VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Externals true, however the drive here was internal. I have opened and installed 1000's of drives from MFM 20Mb Seagates to current days. The seagates had to be low level formatted first as I remember it.

I've bought drives retail and wholesale and the only formatted one I ever had besides external was a previously used drive that was being passed off as new at a computer show.

It i spossible that if you order a drive for a HP for example that has a special recovery partition they might ship a drive with the rcovery on it to you. Never tried that route.

However I stand corrected as I had forgotten external drives come formatted for the most part.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I concede that we are indeed talking about internals here in this case.

I have only installed dozens of hard drives over the years starting with a huge (at the time as well as expensive) 120M drive, so my experience with them is no where as vast, but I thought at one time some of those came pre-formatted, so it could just as easily be me that stands corrected.

As for the 200G hard drive I installed in the RCA DVR, I can't really explain how it was able to format that drive in well under a minute. But then again, it seems to be a mystery on what the format is or what the bios of the DVR system itself is. Previous posts state that the drive, once formatted in the DVR is unrecognizable in a a PC, something I will confirm with the 80G that came factory installed.

But the format of the factory installed hard drive and the bios of the DVR itself are the real $64K questions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Quick format is not hard to do quickly.

My best guess is that since it is a DVD Recorder it has a routine that detects a unformatted drive bungs on a preset partition table and sets up whatever it uses as a filesystem and does not do a defect scan, So no reason it shouldn't be quick.

Using the MS Win98 OEM setup disc's Oformat to format a brand new never formatted drive takes seconds to quickformat once it is partitioned. The standard format command checks and won't quickformat a new never formatted drive.

Anyway when you partition and format using the /u switch, full format, it is really just using the partition table to decide where the FAT tables go. Then a /u it actually just does a read test to be sure the sectors of the drive are not damaged and marks any bad ones as bad. That is one reason the unformat utilities work so good. And the reason there are secure wipe utilities.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm having a strange situation with DRC8030N. The last 2 recordings I have made, Heroes and Desperate Housewives, one hour each, split in 2 titles at library (first with 20 minutes, and second with the remaining 40 minutes). Heroes split in 3 titles (first with 9 minutes, second with 20 minutes and third with the balance time). What's happening? Thanks in advance for your help....Fernando
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ]My first post here. I hope someone can help. I have a RCA DRC 8030 N. My problem is I can't delete items in my disc library. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance
    Ron[/b]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DISC LIBRARY feature is useless. You can't delete them. I put recordings to DVD+RW and then transfer to hard drive on computer, edit, burn nice discs. Re-use DVD+RW again and again. Each DVD+RW burn is a new "disc" in the disc library, and these can never be deleted.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks lordsmurf. What happens when it reaches it max of 300. Does it reset???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron123
    Thanks lordsmurf. What happens when it reaches it max of 300. Does it reset???
    I have no idea. We'll see when I get there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron123
    My first post here. I hope someone can help. I have a RCA DRC 8030 N. My problem is I can't delete items in my disc library. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance
    Ron[/b]
    From Main menu --> Library --> Disc Library --> Show All Discs --> select the disc # you want to delete --> right arrow and scroll up or down and choose Delete Disc option --> press the <OK> button on your remote --> choose "yes" or "no" with <left> or <right> arrow --> push the <OK> button to delete.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last time I tried that, it gave an error message on screen. I'll go try it again.

EDIT: It worked this time! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi everyone im new here does anyone know how to unlock region to this specific model so it can play mexico dvds? need it bad thank you everyone ps pm me just in case im still getting the hang of this board looks great tho
    Quote Quote  
  12. anyone can help?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw this in another forum, have not tried it myself. Let me know if it works.

1. Go to the main manu.
    2. Open the Tray.
    3. Press OK on setup.
    4. Hightlight disk options
    5. Press 9 2 1 3 x where x is the region you wish to use. Use 9 for all regions.
    If you typed 9 2 1 3 9 it will quickly say region 9 on the display.

Good luck.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by golfer238
    I saw this in another forum, have not tried it myself. Let me know if it works.

1. Go to the main manu.
    2. Open the Tray.
    3. Press OK on setup.
    4. Hightlight disk options
    5. Press 9 2 1 3 x where x is the region you wish to use. Use 9 for all regions.
    If you typed 9 2 1 3 9 it will quickly say region 9 on the display.

Good luck.

Nope.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, it's 8 2 1 3 x. I just tried it and it said Reg 9 on my display. I have no disk from other region to try it. So lordsmurf, please give it a try and let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally borrowed a zone 2 DVD from a friend and it played with no problem!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

That worked perfectly. A large percentage of my DVD collection is PAL, from UK (R2) or Australia (R4). I popped in my newest buy (Inspector Gadget, Box 2 from Australia), and it played perfectly.

The PAL output on this thing looks very nice. It appears to be using the crop method, but unlike other machines I've seen, it crops from both top and bottom, not just the bottom. It's not resizing, so you "lose" about 4% more image on screen. There is minimal blurring, so I don't know what is happening with the framerates. I might run some tests sometime, see exactly how it's treating the output. Most machines have a good deal more blurring (even the LiteOn and JVC, which are my benchmarks for PAL playback).

It looks great, and this gives even more value to a great machine. If the tuner worked better, it would be an almost-ideal machine for recording from non-VHS sources and playback both.

This recorder is in a room where I previously did not have PAL playing abilities. So this is a nice upgrade.

Again, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

It looks great, and this gives even more value to a great machine. If the tuner worked better, it would be an almost-ideal machine for recording from non-VHS sources and playback both.
    Now if you can figure out a way to get rid of the built up heat inside when you are using the hard drive (especially one that run at 7,000RPM) and it become a fantastic recorder . The heat flow for the machine is poorly designed. That tiny fan in the back barely move any hot air out of the machine. It'd fried one of the machines I got. I've end up running a cable outside the box for the hard drive (in a removable enclosure) to keep the inside temperature cool. It make the machine look butt ugly, but at least I can swap the drive for a new one when the old drive filled up (and it filled up really fast if you record at 2hr level)
    Quote Quote  
  19. I don't have one of these machines, However maybe you could do what I did on another brand that ran so hot it fried itself, Under warranty fortunately.

The One I had, had slots on the top cover so I just Hot melt glued a Standard Computer case fan so it was under the slots and piggybacked the power cable onto the DVD Burner power. Then it ran nice and cool.

It also ran cool with the top off, However after getting a pretty fair shock off of the innards nixed as a method for cooling.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    It also ran cool with the top off, However after getting a pretty fair shock off of the innards nixed as a method for cooling.
    I've also done this for a while until the wife yelled at me to put the cover back 'cause we have kids in the house...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I hope this thread is not dead. I realize I'm coming in a bit late, but there are a few issues for which I have not seen answers. I hope I might be able to find a few answers as well as be some help.

1. One burning question from the beginning is the type of file system the RCA 8030N uses? Just wondering if anyone has checked this out....

2. As far as transferring content from DVD recorded on a PC, there are a few factors I would consider: the type and quality of media being used, the file format or layout of the file system on the media, and whether or not the media was finalized in the PC drive before being transfered to the DVR. So far any retail DVD I've tried cannot be copied to the internal HDD. So guess I'll be building a Multimedia PC for "archiving" my DVD collection.

3. I'm not quite sure why the split title feature is not available on any of my recordings. I tried to record a 12-hour marathon on internal HDD, and it split into one 8 hour title followed by one 4 hour title. However, it won't let me take any recordings and split the title.

4. I upgraded 80GB to 160GB no problem. I'd like to try 320GB or larger. Does anyone know the max size HDD the RCA 8030N will support?

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Splitting is done by using PLAY ALL CHAPTERS and then hitting the EDIT button the remote when you get to the point in the video that you want to split, at which time you can pick the "SPLIT TITLE" option on screen.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i've been all over the web and back again, but i can't seem to find an answer to my problem. HOPEFULLY someone here can help.

I got this back in november, new. Its worked great until recently - now the video output won't work no matter what i do. The sound works, so the system is on, but when ever i plug it in and turn it on, it sits for a moment, goes to the menu for about 1.5 seconds and then blacks out.

I can play a dvd and hear it playing.

Its obviously not the RCA cables, because i've tried two different ones, and not to mention i AM still getting a video feed, albiet quite briefly.

I wasn't sure if this was a hard drive issue or a board/hardware issue.

Any help would be great.

David
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "when ever I plug it in"? Isn't the DVDR plugged in all the time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds defective...try taking it back?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the unit is plugged in all the time yes, but i tried 'resetting' it by unplugging it and plugging it back in - because even if you hit the off switch the thing is still running. I haven't found any recorded instance of this happening anywhere else, so i am afraid i might indeed have a defective unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine locks up on crappy DVD+RW's, have to pull plug, wait a minute, plug in and QUICKLY hit eject ONCE (it will take up to 20 seconds to actually acknowledge the eject, and kick out disc between start-up and disc load time). If it starts to load the disc, you're screwed, must repeat process.

What you describe sounds like a blown capacitor on the power board. This is common in many DVD recorders (JVC, Panasonic, etc). You can always open it open, and look for brown leakage on the top of some of the caps. I recently had my Panasonic repaired, works good as new!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Splitting is done by using PLAY ALL CHAPTERS and then hitting the EDIT button the remote when you get to the point in the video that you want to split, at which time you can pick the "SPLIT TITLE" option on screen.
    I recently had a chance to try this and it worked...kinda. It actually split the title at the next chapter mark, for some reason, instead of the spot where I paused the recording. Realizing that the editing functions are a bit limited on this unit (from what I've seen so far) and I haven't had the time to play with it (thus I am still learning), may be factors of my small issue. Only time will tell...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can also find the Toshiba RD-KX50SU service manual at this site: www.manualuniverse.com

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote