VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16
FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi NoLogic

I finally found the latest build in the middle of this forum on a link.
    I'm a bit confused. I'm running Win7 64 bit. I have Dotnet 4.5 and all the redistributables for VC2005, VC2008 and VC2010
    But Dotnet 2.0 is for WinXP and 2003. Not sure what it will do to my Win7 install if I install it. I thought that all dotnets after 2.0 actually included the core of 2.0 and would let you run anything from 2.0 or above. I'm not too keen to install an incompatible version of Dotnet on my PC without being sure it wont screw things up!!
    I tried to run VideoGain as is and got an code error.

I have leaned a lot about AAC and other forms of ReplayGain since trying out VideoGain!!
    I tried Mp4Gain and just can't get it to work. But videogain sounds great and you seem to be an active developer so I'm keen to support this if I can get it to work!!
    Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .Net 2.0 isn't needed for Vista and above, as it is already part of the OS installation.

Is it working at all? In other words it's processing some files but not others...

I see you are from Hong Kong...so maybe you have some non-latin based file and/or folder names? I'm actually not sure if this could be a problem or not. I just know I have yet to address different code pages or Unicode, when it comes to files & folders.

Maybe it's a matter of how long the string is to the files\folders in question are...as I don't have any code in place to deal with file\folder paths that are longer than 256 char at the present...which is something I should address...along with Unicode support if that to is required.

Do a simple test for now...copy one of the files it didn't process, and rename & place it to:
    "C:\Foo\bar.mp4"

Then try and process folder "C:\Foo\"

This should help narrow the issue down, since it's a latin based naming, and the pathing is well under 256 char.

If that works, then try a non-latin based name for the file it's self...but with a new copy of original file.

If that works...then let me know how many char are in the original path name. If it's shorter than 256 char...we'll have to figure out why it's failing.

Also a screen shot of the error code might be helpful.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried it again with no downmixing and it worked. I then tried with Stereo downmixing and it worked. When I initially got the error I thought it was perhaps because I didn't have the correct DotNet binaries. But you confirmed I did so when I tried again, it seemed to work. It would help if you clarified the Dotnet requirement in the read me. i.e. For Vista or above it is already included so not thus needed!

There are other issues however with Videogain that make it difficult to use for me These are the issues I found:
    1. It doesn't preserve the name (or code) of the audio track. It becomes blank. The track is there but some players are looking for the language code. I haven't tried it with more than one audio track yet but I'm guessing that it would be the same and thus you would have no way to select the correct audio track in iTunes or other such players. I found that with Mediplayer on Win 7, the audio-track didn't play. Mine must be looking for English.

The second issue is that if you have metadata and artwork in the MP4 file, this is not copied over to the new file, so all the tags are lost. The app is designed to run as a batch and optimised for this, but if I have to retag or use another tool to reload the metadata, it will take far too long.

Am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,

I've made a note about .Net in the ReadMe.txt

1. hmm it should preserve title & lang meta tags for streams...it doesn't at present support itunes tags, but will in a future release...probably the one right after this next one.

2. Yeah at present it doesn't handle most metadata tags, this is a flaw that will be fixed in the one of the two next releases. Main reason I hadn't taken care of the metadata situation is because I also wanted to add support for importing tags from Kodi\Emby NFO\XML files...so made a bigger job of it than need be for a first wack at it...and thus stalled.

3. Artwork...at present is hit or miss...in other words I haven't fully addressed it...in some cases it will preserve...others it won't. This is also planned to be in one of the next releases.

Yes you are currently missing something...Chapter\Bookmarks are not fully supported as of yet...actually I think in the current public release they aren't supported at all...but should be in one of the next releases if not this next one.

I'll see if I can address some of these in the next release.

According to Git, there have been 503 lines added & 722 lines removed and none of the changes will be noticeable by the end user...cleanups and refactors, and rewrites are never impressive...so unless I get the chapters or metadata situation improved..it'll be a maintenance release.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just curious... where are the latest versions released? I couldn't find this project on github or Sourceforge and I'm not having any luck finding a home page of sorts...

Is there a site you always release to? Or is it just sprinkled throughout this forum thread?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Need this and cant find download
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ kargath -

It's mainly through this forum thread...it's a on and off project. I had planned to do a new release back a few weeks back, but the hard drive that's holding the project went tits...so got to get a new drive...toss the old one in the freezer and cross my fingers that it'll spin up long enough for me to get all the data off it.

@ kargath & TheEXCreeper -

Latest released version is currently found here.
    Quote Quote