VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a standalone DVR with at least 160 GB HDD that imposes no restrictions on the material copied from DVD to HDD. I have a large collection of DivX files recorded on DVD discs and I would like to be able to watch them straight from the DVD (with subtitles) and copy some of them onto the HDD and still be able to watch them. This also applies to Xvid, MP3 and WMA files.
    A nice option would be a USB 2.0 connection to an external storage and a SD card reader.

Is there such a DVR? Or something close to it?

Thanx
    Quote Quote  
  2. A home theater PC, that's as close as it gets
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  3. Closest thing I can come up with is the Philips 5960 - it is just a DVD player. It plays Divx via disc and also has a USB port that allows you to hook up an external hard drive. You could move what you want to your hard drive via your PC and then play them using the Philips 5960. Just a thought.

It is discussed here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I found something very close to what I want:

LG RH200MH Multi Region Super Multi DVD Recorder (DVD+R Double Layer) + 250GB HDD + HDMI + 14-in-2 Memory Card Slot

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model-2605.html

Any opinions?

Yesterday I found out that there is DVD-HR745 by Samsung. It looks like perfect choice for me. But where is it? I can't even find it on Samsung website!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Philips DVP5960 with a 500GB Lacie Porsche external HDD hooked up to the USB port. I have about 200 DivX 5 and 50 DivX 6 movies on the drive so far - most converted with 700 MB file size limit in Dr DivX/DivX Converter, a few captured at Home Theater res with DivX 6.0.2.5 CODEC on ATI AIW in MMC 8.1. The movies play well and look fine. External drive is nice as it is easy to move from PC to player, much easier than built in HDD. The DVP5960 upconverts also. XVids play OK also but I don't have many of them. The price is definitely right - $69 for the DVP5960 from Circuit City, and got black fri deal on Lacie 500GB for $229 with tax and all fees. Note there are a few specifics about reading files from the external HDD to know though:

External drive must be FAT32 (not a problem since most new drives are formatted FAT32 from factory). Filenames are displayed 8.3 on the GUI, like old M$ DOS.

Only a single level of folders appears to work on movies (e.g., westerns folder containing movies Once Upon A Time In The West, The Good The Bad And The Ugly etc) read from external HDD, but two levels work from DVD.

Again, single level of folders for MP3s read from HDD, and only 848 files will be recognized. Again can have two (maybe 3) levels of folders for MP3s burned on DVDs though. Easier for me to plug up my creative zen to the stereo as I have 12K+ files and not even put MP3s on the HDD. Maybe could split em up in folders though.

Overall though very happy with the combo. Nice to have hundreds of movies at my fingertips that I can pick from a menu that easily play on my HDTV. Simple to capture in DivX 6 on PC, copy file to ext HDD, watch on HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by witekc
    that imposes no restrictions on the material copied from DVD to HDD.

Is there such a DVR?
    I have yet to see a standalone HDD/DVD Recorder that will let you transfer "foreign" video format files to its HDD. By "foreign" I mean in a format that it could not have created itself (or a similar compatible model).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bobkart
    Originally Posted by witekc

Is there such a DVR?
    I have yet to see a standalone HDD/DVD Recorder that will let you transfer "foreign" video format files to its HDD. By "foreign" I mean in a format that it could not have created itself (or a similar compatible model).
    Well, Samsung DVD-HR745 supposedly lets you copy anything it can play both ways DVD<->HDD. It applies also to MP3 and DivX which it cannot create.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by witekc
    Originally Posted by witekc

Is there such a DVR?
    Well, Samsung DVD-HR745 supposedly lets you copy anything it can play both ways DVD<->HDD. It applies also to MP3 and DivX which it cannot create.
    I believe you will find in that case that the copy from DVD to HDD of DivX material (my statement does not address MP3) will be done in real-time by simply playing back the DivX and re-encoding to a format that it has thus created itself (namely, MPEG2). It will not be a bit-for-bit copy. If this is not the case then this would be the first example of such a capability, and I would indeed be interested in hearing about it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you will find in that case that the copy from DVD to HDD of DivX material (my statement does not address MP3) will be done in real-time by simply playing back the DivX and re-encoding to a format that it has thus created itself (namely, MPEG2). It will not be a bit-for-bit copy. If this is not the case then this would be the first example of such a capability, and I would indeed be interested in hearing about it.
    Well, I have just checked that on Liteon LVW-5025GHC+ (my dad owns one). It copies DivX material bit by bit in any direction. It does not recompress it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Interesting. Can you then edit the DivX video on the HDD?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. Can you then edit the DivX video on the HDD?
    No, no editing. You can just add/change the title.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Divx is tough enough to edit using the appropriate editing program on a PC. I can't imagine it being possible on a DVD recorder in this case.
    Quote Quote