VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I'm looking into linux again. I downloaded a version that will fit on one CD in the form of an ISO file. I downloaded CDburnerXP pro and burned the ISO file and selected "boot options" and "make disk bootable." For emulation type, I selected "noemulation" under emulation type since I have XP on the PC as well. I got an error of "cannot load DOS" when I booted off of it. I then made another disk and selected "95/98/ME" boot image. This time, it looked like it started to boot it but then got caught in a continuous reboot cycle. The last thing I tried was the 2.88MB disk image from CDburnerXO's website. This time I landed at a DOS prompt. Am I supposed to alter the boot part to make it boot the ISO file somehow? This is starting to get on my nerves, three CDs in the trash. What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What Linux version did you use? I have managed to load a couple of them on different computers with no problems. And this question would be better in our Linux Forum where you may get more specific help. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fmctm1sw
    Ok, I'm looking into linux again. I downloaded a version that will fit on one CD in the form of an ISO file. I downloaded CDburnerXP pro and burned the ISO file and selected "boot options" and "make disk bootable."
    I don't use that burner app. But I'm sure you don't need to add "make disk bootable". If you have a "live" Linux ISO, like Knoppix, etc, trying to "make it bootable" is probably messing it up by adding some DOS or Windows files to it. The ISO is already of a bootable disk.

Most burning apps have a "burn image file" mode, in which you choose the ISO or other format and burn. No other options needed, except speed.

If you can't work that out in your app, try ImgBurn, free and excellent.
    Select "Mode" as "Write" then "Source": choose the ISO file; and Write.

You can find a long list of Live (i.e. boot and run from the CD or DVD) Linux distros at
    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah a Linux section? Shows how long I've been gone. I don't even remember a Linux section. I'm using a small version of Slackware. I never realized Linux got so big, one distro I looked at was 15 CDs! Holy crap. You know, I use IMGburn exclusively to write DVDs but I never though of using it to burn a CD image I got it booted up fine now with imgburn. Cool.
    Quote Quote