VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im taping from VHS to DVD ,i have 2 shows on one tape,the one show i crappy playin thru the dvd,its real curvy and stuff,and i dont know why,any ideas? the other show from the tape is fine.Other tapes are comin out like this to,im i just play thru the tv its fine,thru the dvd its crappy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are the waves moving or stationary? Moving may be electrical interference, though from what, I don't know. Maybe a bad cable?

And GlassOnion, please don't double post. I've locked the duplicate topic. If you want a topic moved to another forum, PM a Mod.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help if you gave us more information such as:

1.) Model/Make of the DVD recorder

2.) More info about the VHS
    a.) pre-record commercial tape or home recording
    b.) what recording speed
    c.) if home recorded what was the source

3.) Model/Make of the VHS VCR you are using

4.) Connection information (composite video ... S-Video ... etc.)

5.) Post a screen shot from the video that is giving you trouble

Thanks!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    panasonic dvd recorder,panasonic vcr,home recording off tv from 1988,both are off ppv.the regualr red yellow white cables,..one show is fine from the tape the other is wavy and moving,some times fine and sometimes not.

BTW its also like that when im just playin it thru the dvd recorder not recording
    Sorry for the double post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When someone asks you questions do you only answer the questions you feel like answering?

You left out some info.

Plus you need to either describe the problem in more detail than to simply say it is "wavy" and "moving". A screen shot from the DVD showing the problem would be best ... maybe even a short video clip.

http://www.rapidshare.com/ is a free site where you can upload a file up to 100MB in size. A great free easy way to upload a short video showing the problem.

There are a variety of tools (freeware to boot) that allow you to RIP the DVD to your computer and then cut out a small portion of the video.

No one can help you without all the details and the more details the better.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds to me like the problem is in the taped video quality. If a VCR has too much wow/flutter or jitter from mechanical slop, the frame and field timing won't be correct, and you could get the type of distortion you described.

A TV is alot more forgiving with poor quality video. It's a whole new ballgame when you try to digitize it for DVD authoring

While the Panasonic likely has a built-in timebase corrector (TBC), it's a line TBC and not a frame or field TBC, so the vertical info. is not restored.

Unfortunately the only sure way to remove it is to pipe it through a full-frame timebase corrector ($300 min.) to restore the timing, or a cheaper alternative - send it to a transfer service and let them transfer it for you. It'll cost about $10/tape.
    Quote Quote