VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: How often do you run a virus check?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by laspis59
    If anyone is still using Internet Explorer then they should take a look at the Firefox browser because its more secure.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#mozvsie
    I Googled "firefox is secure" and I got over 13 million hits!
    The debate for Firefox is similar to "Which hard drive is better"
    and "Ford, Chevy or Dodge". Everybody has a preference.

I tried Firefox a few times but I didn't like it.
    Also, I see numerous complaints and problems, so
    it has problems like other browsers.

I use Avant Browser. I think I found out about it on this site.

I don't know the details, but I think Avant installs "over" Internet Explorer
    and works with it.

My anti-virus and spyware programs should be taking care of the problems
    but they don't seem to be doing the job. There are only a limited number
    of buttons to set and adjust, and they are adjusted properly.

I've used the virus scan at PcPitstop before, but I'll start using it more often!

They use Panda anti virus. When I looked for reviews, I found that Panda might
    remove adware-scanning programs. That's why I'm not using it.

Oh well, the beat goes on!
    "Technology is getting smarter but people are getting..."
    "A person who has everything really has nothing"
    Did you know "alot" isn't a word?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Scorpion King
    I use Firefox and I like it better than IE.

Oh yea. I just did the free online housecall scan and it found nothing.
    Do you want to trade computers?!!! :P :P

By the way, if the housecall scan is from Trend Micro I've used that too
    and it never found the viruses on any of my PCs over the years.

Only the PcPitstop scan was successful.
    (and AVG found a few but isn't very thorough)
    "Technology is getting smarter but people are getting..."
    "A person who has everything really has nothing"
    Did you know "alot" isn't a word?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I ran norton av 2007 lastnight and it actually found 1 adware and 1 tracking cookie. It removed them. I'm suprised they are moving into adware detection in there standard antivirus software. I thought that was part of there internet security software and not the regular virus software. Nice bonus
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Spyware (adware) are more common than viruses as spyware can make money
    for the bad guys (even if it's just 5cents per redirected webpage, it adds up)

I only use MS Defender
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14...displaylang=en

I hate Norton etc as they give more problems than it's worth.

Never allow activeX control from a webpage unless it's from a fortune500 company.

Never go to serial/crack webpages, nowadays they are just full with spyware.

Re-install Windows once every 6 months, from scratch to kill any viruses/spywares.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyp12
    Re-install Windows once every 6 months, from scratch to kill any viruses/spywares.
    I haven't reinstalled xp sp2 for more than 2 years now and I haven't had any system issues or viruses that have lingered. Actually the adware was the only thing my nav2007 found. It updates automatically and I run the full scan once in awhile.

Originally Posted by tonyp12
    Never go to serial/crack webpages, nowadays they are just full with spyware.
    Well there are other moral/political/economic reasons to NOT GO TO CRACK websites
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I need to do it more on the family computer because know one else does it. HOwever, I forget and that is probably why the computer is so bad at the moment. I also need to discard a lot of crap. Ahhh their isn't enough time in the day.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I cant say that I think Firefox is the ultimate browser and I actually liked IE but its mentioned on many sites that since users have installed Firefox that they reported less/no spyware secretly installed and website pages do load faster than IE.I trust it to prevent spyware infections more that M$ IE.

Like mentioned,you can be put off by Firefox when first trying it as you have gotten so used to IE but after a while you get used to it.When I first installed Firefox,I must admit,I was put off by some things like that annoying popup when downloads have completed and decided to uninstall within a couple of hours of using it.Since then I thought I'd install it again and give it a decent trial.

I think I'll stick with Firefox from now on.

Choose what you prefer is what I say but its nice to have a browser with better security to go with Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware,dont you think.You need it with all the malicious crap on the web nowadays
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The autoscan feature is genius because I would never remember when to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My V3 Pro autoscan every week ...
    Now worries ...
    Regards,
    [Digital].
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Weekly antivirus, antirootkit, antispyware/adware, registry analysis, cleaning and defragging ..and defrag HD every 3 days or so.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like a full time job...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I gave up on Norton a long time ago.

I tried a few others with the EICAR test virus...

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

AVG..... Didn't detect the test virus when I downloaded it and
    didn't find it during a scan.

Panda..... Didn't detect the test virus when I downloaded it but
    did find it during a scan.

NOD32..... Here's a screenshot of what happened when I tried to download EICAR
    with NOD32 enabled.....

Click for a larger view.

A man walked into his son's room and said..."Son, that will cause blindness."
    The boy said, "Dad, I'm over here."
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i check my PC monthly, but think that it's too rare!! i have to make myself do it weekly maybe....
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have been using AVG free edition and AVG anti-spyware for quite sometime. Both are running in the background always. So far both are doing their job well ! Although I do a full manual scan every couple of days or so. And yes, both have auto update feature enable.

BTW is anyone using Windows Defender ? Does it really defend you against anything or just eat away your CPU cycles & memory !!
    When I was born I was so shocked that I could'nt speak for 18 months.
    Quote Quote