VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you know i thought this was a good forum, with good members, I guess I was wrong

comments about my wife are out of line, I bet yours loves searching thru 100's of DVDs to find her favorite stuff too.

I guess the only thing your archiving DVR HD , is your GORE movies

the discs i tried were all RW, the only one that would transfer back was one the rca unit had made from a program i recorded to the HD drive

I don't want a flame war so , i guess i'll stick to lurking and reading instead of asking intelligent questions

so any thing you want to archive ON any DVD-DVR HD, combo has to recorded in realtime into DVR-HD period, NO matter what DVR unit you buy ?

I guess, I might as well return this thing, and set about building my own media system DVR setup, as least then i can have a HD libary of DVD folders AND avi-mpeg files and play what ever I want
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard
    I guess, I might as well return this thing, and set about building my own media system DVR setup, as least then i can have a HD libary of DVD folders AND avi-mpeg files and play what ever I want
    Well you either do this OR you learn to use the equipment you have as it was intended ... after all you did buy a DVD RECORDER ... a device made to RECORD to DVD DISCS.

Sure it has a built-in HDD but that is only there to assist in recording (so you can record multiple programs without the limitation of the capacity of a single DVD disc and for editing). The HDD is not meant to magically turn a DVD RECORDER into some sort of jukebox DVR type machine.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    then why are so many people on this forum intent on installing biigger HDs , even racks with external HD's if they aren't using/making video jukeboxes ?

it seems to me that is exactly what all the hacking is about
    I guess almost everybody here , is intent on doing something different than the mfg intended
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased one of these from Walmart and was able to connect my regular cable line to the DVD recorder and input all the channel, and the recording etc was all working great.

THEN....I got digital cable.

I hooked everything up as the instruction manual indicated but I can only use the DVD recorder if I hit the video out button...and the DVD recorder is set to channel 3. I then have to change the channels through the Cable box. The problem with this, is that I can not set up multiple stations to record over a weekend etc... It will only record what is on the cable box channel.

If I hook the cable line directly into the DVD recorder, I can input the channels...but it only "find" 72 or so channels...and with digital, I have many many more than that. So, with this set up, I can record on multiple channels, but I don't have access to many of the channels - like the sports package I paid extra for!!

Any suggestions or ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    you know i thought this was a good forum, with good members, I guess I was wrong

comments about my wife are out of line, I bet yours loves searching thru 100's of DVDs to find her favorite stuff too.

I guess the only thing your archiving DVR HD , is your GORE movies
    It sure seemed to me that what was said was more a lighthearted crack toward YOUR opinion--the possibility that you might be pigeonholing/stereotyping her ability to understand DVD-R/DVR technology...

'Course, you certainly don't need to return with cracks of your own. FulciLives was trying to give you good info, even if it was not totally geared toward your ultimate goal.

Make like a duck and let the water run off your back. Keep on asking Q's...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by acoffeygirl
    I purchased one of these from Walmart and was able to connect my regular cable line to the DVD recorder and input all the channel, and the recording etc was all working great.

THEN....I got digital cable.

I hooked everything up as the instruction manual indicated but I can only use the DVD recorder if I hit the video out button...and the DVD recorder is set to channel 3. I then have to change the channels through the Cable box. The problem with this, is that I can not set up multiple stations to record over a weekend etc... It will only record what is on the cable box channel.

If I hook the cable line directly into the DVD recorder, I can input the channels...but it only "find" 72 or so channels...and with digital, I have many many more than that. So, with this set up, I can record on multiple channels, but I don't have access to many of the channels - like the sports package I paid extra for!!

Any suggestions or ideas?
    IS it possible to program the cable box, can it be set to come on ch74 for 2hrs then turn off and then 96 for 1hr on the next day ?

there are plenty of people with vcrs and NEW or old cable systems, the cable box aalways out puts to the same ch, so if its programable, you progam it for the correct ch and time

and the dvr is always chx but fo the correct time
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see anyway for the cable box to be programed to turn on and off at different times on different channels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see anyway for the cable box to be programed to turn on and off at different times on different channels.
    Most modern cable TV and satellite TV boxes have this capability built-in. Some DVD recorders also come with a special IR REMOTE thing that you stick on the sensor of the cable/satellite box and when the recorder is programmed properly it will not only turn itself on to record but via the IR REMOTE it will also turn on the cable/satellite box and set the channel.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmm....I have to look into this more. I'm going to give the customer support a call tomorrow to see if they can be of any assistance. I'm sure most of my problem, is I probably just don't have a clue what I'm doing!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmm....I have to look into this more. I'm going to give the customer support a call tomorrow to see if they can be of any assistance. I'm sure most of my problem, is I probably just don't have a clue what I'm doing!!!!
    Maybe it would help if you tell us what cable system you have and most importantly the model of your cable box. Someone with the same box may have some comments on how to use the box for programming or if the box even supports it.

Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Most modern cable TV and satellite TV boxes have this capability built-in. Some DVD recorders also come with a special IR REMOTE thing that you stick on the sensor of the cable/satellite box and when the recorder is programmed properly it will not only turn itself on to record but via the IR REMOTE it will also turn on the cable/satellite box and set the channel.

Toshiba DVR's came with what was called "IR blaster" that did exactly that. You need to check the manual if you can get it as optional component, otherwise I don't know of any digital box able to follow whatever you program your DVR for (PVR and TIVO excluding).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    many cable boxes are programmable

BUT the IR blaster simplifies things by allowing you to program only one unit the DVR, it then acts like the remote for the sat / cable box

without the IR blaster/remote adapter you have to program both units

the cable box gets and the channel & time , but the DVR only gets time, it will always be set to the same channel ' the one the cable box out puts too'

if the cable box has AV or s-video output then the DVR is always set to that line only the DVR timer is changed NOT the channel or lAV line
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did anybody actually see these in stores?

update: Yes, they do! I found one 60 miles away, a quick 3½ hour round trip.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the store were I bought mine, still has a couple on the shelf, saw them today, the price is down too $169.97

walmart, panorama mall, panorama, ca
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Did anybody actually see these in stores?

update: Yes, they do! I found one 60 miles away, a quick 3½ hour round trip.
    Did you end up buying one?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did. I'm testing it. From what I've read in press releases, it uses the Zoran chipset, so I have decent expectations. It has it's share of flaws and benefits, but I'm still weighing them.

It's not crap. How good it is, however, will take a tad longer to consider.

JVC and Toshiba XS are easily better. Others, not so sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. The unit does okay in 1-hour and 3-hour modes. Looks great. It cleans noise mildly. Not a huge amount, but just a tad.

You need to finalize the content to a DVD and watch in another player. The playback of content recorded on the unit is too dark and over-saturated. Not sure why. It looks fine everywhere else. Since I edit on a computer, then watch, not a problem.

The mono tuner adds whine to the audio. Avoid it. Since I'm using a cable box, stereo connection, so no problems for me.

Menus are easy, everything moves fast, tends to work well. Only thing crappy is the disc library cannot be deleted without the disc it was made from. So that feature is useless, because it quickly fills itself up with DVD+RW discs you make (and of course re-use, hence the original is gone).

Burner works fine. Takes SONY DVD+R just fine. Takes quite a few DVD+RW just fine.

Fan cuts off when unit goes into standby.

I see negative comments about other RCA models and the clock being goofy. I've not seen this yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it, since I exclusively use this for timeshifting late night and work-hour shows I want to see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I reluctantly have to give this unit a thumbs down. As a VCR replacement, its operation is just too sluggish compared to a Toshiba (the response time of the skip forward, skip back, and other commands is noticeably longer). In addition, the editing, authoring, and burning options are minimal and tedious.

The tuner is mono. Most stations have picture interference. I have also experienced the "heartbeat audio" issue.

It's too bad. I really like the look and size of this unit, but it is otherwise a poor implementation of a good product specification IMO.

It has made me appreciate the sophistication of the Toshiba units even more...
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by dkll3032
    masochrist thanks...i did but without a channel search on the dvr player which is hooked up the way it is recommended. tv to dvr to digital box to wall, basiclly. i won't be able to watch one channel and a different one thru the digital box. end result being what ever channel i am watching on the dvr the same channel is playing on the digital box. i guess my next question should be, when connecting as recommended did i miss something when it says you can connect tv n cable box about watching one channel "click input on the remote "so you can record one thing and watch another
    You missed that the antenna is only for analog channels that are not encrypted. AFAIK there are no DVD recorders that decrypt digital cable with a Cable card to allow recording or watching.

A HTPC to hold many videos to watch....

Thought about a DVD Changer... 3, 5 or 400 disc models are available. I know on a Sony like mine you can input titles, catagorize and add thumbnails for easy selection...

Or Titlewrite the DVDs and use JACKET_P for auto thumbnails and titles. Still one remote no need to rip commercial discs etc. Simple remote with all DVD playing features.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've only heard the 'heartbeat sound' one time,,

I have no rolling and NO noise in the picture and NO audio whine,

maybe 'i got lucky', it won't copy my 'PC made' DVDs to the HD, but, I can do a real time, copy from a another player.

a minor gripe but NOT a quality issue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are two Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVD Recorders ... on Ebay right now.

One is bidding for $170 and the other is $160 [ current bid ]

100 GB Hard Drive. They also copy DVDs to the hard drive.

Very nice editing features for editing out commercials.

I know ... I have two of them ... one in my bedroom and one in my living room. And two extras ... just in case. 3 of them were bought on Ebay and one from Circuit City. The two from Ebay are working just fine ... the fourth one [from Ebay also] ... can't say ... I haven't fired it up.

Note ... I have no idea who the persons are that are selling those units ... I'm just helping out with my spare time at work ... I'm doing graveyard shift at the moment. And the 24 men I'm babysitting are all sleeping ... it is 3:31 AM ... as I am typing this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    then why are so many people on this forum intent on installing biigger HDs , even racks with external HD's if they aren't using/making video jukeboxes ?

it seems to me that is exactly what all the hacking is about
    I guess almost everybody here , is intent on doing something different than the mfg intended
    Well ... the Polaroid DRM-2001G unit with the ability to put a larger Hard drive in ... is just a tinkerers dream ... by my standards. I bought one at Wal-Mart last weekend and I've already put a Maxtor 300 GB in it and I've also bought another on Ebay and am expecting it to arrive soon and I will put it in my living room.

I like to mess with stuff ... and this Polaroid DRM-2001G is perfect for messing with.

But I will admit ... the method it uses for editing out commercials is terrible ... I like the way the Panasonic EH50 works ... very easy and decently precise.

When I'm editing commercials out with the Panasonic EH50 ... I can pause and go forward or backwards to get to the spot where the TV Show fades to the commercial.

But the Polaroid DRM-2001G with the included remote only goes forward. If I miss the spot where the transition between the commercial and the show begins again ... I have to use reverse or fast forward and ... it's a bitch.

When I'm editing commercials out from the HD in the Panasonic EH50 ... I can even use the Panasonic E50 [doesn't have a HD inside] remote [in my left hand] to edit the commercials out. I sit in my Lazy Boy chair with two remotes ... editing out the commercials.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The RCA does not edit as much as it just splits.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you would take some time to learn how to do it , editng on the Polaroid is easy and precise. Make use of the PAUSE/STEP and SLOW buttons along with REV and FWD. After some practice, editing can be done very quickly exactly where you want it. The RCA chapter markers can be placed exactly by using PAUSE button to enter frame mode and FWD and REV buttons to move to the chosen frames. Then just hide unwanted chapters. I complained too, at first, then it became very easy. You can't play a piano without practicing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The playback of content recorded on the unit is too dark and over-saturated. Not sure why. It looks fine everywhere else. Since I edit on a computer, then watch, not a problem.
    This is kinda odd, I'm having the oposite result. My recorded disc came out a little bit light. I'd agree with you about the quality 1 and 3 hours though. It does looked decent for an inexpensive recorder.

I recorded 2+ hours to the HD at higest quality setting then transfered to the disc via the copying function. The machine auto convert the data to #3 and wrote to the disc without problem. The result disc seem to be decent (It was a cars race I recorded) I saw minimal pixilation on the disc's video. All in all, I think it is a decent recorder for its price.

Oh, by the way, I pick this thing up in a local store. For some strange reason, the price posted on the shelf was $219.00 but the register rang up at $198.00
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by masochrist
    If you would take some time to learn how to do it , editng on the Polaroid is easy and precise. Make use of the PAUSE/STEP and SLOW buttons along with REV and FWD. After some practice, editing can be done very quickly exactly where you want it. The RCA chapter markers can be placed exactly by using PAUSE button to enter frame mode and FWD and REV buttons to move to the chosen frames. Then just hide unwanted chapters. I complained too, at first, then it became very easy. You can't play a piano without practicing.
    But the REV button can not be used with pause ... I've tried it and I didn't get it to go backwards in slow motion. If you did ... please explain ... I would love to know how.

With the Panasonic ... I can move slowly backwards to the spot where the TV show ends and the black portion begins ... just before the commercial begins.

Sometimes ... there is no black portion in between. The commercial just starts immediately.

What I did yesterday before some sleep ... I started a 90 min recording session and then I started ... The Avengers ... on the BBC channel ... previously recorded on my Directv Box.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the Polaroid DRM-2001G ... is it possible the remote control described in another post could activate the Polaroid DRM-2001G ... and get it to go into reverse in slow motion.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct, you can't go slow in REV, but if you miss your mark going fwd on PLAY or SLOW just hit REV for a sec, PAUSE, and STEP or SLOW. If you step to your marking point it's hard to miss.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought this unit yesterday at Wal-Mart. It was on clearance for $100.00. I haven't hooked it up or anything at this point. I've bee reading the posts here and I'm not sure if I should keep this or not. I've been reading about these DVD recorders and was looking for one that had a HDD so I could record to the HDD and burn to a DVD if I wanted too. I want to be sure the recorded DVD would not have a problem playing on other players and looked good. I currently have a DVR from directv and really like it. Would this unit be a comparable to the DVR I'm currently using? I know there are some limitations to this unit, but for what I'm using if for, I think it'll work fine, and seeing it only cost $100.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    using video output from the 'direct dvr' to RCA video input, you will get a great picture,

if you use RF/coax from the 'direct unit' to the RCA, it will depend on how lucky/unlucky you got.

some have tuner interfernce some don't
    Quote Quote