VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you edit out commercials before you archive tv shows?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So before your permanently archive your recorded tv shows do you edit out the commercials?

I rarely do. I don't like taking the time to do that. That's what the fast forward button is for. Sometimes I'll throw in chapter points if its a 2 hours or more recording. Generally editing out commercials is too tedious for me.

Of course I'm often griping to myself later - WHY DIDN'T I CUT OUT THE COMMERCIALS!!!

Ah well the life of a digital couch potato huh???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I put "Yes, always". But that's only partly true. I never archive TV shows unless they're the commercial-free DVD releases for the show
    Quote Quote  
  3. I only edit commercials on shows I recorded from the present. On tapes containing shows from like a decade or so ago (that I've since transferred to DVD), I tend to leave in commercials for nostalga reasons (especially on holiday-themed shows during specific times of year, like Christmas )!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I put "Yes, always". But that's only partly true. I never archive TV shows unless they're the commercial-free DVD releases for the show
    Then there is nothing to edit out like the poll is asking is there???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself. Archiving time-shifted programs is a violation of copyright laws in the USA.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself. Archiving time-shifted programs is a violation of copyright laws in the USA.
    I won't tell if you don't
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always edit out commercials but I do not archive them....watch and delete.

I edit out commercials because it saves 25-33% on disk space (I record 0-8 shows per day) and my wife hates fast forwarding almost as much as the commercial.

The process is semi-automatic and takes me 30-45secs per show to verify cut points and drop into VRD's batch processor.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes - depends on my mood or if I have time to do it

In a "perfect" world I would but I record SO much from TV (well it does go in waves but still) that I find it very time consuming.

Since I use a stand alone DVD recorder I just use the "SP - 2 Hour Mode" and trim the start and end and put two 1 hour shows per DVD or four 30 minute shows per DVD and be done with it.

When I do edit I use the 95 minute mode and after editing commercials I can still get two 1 hour show per DVD (etc.) but at a higher bitrate.

Often though I find myself not cutting out the commercials.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I either snip with MPEG-VCR or simply skip the chapter using DVDLab Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found a DEBBY HARRY for GLORIA VANDERBILT JEANS
    in the middle of one archive..
    So yes I always cut them out of the movie, but put them somewhere else if they're worth it
    (MICHAEL JACKSON & KIDS for PEPSI! PRICELESS!)

the film I got from VHS with commercials is call the TENTH VICTIM ("La Decima Vittima")
    is it on DVD yet? I dunno I didn't check but I bet there are no Gloria Vanderbilt spots on the DVD
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think there is a choice missing from the poll.

"Never, because in later years when you view again, you find the old commercials far more interesting than the show you recorded."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    I found a DEBBY HARRY for GLORIA VANDERBILT JEANS
    in the middle of one archive..
    So yes I always cut them out of the movie, but put them somewhere else if they're worth it
    (MICHAEL JACKSON & KIDS for PEPSI! PRICELESS!)

the film I got from VHS with commercials is call the TENTH VICTIM ("La Decima Vittima")
    is it on DVD yet? I dunno I didn't check but I bet there are no Gloria Vanderbilt spots on the DVD
    IMDB Link for LA DECIMA VITTIMA [1965] ---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059095/

According to the IMDB there are several DVD releases now available.

Oops just noticed the USA DVD is out-of-print ... perhaps you can find it on eBay or as an import.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Every time ... there just got to go ... put more of what I want on the dvd .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TV is bad enough but there are some shows that I want to see.

I HATE commercials so I use VideoReDo to chop them out.
    A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks FulciLives
    Did you know that The Tenth Victim features URSALA ANDRESS
    as the briefly clad dancer in the SACHER-MASOCH CLUB?
    She kills her
    1st VICTIM with bullets fired from her TWIN 44's

Austin Powers stole this in the first BOND satire movie (TIT GUNS)

----
    Back On Topic, I kept all the BLACK SLUGS that appeared by mistake when NY's ABC NETWORK'S
    employees were alseep when they left FRAMES labelled "PLACE COMMERCIAL HERE" and aired it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    Thanks FulciLives
    Did you know that The Tenth Victim features URSALA ANDRESS
    as the briefly clad dancer in the SACHER-MASOCH CLUB?
    She kills her
    1st VICTIM with bullets fired from her TWIN 44's

Austin Powers stole this in the first BOND satire movie (TIT GUNS)
    Considering my love of Italian cinema I must say that I am embarrassed that I am not familiar with the movie.

It does sound ultra kewl and now I want to track it down

In my obsession with 60's and 70's Italian horror films (and the odd Spaghetti Western) I tend to forget that the Italians were able to make good movies in other genres as well. At least back then.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm suprised this poll ever saw the light of day, seeing the politics behind this site:
    Archiving time-shifted programs is a violation of copyright laws in the USA.
    But just about everyone with a VCR has been "archiving" TV broadcasts for decades, so what's the big deal...right? As for a truely revealing but ultimately politically incorrect poll, consider this: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1199820#1199820
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote