VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question on what happens when one flashes 5960/12 firmware to 5960/37.

Basically, for /37 when I go to Setup/Video Setup/TV Type I get the choice of "PAL/Multi/NTSC" with the NTSC being the default.

If one flashes /12 firmware, does it make the default "PAL" with the same choices? So one could just move to NTSC? Or does the other choices totally disappear and only PAL is left? Can somebody with /12 model verify that, what kind of TV choices are there?

Technically, a bit challenging but still possible would be to flash /12 firmware and then blindly set NTSC if it is still there ...

Also, can one recover from /12 flash by doing another one (also blindly) with /37 ?

Any information on all any this?

Also, with HDMI->DVI output cable would it be possible to hook up a regular computer monitor which handles all standards easily?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, bad habit to reply to yourself.

But anyway, it looks like flashing 5960/12 firmware to 5960/37 might work if one then swaps the cables properly:

http://board.softpedia.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=4372&view=findpost&p=24311

Please post here if you tried
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have a link for version 37.06.42.18 ?
    My unit has this version. I'm going to install the latest "fixed" version for the /37 but my current version works pretty well and I would like to be able to go back if I have a problem with the fixed version. (And I would rather not have to rip the firmware from my player.) The Philips support site has only the really bad version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dlflannery
    My unit has this version. I'm going to install the latest "fixed" version for the /37 but my current version works pretty well and I would like to be able to go back if I have a problem with the fixed version. (And I would rather not have to rip the firmware from my player.) The Philips support site has only the really bad version.
    Dude, this is like a great version that nobody has! The one after it really screwed things up, so do not flash until a better version is available.

So if you want to have this version - you'll have to get it with a serial cable from YOUR player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks F-Swed for your efforts
    I bought a open box 5960/37 from BB (mfd : Nov 06, came with latest factory firmware) and Flashed with F-Swed's firmware and it worked great. I had problem with some disks and returned for a exchange for a brand new in box with Dec '06 manufacturing date, which came with latest factory firmware. I flashed it with F-swed's firmware and I had lost DTS and Co-ax audio turned out to be PCM, what ever may be the settings in the menu. checked removing the HDMI cable and Dolby audio was back but no DTS. Now I have gone back to factory firmware and all is well except for some jerky videos

Could it be different designs or different manufacturing units using different hardware?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by would_like_to_know
    Originally Posted by dlflannery
    Dude, this is like a great version that nobody has! The one after it really screwed things up, so do not flash until a better version is available.

So if you want to have this version - you'll have to get it with a serial cable from YOUR player.
    Thanks for the info! This plus the post just before this confirms what I was afraid of. I'm not going to fix it until I see something broken! If I do put in a hacked version, I will make a serioius effort to pull out my current version so I can go back.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by F-Swed
    And here we have a US version of the firmware with packed bitstream support!

I discovered that the ARM Code part of the US 5960/37 and the European 5960/12 is identical, that's why I can do a US version.

This firmware is NOT tested by me, but I'm 99,99 % sure that its OK!
    I expect that the first person who downloads this REPORTS how its goes!

Based on latest official FW 37.06.42.29
    This firmware is ONLY for US model

philips_dvp5960_37_fw_37.06.42.29_with_pb_support. zip
    Hey all, I have the USA model. I had the 37.06.42.18 firmware and Upgraded it to the 37.06.42.29 version via the Phillips website http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&cat=DVD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS...=Link_Software

My question is, I downloaded both firmwares one from USA by "F-Swed" and the official one by Phillips. The sizes are different and I will assume both are different.

Which should I flash the firmware with? What are the differences, if any? Which is the preferred one? Or did I mess up by getting rid of the 37.06.42.18?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The one you downloaded from the Phillips website is, most likely, the same one your US model dvp5960 already has installed. I've already found that out. You just need to upgrade with F-Swed's, that's it. No worries, either, because if you wanted to go back to the original, you can just upgrade again with the Phillips firmware. F-Swed's works like a charm! (I've bought and upgraded two!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive me for not reading this entire thread but I have a Philips DVP-5140/37 ... not the DVP-5960/37 nor the DVP-5960/12 etc.

The firmware for my Philips DVP-5140/37 is ---> 37.06.19.07

Philips has an updated firmware (for the DVP-5140/37) on the USA site that is dated 09/25/2006 and is apparently newer than my version (although what version it is ... is not clear ... but it does say it is an "upgrade" over my version number).

I've not encountered any issues so far but I am curious if I need to upgrade or not and what concerns I should have about upgrading etc.

Again I realize that this thread is geared towards the DVP-5960 but I've never seen a thread about firmware for the DVP-5140 so I was hoping someone here might know something.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i used the usa version which my 5960 is ....my player is now a large paper weight and doesnt do anything the only thing that happens is the phillips light comes on... the player wont load or even eject its dead except for light
    To my friend, my mate, my love, my queen - the honour is to serve
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the usa version my unit is now a big paper weight its dead wont do anything only the light comes on saying phillips cant load or eject...
    To my friend, my mate, my love, my queen - the honour is to serve
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi folks,

I downloaded F-Swed's US version F/W fix dated 12/09/06 and flashed my 5960/37 as per Philips instruction ... and I still have Jerky playback of the Packed AVI's ... it seems that it DID NOT do anything ... because I checked my Verison before and after and nothing major was changed.

Q1: Do I have the "Correct" F-Swed F/W fix?

Q2: Is it possible that it might not work on some 5960/37's?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  13. gonwk, I suspect your problem isn't packed bitstream. You may have a badly mux'd AVI file. Try remuxing it with VirtualDubMod:

File -> Open video file...
    Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    File -> Save As...

If you get a message about improper VBR audio when you open the file, answer "No" to the dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi Jagabo,

Thanks for your reply. I have a ton of AVI's ... and unfortunately it seems that most AVI's that I get are made with "Packed Bitstream" ...

Somewhere on VideoHelp forum someone said to use "MPEG4Modifier" program to "UnPack" the AVI's and that would fix my problem ... so I am going to try that ...

So I plan to do the following test ...

1) Pick an AVI that has Packed Bitstream .... which will stutter on my 5960/37 ...
    2) Use MPEG4Modifier to Unpack the Bitstream ... and play it on 5960
    3) Use your method and use VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2b2542 version to Remux Original AVI ... and play this one.
    4) Use Step 3 again ... this time Remux the unpacked version from Step 2 ... and play it

And see which one will work the best ... it will take some time ... but I am just curious to see what happens.

Unfortunately like I mentioned before I DO NOT Plan to do this with my every AVI ... the heck with it too much work ...

No More PHILIPS Players for me.

Thanks,
    G!
    Quote Quote  
  15. After an update with one of the patched firmwares my DVP-5960 plays packed bitstream without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the us version(37) and i cant get the firmware to work. I get to part where you are supposed to save the ARM Codes and then replace it in the official firmware, but i cant replace it The option is greyed out. I've tried just burning the new firmware to disc, but it just says unknown disc. Xvids stutter real bad. Should have just replaced my old dvp642 with the same thing, this thing sucks for xvids.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Firmware update instructions:

http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012#firmware

Another fix is to unpack your packed bitstream files with MPEG4Modifier. Only takes a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    would it matter if i put the firmware file on a dvd-r instead of a cd?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
    would it matter if i put the firmware file on a dvd-r instead of a cd?
    I don't know. The instructions say to use a CD-R or CD-RW. I used a CD-RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used a CD-RW when I upgraded mine...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you have to use MTKRemaker and go through the steps or did you just download the firmware and just burn it?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    woohoo! got it working fine now, found a cdrw and now they play great. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad it worked for you...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, this last year I changed the DVP5960 firmware a lot.

At first, hurray DDig & DTS but then the divx didn't play smoothly.

So I flashed the firmware as described above.
    DiVX oke. But again it didn't send DD or DTS to my receiver.

Because I use my USB-port a lot with DiVxes on a stick I leave it this way. And play my DTS DVDs via my HD-DVDRecorder.

Or ....... is there new firmware out there....
    Or is the new DVP5980 without flaws?

Anyone......
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'm new here so I do have a comment. I just perchased the DVP5960/37 and to my surprise the firmware is 12.06.36.33. The latest one seems tp be older. Anyone has a comment on why the difference?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's strange. That's a 5960/12 (English UK) series firmware (since it starts with a 12 rather than a 37 (English US)). Did you get it from ebay or somesuch? If so, somebody probably cross-flashed the /37 player with a /12 firmware. That can be done if you rename the firmware file from DVP5960_12.bin to DVP5960_37.bin (according to a post at phunkyfish's site: http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012 dated August 14). He says that you must upgrade with the /12 firmwares in the future. It should still work as long as you stick to HDMI for video output, according to the post.

And if you haven't already, verify the player ID from the tag on the right rear.

There have been at least three updates to the 5960/12 firmware since that version. It's now up to 12.06.36.40:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&cat=DVD_HOME_THEATER_CA&s...=Link_Software

Use at your own risk.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Squash
    That's strange. That's a 5960/12 (English UK) series firmware (since it starts with a 12 rather than a 37 (English US)). Did you get it from ebay or somesuch? If so, somebody probably cross-flashed the /37 player with a /12 firmware. That can be done if you rename the firmware file from DVP5960_12.bin to DVP5960_37.bin (according to a post at phunkyfish's site: http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012 dated August 14). He says that you must upgrade with the /12 firmwares in the future. It should still work as long as you stick to HDMI for video output, according to the post.

And if you haven't already, verify the player ID from the tag on the right rear.

There have been at least three updates to the 5960/12 firmware since that version. It's now up to 12.06.36.40:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=ENG&cat=DVD_HOME_THEATER_CA&s...=Link_Software

Use at your own risk.
    Sorry - I mis-copied the firmware number. It does start with a 37 not 12. The player is a dvp5960/37; bought at Target. It still is strange that it's a newer version than what's on the Phillips website.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, need your help.
    I upgraded my firmware according to
    English (US), Zip file (1021 KB) Version: V37.06.42.29
    I followed every instructions carefully, and finally the player reset itself, and restart. But unfortunately, it cannot display correctly. I see black and white, rolling pictures. I cannot even see the setup menu.
    Then I tried your firmware US version again, but no help.
    Please help me!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ demf,

Sounds like it's set to PAL. See this post here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic301465-540.html#1754346

and then look 4 posts down to see how kewlio was able to fix it.
    Quote Quote