VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Is there any way (or what tool should I use) to fix an audio synch problem in an AVI file (movie)? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What sort of sync problem ?

Does it start early ?
    Does it start late ?
    Is it out by a constant amount the whole way through ?
    Does it drift in and out ?
    Does it start in sync then get progressively further out as the movie runs ?

All are possible, and all have slightly different solutions, from simply delay adjustments through to difficult re-editing jobs.

Does the sync problem occur in all players, or only some ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger,

The sound is slightly ahead of the video during the whole movie, probably means the sound starts a little earlier.

The problem occurs in all players including MPC.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open the video in MPC, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option. Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number. Click OK, and play the video. Keep changing this number until the audio lines up. Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds, open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List. Right-click and select Interleaving. In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC. Click OK, OK. Click on File -> Save As, and using Direct Stream Copy, save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will try it right now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is there a way to fix a file who's audio goes out of sync about 47 minutes into it? I'd like to fix the audio and then burn the file to a DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the audio is in sync up until that point, then goes out of sync ?

Generally this is cause by corruption of the file, or joining files together badly. Best option in this type of case is to cut the audio at the point it goes out of sync, then to adjust the second half of the audio independently. You can use any audio editor to do this - audacity, goldwave, sound forge etc. Editors like goldwave and sound forge that can display the video with the audio are an advantage.

Otherwise you can cut and shift it in your video editor until the audio is right, save just the audio, then use virtualdubmod to replace the old audio with the new one.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shot my video with my Canon Powershot SD600 camera, audio and video can sync without a problem in Windows Media Player, however once I upload the video to youtube, the audio is late for a couple of seconds. Any suggestions? I'm thinking to use a tool to find out the audio format, then re-encode the audio to another format, perhaps MP3, do you think this would work?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a similar problem, but confusing. I download a TV series and try to put the 4 episodes onto a dvd. I use Winavi to convert the episodes to dvd format, all Ok, audio is fine when i check them. I then use either nero or TMPGEnc to encode the dvd's. it at this stage that things go wrong, having burnt a couple of dvd's before checking the dvd's, i discovered that the audio had gone out of sync on all of each episode, by about a second or so, and all the way through. When i have checked the output on nero before burning the disks, the audio was out at this stage. I do a similar thing with another series, but the downloaded files are mpeg and have no problems at all. I have tried the avi files on a data dvd and they work fine, almost there you might think, but my wife watches them on a dvd/tv combo that dosnt recognise avi files. Any ideas would be so good, many thanks,
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why people use WinAVI I still don't know, but for argument's sake, let's assume WinAVI has done it's thing and converted your xvids to DVD format. If it has done it correctly, you should have a video_ts folder with .ifo, .bup and .vob files in it. There is nothing else to do to it. NeroVision will only re-encode it and give you lower quality than you have now.

If WinAVI has not given you this folder then it hasn't done what it should, and should be un-installed as it is using valuable HDD space for no reason.

Simply burn this folder to a DVD using imgburn 2 and play it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Winavi has done its thing, and seems to be ok, when i checked the output useing VLC everything is ok, it all goes pearshaped on the next step when encoding the dvd. Im baffled as well, im not exactly tottaly literate on this, but i have been doing it for some time. I think my next step is to unistall everything associated with dvds and codecs, the lot, and start again, bit by bit, and see what happens, got to go to work now, will check bak later, many thanks
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You only encode once - which is what WinAVI is doing. If it produced the video_ts folder, then you have your DVD. All you need to do is burn it to disc. ImgBurn2 is the best software to do this. I suspect your issue is that you are then running it through NeroVision, which you do not need to do.

So before you go uninstalling and changing things, how about you start a new thread in this forum, explaining all the steps and software you use, and we will solve your problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK, many thanks
    john
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you do if the audio is slower than the video? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Open the video in MPC, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option. Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number. Click OK, and play the video. Keep changing this number until the audio lines up. Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds, open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List. Right-click and select Interleaving. In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC. Click OK, OK. Click on File -> Save As, and using Direct Stream Copy, save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file.
    Hey GUNS I had this same problem and happen to be looking for a solution as your suggestions and instructions are always helpful. It fixed my problem just the same, THANKS(of course I did this in avi format prior to converting to dvd format)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am having a slight problem when i have a movie in avi format and i use winavi video converter to convert it to a dvd and then it burns fine. when i go to play it in any dvd player the picture is there but there is no sound coming out i need to know if anyone can help me figure out how to fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Take the original AVI and drop it into Gspot 2.60. I would suspect a audio format WinAVI doesn't understand, probably AC3 or something other than MP3. Or it may be MP3 VBR audio. Either way, WinAVI is not a good solution. Try ConvertXToDVD if you really must use a one click solution.

Or drop the file into VirtualDub Mod and extract the audio as a WAV file with full audio processing and then convert it into a usable format. ffmpeggui will convert the WAV to AC3, or you can put it back into VDM and using the Lame MP3 codec, convert the audio to MP3 CBR audio, which most one clicks can understand.

But ConvertX would be easier.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used Convertxtodvd i uninstalled it, it did the very same thing that the winavi did it would play the video just fine but there was still no sound. So what other opitions do i have with doing this and i was using the latest version of convertxtodvd too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the simple script in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=321684
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a similar problem, and I thought I might as well include it in this thread which is too similar to constitute me to begin a new one. I am using XP, and am trying to convert a short AVI file to SVCD using WinAVI. The video is converted perfectly. The only problem is that through the entire video, a horrid, high-pitched screeching noise plays. The audio is great on the inital AVI file, and has no sync problems. I do not know if it is some sort of sync problem, or what I am supposed to do from this point. I am generally new to these kinds of things, and any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hope this is the correct thread for this.

My original problem: AVI downloaded from torrent and burned with Nero Vision 4 would have audio sync problem. Not all of the files, but many. Yet, they played fine on the PC from hard drive.

Tried virtually every suggestion on the net. Nothing seemed to work for me.

Today, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

While using VirtualDubMod to make a soundless copy of the video and a uncompressed WAV file of my AVI, then join them back together again produced a file that wouldn't burn via Nero Vision 4, it appears to burn just fine with ConvertXtoDVD.

Thus it looks like I'm not going to get to use my Nero Vision 4 to burn these AVI's onto a DVD (I like the features of this program).

So what works so far is this:

1. Use VirtualDubMod.
    2. Load AVI file.
    3. Under [Streams] > [Stream List], right-click the audio listed.
    4. Select [Compression] and then Uncompressed.
    5. Click on the Save Wav button to save a WAV copy of your audio.

6. Now click on the audio listed there and click on the Disable button.

7. Click Add and select the WAV file.

8. Go to [File] and Save As.. to save your video as an AVI. Make sure 'Direct Stream Copy' is selected.

9. It should now be in sync and can be loaded into ConvertXtoDVD for burning to DVD.

=================

I'm now experimenting with burning the original directly with ConvertXtoDVD as I'm writing this, just in case it can handle the VBR nonsense that NV4 could not.

Quote Quote  
  23. alright, I'm having troubles as well.

I'm trying to convert some TV eps (XviD) to DVD using CCE (using this guide). With that guide, I am using the alternative VBR method because the regular VBR Mp3 method skewed the audio a bit). Some eps are perfectly synched while others are a little bit off the whole way through. The ones that are a little bit off aren't too bad though and they are still watchable.
    Then I encountered one that is horribly off sync and unwatchable. Tried to figure out it's problem (plays perfect in WMP and MPC. Ran through DivFix and there were no problems found) but everything looked fine. AND when I encoded this particular ep a little while ago when I used ConvertXtoDVD, the audio was synched up fine on the DVD (since stopped using ConvertX because I'm big on quality).
    Also encountered an ep that, when CCE tried to encode it, the entire program just blinked off the screen and disappeared! Checked for errors and found nothing...although that's probably for another topic.
    Weird thing is, almost all of these eps play perfectly in WMP/MPC... is it just CCE?

**UPDATE. Just ran the troubled audio file through AVIMuxGUI and it said this about the audio: bad: 27648 , delay: 576 ms
    could that have anything to do with it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never let CCE encode audio. If you are using CCE, learn some basic avisynth. Always feed CCE the video stream via an avisynth script (FitCD is a good way to start learning about scripts), and shut the audio off in the script so CCE never sees it. Demux your audio with AVIDemux and encode separately with Aften and one of the GUIs. Bring the two together at the end when you author.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a similar though different problem. I just bought a DVD player that is avi, mpeg etc. compatible so I can finally watch all my videos in the comfort of my living room instead of hunched over my desk without (hopefully) the hassle of converting them to DVD format first.

I've tried burning my avi and mpeg files just as data CDs or DVDs using Nero and while some play great on this DVD player others having timing issues with the audio and video being out of sync. The files play great in any computer DVD player, so is it the DVD player itself that is the problem or is there some way to fix the problem files? (DVD player is RJ-1800DVXII by the way, and I am a newb to all this.)

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two ways I can think of, but it depends on the cause. First thing is to check

1. Is the framerate 25 fps ?
    2. Is the audio VBR MP3 ?

And finally, can your player output PAL, and if so, can your TV understand it ?

If the answer to 1 is no and the answer 2 is yes, demux the audio, convert it to CBR MP3 and mux it back in.

If the answer to 1 is yes, then it becomes more complicated.

I live in PAL land, and every DVD player and TV I own can happily play PAL and NTSC. When I received my Divx player, I assumed (wrongly) that it was set to output format for format (that is PAL for PAL, NTSC for NTSC). It was in fact set to output PAL, regardless. For PAL material this was fine. For some NTSC material it was fine, but for others it caused sync issues. Changing the output to Auto solved the sync issues because NTSC came out as NTSC, without conversion.

If you can do the same, I suspect your problems will go away. If you can't, you may have to re-encode all your 25 fps source to something a little more NTSC friendly.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The frame rate on both the working and nonworking files appears to be 29.970. The audio bit rate mode is listed as CBR (again both working, nonworking files). The player should be able to handle both PAL and NTSC so I did change it to AUTO, but that didn't fix the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nevermind. Oh the irony. I bought this avi DVD player to avoid making DVDs, a process which has to this point stumped me (no programs worked). As it turns out, the only way to get these files to work was to convert them to DVDs and I FINALLY found a program to do it. What an expensive and drawn-out process for teaching myself to make DVDs. Thanks for your advice and help.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there. Hope this is the right place to ask for help. I have a divx file, mp3 audio encoded that plays perfect on my computer, but when I try to watch it in my PHILIPS DV5100 the audio stops working ( it does not stop at all ) but it starts and stops... until I have no audio... is there a way to fix this ? All other divx files that I download I could watch without no problem on my dvd player.. only this specific one is not working.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anyway of fixing the audio/video sync for just one chapter of the home movie??

I have the Video TS file thats all.

Thanks
    Quote Quote