VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I sent my JVC DR-M100S in for repair a few weeks ago because it would not recognize any DVD discs, bought or blank. The machine returned yesterday and seems to work fine now. I'd really like to know what was wrong with it for future possible repairs, but the invoice that came with the machine is not very specific. I was wondering if anybody on this forum with more experience with JVC machines and/or repairs had any idea what some these part numbers and abbreviated descriptions meant?:

There are two parts that were apparently supplied:
    1. Part No: QAL0704-M100KIT; Description: DVD unit
    2. Part No: LPA10289-01C; Description: Digi.Pwb Assy

They marked in the Customer Complaint field: Unit in warning mode, loading shows in display, read letter!!! (not very accurate per the description I sent in, but if they understand it...)

Then in the "service performed" area it says:
    Electrical part
    Unit parts
    P.W. board assy

I know this is a little technical, and maybe nobody knows the answer to this info. But I figured I'd post about it and maybe if someone out there has a similar DR-M100 problem in the future, this may help them figure out the error. Looking forward to seeing if anyone has any insight! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just checked J&R Part Search and found nothing. Those must be "units"....like complete circuit boards.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    QAL0704-M100KIT - replace dvd unit (lens , motorized load unit) + control circuit (1 piece assembly)
    LPA10289-01C - Power board assembly

The unit bellied up , and the circuits were partially fried due the electronic failure ... this is why the unit appeared to still function , but would not touch any disc's ... make sure it's on an appropriate power board .

Lucky your's was under warrantee .

You'll find those numbers on the replacement components inside the unit .
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's really good I sent it in then!

This was a machine that was hardly overworked. I bought it in December 2005 and it did not see too much use (although when I did use it to transfer tapes, I was very happy with the quality it provided).

This does not bode well for the quality of JVC parts, if much of the apparatus had to be replaced! I wonder how long it will last now.

Thanks for the "translation"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC parts are no better or worse than any other DVD recorder. Its a commodity world. Everyone has cost reduced. Direct byproduct is too much heat which leads to component failure.

Product differences today are primarily software/firmware - no difference in manufacturing cost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    JVC parts are no better or worse than any other DVD recorder. Its a commodity world. Everyone has cost reduced. Direct byproduct is too much heat which leads to component failure. Product differences today are primarily software/firmware - no difference in manufacturing cost.
    That pretty much sums it up!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    JVC parts are no better or worse than any other DVD recorder. Its a commodity world. Everyone has cost reduced. Direct byproduct is too much heat which leads to component failure. Product differences today are primarily software/firmware - no difference in manufacturing cost.
    That pretty much sums it up!
    Yes agreed. Except with JVC they fail more often because of poor design. The design was so poor that JVC now relies on LG to manufacture their DVD recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What they replaced is not enough to say if there is a parts or application problem. Service center technicians are taught to replace entire assemblies to save time. This is particularly true of assemblies with surface mount parts which are very difficult to remove and replace.

They usually start with an assembly they suspect and replace boards until the unit works. It may not even have been necessary to replace both assemblies. These units typically only have five assemblies ( front panel, power supply, main board, digital board, and the dvd drive ).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe that is why the repairs do not last long. They replace one failed poorly engineered board with another poorly engineered board.
    Quote Quote