VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know is has a crappy celeron and could use a little more ram...especially with shared video...and it has a slow and small hard drive.
    But for only $300 do you think it is worth it?
    Circuit City has it on Friday.

>
    > Compaq Presario 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (C306US)
    > Processor brand Intel®
    > Processor type Celeron M
    > Processor speed 1.7GHz
    > Bus Speed 533MHz
    > Level 2 cache 1MB
    > RAM 512MB
    > Memory Type (RAM)
    > 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
    > RAM expandable to: 2GB
    > Hard Drive Speed 5400RPM
    > Hard drive size 80GB
    > Burns DVDs
    > Screen size 15.4"
    > Maximum screen resolution 1280 x 800
    > Video memory 128MB
    > Video Memory Type Shared
    > USB 2.0: 2
    > FireWire: 0
    > Infrared port: No
    > PC card: No
    > Express Card: No
    > S-video Out: Yes
    > Media card slot: No
    > VGA: Yes
    > TV tuner: No
    > Dial-up Modem: Included
    > Ethernet: Yes
    > Wireless: 802.11b/g
    > Bluetooth: No
    > Built-in Webcam: No
    > Warranty Parts: 12 Months
    > Warranty Labor: 12 Months
    > Height 1.8 inches
    > Width 14.1 inches
    > Depth 10.2 inches
    > Weight 6.4 lbs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd go for it, if you have a use for a laptop. Seems like a good deal. Check and see how easy it would be to add extra memory, though 512MB should be enough for most any purpose. Shared video memory doesn't use that much.

If you really want it, I would get there first thing in the morning, unless they really have more than one. I wouldn't depend on that. I bought my laptop from Staples a couple of years ago for $400US. But they had only one available at the store. 3 or 4 others stood around, looking at the ad, waiting for a salesman and I was the only one who got it.

That hard drive speed is pretty much standard for most laptops, not really a concern. I have a 20GB hard drive on mine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    personally ive gone back and forth on if its worth my time to try and go get it. basically for me the answer is no. if i was looking for a cheap notebook to do the basics and be mobile. yes i would buy it. but for me i would be looking for more(encode video, play games, general cpu graphic intense processes) its a better choice to invest that $300 towards what i want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I might get one.

For what I will use it for I wont need any real power. My main use for it will be wireless network so I can use it for the internet.

And the good thing is that I wont have to wait in line. Someone else actually asked me about this so they will go through the torture of the insane crowds while I stay home and possibly enjoy a beer. I will just give them the cash and they can get 2 if they are available.

I thought that 5400rpm might be a standard 'laptop' speed but I was not sure since I never bought one.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This laptop is more than enough for 90% of people .you don't need a super pc to run office,IM,net,email,,,,,,,

if you don't wanna keep it.buy it sell it on ebay you can make easy $250

also a good deal at bestbuy is the Westinghouse 32" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV for $479 (Model: W3213 HD)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8120366&ref=39&loc=01&st=8120366&type=pr...=1158319080440
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll buy and sell on ebay for $600.00
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For $80 more, Best Buy will have an HP notebook with Intel Core Solo T1350 1.8GHz processor.

http://www.notebooks.com/?p=230
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt
    I know is has a crappy celeron and could use a little more ram...especially with shared video...and it has a slow and small hard drive.
    But for only $300 do you think it is worth it?
    Circuit City has it on Friday.
    First off, Celerons are GOOD processors. Especially the Celeron-M with its 1MB L2 cache, and overall EXCELLENT performance.

And did the page mention if that laptop was used or new? If it was NEW, than $300 is a damn GREAT deal! From the specs it is slightly better than my Dell 2006 Inspiron B120, which cost me $450 total.

15" screen and S-video out is especially Nice! My dell has a 14" screen with no video-outs on it.
    Quote Quote