VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Apple MPEG2 codec which ships with DVD SP, is only to be used on a G4. I understand why, but how?
    Can it be hacked for use on a G3? And if installed does it also play MPEG2 in quicktime (on a G3)?
    Why isn't Apple shipping it with QT (pro)?

F.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think Apple is working on getting MPEG 2 into QT pro. The delay may be due to royalties. (Don't quote me on that, I think that may be the issue).
    Quote Quote  
  3. The MPEG 2 encoder is written to use Altivec to provide reasonable performance. They got the stuff from Astarte, so it originally worked on a G3. If you want to see it, get a hold of M.Pack. I haven't seen the quality from DSP, but I know M.Pack was only decent, not excellent.

A hack would be beyond the scope of hacking and would become a major project.

As for decoding, Apple relies on the DVD Player right now. DSP uses it for previews, and it can be used to play the output of DSP. I know all that works just fine on a G3.
    Quote Quote