VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: What is your preffered compression format for digital audio?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So what format do you use most often for your digital music? I use MP3 most followed by WMA second. I tend to use 128 mp3 but I've started using mp3pro 64 bit more often now - half the file size at the same quality as 128.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I need to compress, I use Monkey's Audio lossless APE files, otherwise they stay on CD as PCM/WAV files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use wavpack lossless for backing up my CDs to image files and MP3 @ 128 kbps for playback on my MP3 player.
    Melde Melda Vessė
    Eruanna ar Eruntano Melda Eruntanohini

"May your days be bright and contact with stupid people limited."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using WMA 192 2-pass VBR for a couple of years. The best quality at the lowest bitrate. Using dbPowerAmp to convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't do much with my music i.e., it stays on CD or maybe I make a back-up CD for the car ... don't want to risk the original getting all scratched up in the car or worse.

I don't have a stereo in the computer room (a radio but no CD stereo) so I do have some MP3 music files on my computer that I listen too and all of those are 320kbps CBR MP3.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly listen to XM Satellite Radio or CDs. But I do occasionally make mp3 files for my wife's iPod.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For listening to on my player I use MP3. When I record live music I backup as FLAC. It's a great codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly mp3, as that's most universally playable (PS2, DVD, computer, portable players, cell phone) but also AAC/mp4.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. I voted mp3 but I really prefer wav files.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This poll should be split into two polls: favorite lossless compression and favorite lossy compression. I use both FLAC and MP3, but for different purposes.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    This poll should be split into two polls: favorite lossless compression and favorite lossy compression. I use both FLAC and MP3, but for different purposes.

Darryl
    Maybe in the future I might once this poll ages a little.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For "disposable" recordings: MP3. For downloads and archive: FLAC. WAV is usually not compressed, in the sence most people use it when ripping CDs (PCM data), unless you consider that the digital approximation (PCM) of an analog signal is a compression of the original sound since it's not sampled at an infinite rate
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Flac is ideal for me. Hacked my ipod with Rockbox to play flac files.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I voted other since Monkey's Audio is my preferred compression format. I rip my CDs to .ape files for archive and use the .ape files as the source for mp3s or mix CDs.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Remember to RE-RIP all iTunes purchases after burning a CD of your purchases.
    That way, you can continue to use MP3 format thru-out your library. And share w/out passwords or DRM

I myself use MP3 at 256 when recording from my discs or tapes to the computer

unless it comes from lesser source
    I.E 128AAC would be converted to 160MP3

did you know the www.inquirer.com
    refers to DRM as a infection!?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hmmm... Kind of a strange poll.

It says "near lossless wav files". What does that mean? WAV is lossless — so is FLAC. And what about the other lossless codecs like APE, WavPak, and SHN?

Also strange that MP2 and Dolby AC-3 were not included, as I'm sure many of us use those all the time for video productions.

For me, it's FLAC all the way for audio, and LPCM (WAV) audio when possible for making DVD's (too bad that FLAC isn't part of the DVD standard).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    320kbps CBR MP3 here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MP3. I prefer Ogg Vorbis, but I usually end up using MP3 for compatibility. 128k or 192k sounds just fine 8)
    Quote Quote