VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have few questions about settings in WinDV

1. What mean option Discontinuity treshold.

2.Max avi size: What should to type that WinDV dont split my captures at 3.96 GB(i have NTFS partition)

3.What mean option every N-th frame?

And last what mean option numbering digits(2). What should stay 0,1,2,3,4

Just to mention i use windv for capturing analog material(VHS) with canopus 110 and cedocida dv codec.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Working backwards

You only need to set a higher number of digits if you have a small file size. It is to sequentially number the files as they split.

Every N th frame means just that. if you set it to 3, every third frame is transfered, and the rest are skipped. Leave it at one for normal transfer.

Set the max size to something stupidly big - 1000000000 or so.

Not sure what the discontinuity threshold is for, but most guides seem to recommend it be set to 0
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://windv.mourek.cz

The screen shot is interactive and gives some help...

Originally Posted by SerbianBoss
    1. What mean option Discontinuity treshold.
    This is the minimum amount of time that the timecode between two clips can be different before a new file is created. When you record DV video, the time from the clock on the cam is also recorded (called "timecode"). An example:

1) Record some video, stopping at 13:20.
    2) Record some more video, starting at 13:30 and stopping at 13:40.
    3) WinDV can tell that there's different clips by the difference in the timecode. If the difference (in seconds) is more than what's defined in the Discontinuity threshold, a new file will be created.

My setting is 1.

However, as you're capturing from an analogue source I doubt this setting will make any difference. Set to 0 or 1 anyway.

2.Max avi size: What should to type that WinDV dont split my captures at 3.96 GB(i have NTFS partition)
    Do your sums based on:

1) PAL = 25 frames per second or NTSC is (just about) 30 frames per second. I'll guess Serbia is PAL video format.
    2) DV AVI is about 13.5Gb per hour.

I set my WinDV to 1,000,000 - this equates to around 11 hours. Much more than any DV tape can hold, and probably plenty enough for your analogue source.

3.What mean option every N-th frame?
    This sets WinDV to capture "Every N-th frame" - 1 means capture every frame, 2 means every other frame, 3 means every third frame etc.

My setting is 1.

And last what mean option numbering digits(2). What should stay 0,1,2,3,4
    Whatever you like... If you have the filename as "wedding", the video files will be:

0: wedding.yy-mm.dd_hh-mm-ss.avi
    1: wedding.yy-mm.dd_hh-mm-ss.N.avi where N starts at 0 and is 1 digit long
    2: wedding.yy-mm.dd_hh-mm-ss.NN.avi where NN starts at 00 and is 2 digits long
    3: wedding.yy-mm.dd_hh-mm-ss.NNN.avi where NNN starts at 000 and is 3 digits long
    etc.

I hope that helps.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything is clear now.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. What about cassettes that doesnt have datecode, but timecode?
    I see the timer resets sometimes, but it doesnt get split. Have tried several different types of software.
    Confusing!
    Quote Quote