VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1321410688
    This auction is saying that it can get my LG DVD player to play VCDs and imports. I own the 2330P model and I have tried a few region hacks on it, both of which have failed. Now saying that It could play VCDs is too good to be true. I am almost certain that it doesn't play CD-Rs so how could he have a hack to make it play VCDs? Should I bid on this auction? Usually I don't bid on these ones where the info is usually widely available, but I haven't saw this anywhere else. I was going to buy a standalone VCD player but if this is real I won't bother. If anyone has this 'hack' could they please let me know what it is. Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. if there is someone selling it then it is a safe bet someone is giving it away for free.
    http://www.dvdblokes.com/index.php?r=0&s=3&c=80

i didn't look for it but i did notice the LG DVD-2230P playes both CDR and CDRW so i dont see why the next model number up in what seems to be the same series would loose these abilities. have you ever tried a home burned VCD or you are just assuming it doesn't work?
    peace out,
    dumwaldo

AWW MA! you know i'm not like other guys. i get nervous and my socks are to loose.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well yeah I have tried a home burned VCD and it doesn't work. I don't see how a key code can make it play VCDs though, as CD-R uses a different laser or something. The only way this could work is if the VCD compatibility is in there but LG kept it quiet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. a reigon hack enables multiple reigon playback and in this case the claim is it also enables VCD playback. you seem to be confusing this with CDR and CDRW compatibility.

the DVD reigons are...
    1 USA, Canada
    2 Europe, Middle East, Japan, South Africa
    3 S.Korea, Taiwan, HK, ASEAN
    4 Australia, NZ, Latin America
    5 Ex-Soviets, Indian sub-continent, Africa
    6 China
    7 Reserved
    8 International territory (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)
    what that means is if the DVD was sold in china but you got it cheap from an import shop in the usa you can use this code to change your player to reigon 6 for a chineese DVD. if you set the reigon on your player to 0 then it will play any DVD from any reigon.

as far as VCD compatibility you dont need a different laser to read a VCD so it is very likley that this code also enables VCD playback. if you purchase a pressed VCD from a store it will probably play after setting your player to reigon 0.

the problem you have is a lack of CDR or CDRW compatibility not a problem of VCD compatibility. i have taken a quick look around the web and unfortunatley it seems your player does not support any type of written media. there is no way to change this without hardware modifications. if you look over that item on e-bay again take notice that nowhere does it say it will add CDR or CDRW compatibility. basically all you will get is the code i gave you a link to.

if you do look into a 2nd player for its VCD abilities i would like to suggest the apex ad1500. this player retails for between $60 and $80 in the USA and truly will play anything you put in it. it supports any written media and any form of VCD up to 3000 kb/sec. i am very pleased with mine and i couldnt have found a lower priced alternative. there is tons of information about this player on the web and it has a following of enthusiastic owners willing to offer help and suggestions. the only problem i have ever had with mine was that some VCD's play out of sync on my apex even though they play correctly on my laptop. this is a problem with the encoding IMHO because i have been able to correct out of sync VCD by re-encoding with TMPGEnc and the standard VCD template.
    peace out,
    dumwaldo

AWW MA! you know i'm not like other guys. i get nervous and my socks are to loose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx a lot. You've been a lot of help. Its just that I read that a VCD was the same kind of disc as a CD-R. But if you buy a legit VCD in the shops is it a different format like a music CD.
    Quote Quote