and then you can try and create the discs again. Sony for example you can create discs or do a restore. Last Sony laptop was 9 CDs or 2 DVDs for example.
    Quote Quote  
  19. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I just installed my new Seagate 80GB hd and installed the winxp from the backup discs. When I go into my computer mange drives I am unable to reformat the original 250gb hd that is partitioned into 2 parts (OS & Recovery). Anyone know why I can't reformat that drive to make it one larger 250gb that is empty? The format option is shaded and not accessible.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to wipe the 250GB drive? And repartition it to a single 250GB drive? I assume you have saved out all your files? And is the new 80GB showing as the C boot drive and functioning properly?

It may be because you still have the OS on the old drive. What I have done is to go into the Windows folder and delete most everything. That destroys the OS, so it's not available and not recognized as a viable boot disc. Reboot and see if you can repartition, as that will quickly wipe the drive. Then you should be able to reformat.

Another option is to boot in safe mode and you may be able to reformat or repartition from there.

And you may have a problem reformatting the recovery partition or repartitioning it, but you can try.
    Quote Quote  
  21. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well what I finally did was I borrowed a friends external sata hdd case and just deleted all the files on the hdd, and then ran the format process and all seems good.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That works too. Did it still keep the restore partition? Those are sometimes hard to remove without repartitioning the whole drive and even with that they seem to hang on.

Hopefully this will help with your problems.
    Quote Quote  
  23. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to delete the restore partition and then delete the OS partition, then run the format process. Easy as pie as soon as I got my hands on a friends SATA external case. I only have IDE cases.
    Quote Quote