VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    what is the best and fastest software to make a backup of an original dvd?
    I tried with Nero 6 but it is very slow and the quality is too bad

Thanks/Fabio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When it comes to video, Best and Fastest rarely go together.

Are you talking about a commercial DVD ?
    Are you talking about DVD9 -> DVD5 or DVD5 -> DVD5 or DVD9 -> DVD9 ?

My first suggestion would be RipIt4Me to get the DVD to your HDD, and imgburn2 to burn back to a Verbatim DVD DL. No quality loss. If you must reduce it to DVD and you want to keep the quality as high as you can, DVD Rebuilder with CCE or ProCoder or HCEnc. It is not the fastest solution, but it will give you the best image quality.

FWIW, I think Nero is slow and poor quality for pretty much everything it does now.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how to do it with only one software??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDDecrypter ISO Read / ISO Write. Of course you'll need DL DVDRs and a DL-capable burner if you have a DVD-9.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello all I am new to all this, I want to know how to make copies of rented dvds on my stand alone dvd recorder is it possibal? and how do I get the file onto my recorder? thanks

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Asking about the copying of rented/copyrighted material is a violation of our rules.
    / Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mark46808
    hello all I am new to all this, I want to know how to make copies of rented dvds on my stand alone dvd recorder is it possibal? and how do I get the file onto my recorder? thanks
    I think this is a violation of the rules. Copy of a rented movie does not constitute fair use. If you backed up a purchased movie that would be fair use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The most clueless post on this forum, EVER.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fair enough! ok I wana back up a movie i bought but is copy prtoected. so can I put the software needed onto my stand alone recorder? and how thanks lol
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fair enough! ok I wana back up a movie i bought but is copy prtoected. so can I put the software needed onto my stand alone recorder? and how thanks lol
    You will need one standalone DVD player and one standalone recorder. Put a "Sima" product by GoDVD in between connected by "S" video wire or composite (don't make for component) The older models were DT-2 and SCC-2. Do a google search or purchase at a Electronic store such as Circuit City or Best Buys.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there no way to use my computer as the middle man in copying my bought dvds with copyprotectesion? I do have a video card put the video on my hard drive the indo the copy right then play it as i copy it? lol ok ok call me stupid I am new to all this
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    lol ok ok call me stupid I am new to all this
    Damn straight you are ...

DVDDecrypter ISO Read / ISO Write. That simple. Guides to the left. Search facility wouldn't go astray either.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marlo
    Hi,
    what is the best and fastest software to make a backup of an original dvd?
    I tried with Nero 6 but it is very slow and the quality is too bad

Thanks/Fabio
    Marlo, my apology to you. How are you making out with your problem? If I had payed better attention and read this thread from the beginning, I would have realized your thread was hijacked.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marlo
    how to do it with only one software??
    Here is an answer to your question. It is DVD Shrink 3.2 with ImgBurn It the least I can do. Again I am sorry for being rude.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showpost.php?p=374341&postcount=1

The only problem with this is that if the original DVD is copy protected you will need an "on the fly decrypter" such as AnyDvd. It will decrypt in the background so there is no additional step to use such as with the free decrypter RipIt4me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. or try dvd shrink with dvd region free css that might help you out mate
    Quote Quote  
  15. The speed can depend on a few things such as your burner and the media you use. If a DVD is larger than a 4.7GB blank DVD then you will need to reduce it's quality to make it fit which will take time.

I recommend DVDshrink. It's free and easy to use, it has some great features for backing up original DVDs. You can backup just the movie, or if you want to preserve menus and extras but want to keep the movie at the highest possible quality you can use re-author mode and use maximum compression for the menu and extras, remove the foreign language soundtracks and put the movie’s compression on automatic and it should fill the blank DVD nicely.
    Quote Quote  
  16. PS I've never had any problems with DVD shrink and copy protection, it's backed up every original DVD I've tried so far (been using it for ages) so no need for a seperate decrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mr_tinka
    PS I've never had any problems with DVD shrink and copy protection, it's backed up every original DVD I've tried so far (been using it for ages) so no need for a seperate decrypter.
    You obviously haven't trird copying a newer dvd that has arccos (sony dvd's) or ripgaurd protection yet ..... dvd shrink alone can't deal with these discs .... you need other utilities such as anydvd, dvdfabdecrypter or ripit4me ..... ripit4me would be my choice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO RipIt4Me is actually a shell that simplifies things a lot by coordinating DeCrypter, FixVTS, DVD Shrink and whatever other magic is needed to get a good backup. It even has a 'put original disc in, copy, write to new disc' mode. Easy Peasy!
    Quote Quote