VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi friends

I came across a tool in our forum of the name Audio DVD creator which claims to produce Audio DVDs playble in stand alone DVD player. Could someone please clear my following doubts regarding this?

Does Audio DVDs really give quality comparable to the Audio CDs? And how good performer the above software is?

Secondly, in the software there is one option to choose between 48 KHz/96 KHz in combination with 16bit/24bit. Which combination will be the best? I intend to convert my ripped mp3s. These are ripped from 128kbps or 192 kbps.

Please advise.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you'd be better off starting with your original cds. The quality will be much better than using mp3s as your source. Alternately some dvd players will play mp3s straight off dvdr's. That might save you more time and headaches by just doing a straight file burn and no authoring. I believe a lot of the portable dvd players for cars do - I know my axion 4" portable player can read dvd-mp3 dvdr's. Check out your player in our dvd player list and see if it can play dvd-mp3 discs. Then all you'd have to do is burn the mp3s straight no conversion.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are several different factors here. Real audio DVD's use several formats, AC3 (Dolby Digital) DTS, and LPCM. The LPCM format which is somewhat like the format on a CD but much higher resolution and will sound (theoreticly) much better. The audio DVD creator program can use either the LPCM or AC3 format. Since AC3 is a compressed lossy format, it will not be as good as the original CD but you probably won't be able to hear the difference. LPCM will be better but will use more space on the disc. AC3 won't be as high quality but will allow you to store more songs.

And I concur with Yoda, you should start with the original CD, not mp3's
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Also it should be made clear....

There is a diff. between a REAL "DVD-AUDIO" disc's & what this program makes, an "audio dvd".
    Real dvd-audio disc's that use DTS or DD do so by containing the audio files in the VIDEO_TS folder, which anyone can make & can play on any dvd player that has a digital output with a DTS or DD decoder/reciever.
    The LPCM or MLP files which are the uncompressed or high resolution multi channel audio files are contained in the AUDIO_TS folder which can only be read by dvd players that are capable of reading true DVD-AUDIO disc's.

These type's of programs only convert and produce audio files that are kept in the VIDEO_TS folders and will never produce the quality of a true DVD-AUDIO disc.
    They are basically just making an audio DVD Video disc.

And although i have used it before getting into the making of true DVD AUDIO disc's it does do a good job of putting alot of music on one dvd disc.
    Although you will only get as good as your original source material.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    you should first see if your dvd player will play the mp3's straight off a dvd. Just burn a data dvd with all your mp3's and pop it in your dvd player. My pioneer does this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used Audio DVD creator for a while. It creates DVD with audio tracks and that make it universally playable. One of the nice feature is it can start playing upon loading, and make the disc behaves like CD.

For your questions:

For MP3 as input source, 24KHz/16bit is more than enough. You will started to hear some imperfection from the MP3 encoding process.

DVD with audio tracks has almost CD quality, which is much better than MP3, on good or better Hi-Fi setup.

For CD to AudioDVD at 24KHz/16bit on a high end audio setup, I can hear some harshness, that I think it is from the 44 to 48Khz sampling aliasing. I don't know 44 to 96 KHz will reduce that or not. The rule is there are always distortion on re-encoding.

The software is stable and always work.

Overall, I like the product.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    product is not longer under development though....
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello Friends

Thank you very much for so much valuable informations :0

Now according to my DVD player's manual [PHILIPS], it supports the following Audio Formats:

Digital:

Mpeg/ AC- 3/ DTS - compressed digital

PCM - 16,20, 24 bits fs: 44.1, 48. 96 KHz

MP3(ISO 9660) 24,32, 56, 64, 96, 128, 256 kbps & variable bit rate, fs: 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz

Now my doubts are:

1. In my DVD player's manual DVD MP3 is not mentioned as a supported media, though MP3 CD is mentioned. So does it support the MP3 DVD?

2. From the above can it be inferred that my player supports AC3 audio? If yes then in making Audio DVDs which format I should go for: AC3 or PCM? Wich would be the optimum choice?

3. Which setting I should accept depending the choice of 2nd question? Will AC3 5.1 be a better choice [I am ready to scarfice some space if this gives better output]?

please advise.

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right ... my DVD player doesn't support DVD MP3's either. You have to create a compliant DVD that includes the audio stream (your music) and a static pic or two. I've used Audio DVD Creator - it will keep a static picture on the screen all the time. (at least the old version I have) I split the audio signal coming out of the DVD player to both the TV and Sterio. Thus my TV can be off and audio signal goes to Sterio for music playback. I have one xmas DVD that has 450 songs on it and is only 2/3's full.

I used AC/3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all dvd players have to support ac3 audio - its in the dvd specs.

If you can do mp3 cd you have a pretty good shot at dvd-mp3 - not gaurenteed though. If you got a blank disc to spare why not burn some mp3s to a dvdr and test it?

If your using regular audio cds as your source they will be stereo so 5.1 isn't a consideration - it would be converted from stereo to stereo ac3 (2.0).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Dr Dos

New post Posted: 22 Nov, 2006 03:18 Posts Comp View users profile Send private message Reply with quote
    Right ... my DVD player doesn't support DVD MP3's either. You have to create a compliant DVD that includes the audio stream (your music) and a static pic or two. I've used Audio DVD Creator - it will keep a static picture on the screen all the time. (at least the old version I have) I split the audio signal coming out of the DVD player to both the TV and Sterio. Thus my TV can be off and audio signal goes to Sterio for music playback. I have one xmas DVD that has 450 songs on it and is only 2/3's full.

I used AC/3
    AC 3 5.1 or 2 channel?

Secondly could someone refer me to a guide for using this program please?

Thank you.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yoda
    If your using regular audio cds as your source they will be stereo so 5.1 isn't a consideration - it would be converted from stereo to stereo ac3 (2.0).
    No I'll be using MP3 files already available on my HDD. So in that case should I go for the 5.1 encoding?
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where did the mp3's come from? Did they come from stereo audio cd's? Then they will still only have two channels of audio information. Making 5.1 out of 2.0 is a bit of a hassle when its for regular music. It can be done but probably can do better with on board sound fields on your surround amplifier if you want to do that.

And I still think you'd be better off reripping your cds to wav to start off at your highest quality possible - but if you want to save time you can use mp3 - just be warned.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by src2206
    AC 3 5.1 or 2 channel?

Secondly could someone refer me to a guide for using this program please?
    1. Use LPCM or AC3 2 channel.

2. For guide, just click on the menu bar [HELP] drop down menu, then select [Help File].
    Quote Quote  
  15. The MP3s are from Audio CDs but the trouble is that some of them are bit old and scratched. So using them I do not think will be a good idea. The ACDs are normal stereo ADCs.

Now , will the difference between the AC3 and LPCM will be understandable?
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  16. LPCM ( linear Pulse Code modulation ) is not compressed. Best music, less songs.

AC3 ( Adaptive Transform Coder 3 ) is compressed. More songs less music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use at least 256kbps, or higher (384kbps) you are unlikely to hear the difference, and will get 4 - 6 times more music to a disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Converting a lossy compressed format(eg MP3) to another compressed format(eg AC3,MP2) will not improve sound quality,the same is true if you go 16bit->24bit or 44.1KHz->96KHz.
    The best way is to go from Audio CD->DVD-LPCM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you locate Audio DVD Creator in the tools section, there's 2 guides listed for it too.
    Use AC3 2 channel (as your source is 2 channel) at 256 or above, and it will sound as good as the source MP3s. Using LPCM will not audibly improve matters.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you all my friends. This why I love to be a part of this forum .

And a special thanks to you Mats for keeping my request .

I think I will go for AC3 2 channel but I'll opt for the highest available bit rate- I hope then I can properly optimise between space and quality.

I'll post the result here in ashort while.

thank you again for taking time to guide me through.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello friends

I have one doubt, please help me out.

While adding the song files to the DVD, can I add the folders [respective to the albums] or I need to add the files only? That is can I keep the folder structure?

Thank you.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just the files. No folder structure can pass over from your HDD to the DVD.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ok Mats

Thank you very much for your reply.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if your sources are from cdas,audiodvdcreator rip your cds and if you're online,call cddb to find the titles,album name,etc.
    when you start the program chose ac3-5.1 and will create one good(not perfect) surround for you and if you don't have DD decoder will play like normal stereo.
    the differences in sizes from ac3-2.0 and 5.1 are short(thinking in dvd medias)and you can put lots of musics in one single dvd....you will get one cool dvd standard playable in all standalones.
    think in mini-dvds..i do it always with round 5 full cdas in each cdr...is cool.

but if your sources are mp3...let me out of hear! lol

regards.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hello raquete

My sources are mostly [if not all] MP3s. So what is your suggestions?

And please also tell me how exactly I should cddb.

Thank you or your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My sources are mostly [if not all] MP3s. So what is your suggestions?
    well,from mp3 to ac3(or any other is not one good idea.you don't tell us about the bitrate of this mp3,how was done and about their quality.my sincere advice is: (mp3 lovers excuse me)never use mp3 as source if you want to change(reencode) the format!!!.. never will sounds good but if you insist...

And please also tell me how exactly I should cddb.
    no cddb for mp3 or any other source,only for cdas.
    in the tab "author" of audiodvdcreator when using cdas,click in "add Audio CD"...
    the program will search cddb automaticaly.

regards!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't confuse src2206 - He's got MP3 files as source material, so let's make the best of that, right?
    Just use a fair AC3 bit rate (like 256 kbps), and I'm sure it'll be indistinguishable from the MP3 version.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't confuse src2206...
    i don't did it,don't have confusions in what i wrote,only clarifications.i was answering his post and at the same time his PM.
    right?
    stay reading please...
    Just use a fair AC3 bit rate (like 256 kbps), and I'm sure it'll be indistinguishable from the MP3 version.
    is "impossible" if you excuse me to write(or say).we don't know the quality of his mp3 and changing lossy(with unknow bitrate) for another lossy will be horrible.

regards!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I'm trying to get across is: The MP3's are the originals in this case. No use pointing out that CDA would have been better. Wether the MP3s are horrible or not, when you reencode to AC3 at a good enough bitrate, the AC3 will sound just like the MP3 (horrible or not).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The MP3's are the originals in this case.
    this is the bad part of the case.
    the AC3 will sound just like the MP3
    never!
    (horrible or not).
    ..i bet in the "horrible" option!
    add in your signature: "teach a man to select good and bad fishes"..you know what i mean!

src2206,
    try few samples first and tell us about the quality of the results.
    ...or post one mp3 and the resulting ac3 if possible! can you?

regards for all!
    Quote Quote