VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a Pioneer DVD recorder that I lost the data off because The power went off and when I turned the recorder back on it told me to reinitialise the HDD. This cleared the HDD. I suspect that the data is still there but not accessable. Has anyone encountered this problem before and did they manage to recover the data again? I suspect I just need to take out the drive and attach it to my PC using an external caddy and recover the files. I rang up Pioneeer and they said the files are in Linux format. Will this make a differenc or will an mpeg in Linux be the same as one using say FAT32 etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jonathan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest Easy Recovery Professional by Ontrack, it has done a good job of recovering data that was accidentally lost for me before. It doesn't work well with physically damaged drives though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Linux formatted Drive is unreadable under windows.
    Install ubuntu Linux(or run a Live CD) and then attach your drive. type "recover my tv files" and you should be ok, maybe, ho-hum
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What that means is that you will need to be 'running Linux' in order to 'see' that hdd format. But that is not that big a deal nowdays. I think you can download and burn to CD what is called Bootable Linux or Live Linux CD Distributions. I've tried Railslive v0.2.1 and it's pretty nice. I have also tried Phlak Bootable Linux, It too wasn't bad.

You will probably also need a Linux version of something like "Free Undelete" to be able to recover the deleted files. I think the bootable Linux can write to a hdd after you mount it.(?)

You might need to do a little reading on this one. I messed with Linux when it first came out but I can't remember all that important stuff anymore.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dont bother with the external caddy if you can help it. I honestly wouldnt bother, its a lot of effort for shows that WILL be repeated.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote