VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Sorry I’m a bit new to the stand alone recorders so I’m hoping for some clarification on a few things before I go out and buy a Polaroid DRM-2001G.

Question 1: I noticed many people unhappy because the Tuner is Mono. If I recall correctly the tuner is the player’s ability to receive analog TV? So if I have satellite would this model record from that source in mono or stereo?

Question 2: I don’t know if this is standard on these but since I have satellite dose this have a Electronic Program Guide/Interface Program Guide ? Or dose it still use timers like the older VCR’s do?

Question 3: In the initial tests post for this unit I noticed there was no macro vision/region code workaround this was in July, as of recently this was posted in the “Dvd Hacks” section:
    Region code posted by kris, November 27 2006:
    Macro hack:
    Power On. Tray Open. Press 0 0 8 6 0 0 0 slowly on the remote. Then press Okay. May need to be done every time unit is turned on.
    Dose anyone know if this works?

Also can anyone recommend any other players in the similar price range that may be a better choice?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. GTLifter,

If you use the Audio in connectors, it's stereo. The unit only Outputs 480p btw, but you can actually input an S-Video signal to it from your receiver, and it will output it in component.

Don't know about the hack, haven't tried it.

It's timer really sucks, and leaves a blinking logo on the screen which is not recorded until the timer is done.

I am NOT a fan a DVD Recorders. I like to capture stuff via DV and then clean it up, but of the 2 DVD Recorders I own, the Polaroid FAR exceeds my Lite-on 5006 in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,
    Thanks for the help with my post. I’m really interested in this more for the DVR function and dvd for backing up so I’m looking for a unit that has a working guide similar to tivo for my dish network? Is there one in a dvd recorder or and I stuck with just DVR?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry there is no EPG on the Polaroid. It's exactly like the old VCRs where you pick an input source, start and stop times/dates and how often the recording function is to occur. You do get to enter a name but it's limitied to 8 (?10?) characters in length. Pretty basic and a bit of a PITA to setup but after that it does work nice.

Can't tell you anything about the hack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am very new to the Polaroid DRM-2001G and need help connecting this to my DirectTV HD-DVR then to a Sony 60"Wega LCD/HD TV and then to my Home Theater system. I have searched many websites and followed all instructions but still CANNOT get the channels to scan in. I have this feeling that I have to run a video connection straight from Direct TV into the TV and then use S-Video to send the satellite signal into the Polariod DVR but am not sure what to do. Please help with any advice or instructions out there. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wencassi: if you haven't solved your connectivity problem, suggest you get on the below identified thread and ask your question. I don't know how to do it but someone on this forum likely will be able to help you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487&page=68&pp=30
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hack does not work. Does anyone else have a new hack?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had a Poloriod unit sometime back

IF anyone is intrested id the Poloriod units this thread covers them well.
    The post by [kain] spells out the good and bad points, by the numbers.

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3433
    Quote Quote