1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey!
    Buying a dvdplayer as a christmas gift
    Need some help in deciding!

1. Cheap. Not over $120
    2. Divx support. (Is also xvid supported then?)

Not a priority, but nice addition
    3. hdd, but not record function (probably too expensive)

Supplemental questions
    - Can I just burn divx / (xvid) files onto a dvdr, and the dvdplayer will show a menu of these?
    - What formats are really supported? Only DVD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX? What about avi(xvid)/mpg(not made into vcd/svcd)/etc.
    - Important: kan i just add .srt or .sub files onto a dvdr together with divx-files/mpg-files and the player will show these under playback?
    - What programs is good for making menus?

Thanks in advance!
    Sincerely,
    HaZeR
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aaaah please help!
    At least answer those supplemental questions!
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can search by features, but sounds as if you want a dvd recorder not a player:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Avi subs are just added to the same disk that your avi is on & should play from it automatically with most players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HaZeR
    Hey!

1. Cheap. Not over $120

Supplemental questions
    - Can I just burn divx / (xvid) files onto a dvdr, and the dvdplayer will show a menu of these?
    - What formats are really supported? Only DVD/VCD/SVCD/DIVX? What about avi(xvid)/mpg(not made into vcd/svcd)/etc.
    - Important: kan i just add .srt or .sub files onto a dvdr together with divx-files/mpg-files and the player will show these under playback?

Thanks in advance!
    Sincerely,
    HaZeR
    Do you want a dvd recorder or dvd player? I've yet to see a dvd player that has a hard drive. If you want a dvd player that play divx then my suggestion is to buy the PHILIPS 5960. There's a huge thread you can read regarding this divx certified player.

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by HaZeR
    Hey!

1. Cheap. Not over $120

Philips DVP 5140, or 5960. The latter has a USB port (for external hard drives or thumb drives) and HD upscaling.

Supplemental questions
    Yes. Some also have setup options to simply start playing the first file.

Xvid and raw MPG are usually supported but it depends on the player.

Again, it depends on the player. Usually yes for SRT. You may have to select the SRT file manually on some units.

No menus (other than the simple file list) unless you get at Divx Ultra Certified players. The only software I know of that supports Divx menus is Divx's encoder.

Also read this:
    http://www.jarnot.com/twiki/bin/view/Public/DVP642LisaBsAVIGuide
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe.. thnx! This is exactly what i've been looking for!!
    DVP5960 here i come
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh wait... I don't think the recepient of the player has more than s-video/scart input (32" crt tv) possibly composite infront...

Ehm.. crap. Am i right or what?:
    - The player rests solely on having a hdmi in on the tv
    - The composite out on the player gives alot worse quality than a regular s-video out

Conclusion: For HDTV users only?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, anyone?
    Ever thought about using a search engine to find your divx dvd player? :P

http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by HaZeR
    Oh wait... I don't think the recepient of the player has more than s-video/scart input (32" crt tv) possibly composite infront...

- The composite out on the player gives alot worse quality than a regular s-video out

You are right, the DVP 5960 doesn't have s-video out. But if the recipient's TV only has composite they won't notice that the picture is no better than composite -- he/she has nothing better to compare it to. Many 32" TVs have component inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

No, the european spec Philips has both composite and component (RGB) output via Scart. The component output is superior to S-video but it is not HD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But they have like digital tv.. some friend said composite quality was really low in comparison to s-video... Isn't there an adapter or something that can make hdmi to svideo?

Or better yet: A divx dvdplayer with usb AND SVIDEO OUT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Component video (RGB) is not the same as composite video and is as good as you will get on the vast majority of european tube sets. It is better than S-video and most certainly better than any S-video which has been converted from HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about the European models but here in the USA the Pioneer DV-393 is really pretty much identical to the Philips DVP-5140 except the Pioneer offers S-Video whereas the Philips DVP-5140 does not offer S-Video.

Again I am talking about the USA models not sure how the European models differ.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    No USB input on these models.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. I think virtually all divx players also support xvid.
    Usb input for external hard drive is nice as is upscaling. also Hdmi

Burn avi files as data disk and player will show a list of the files (normally only the first 10-14 chrarcters of the filename) select file then press play.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I don't know about the European models but here in the USA the Pioneer DV-393 is really pretty much identical to the Philips DVP-5140 except the Pioneer offers S-Video whereas the Philips DVP-5140 does not offer S-Video.

Again I am talking about the USA models not sure how the European models differ.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    No USB input on these models.
    The european spec Pioneer does indeed have S-video output but is outside the price range specified by the original poster.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To make things clear:
    The TV is an 32" crt flat tv with these video input connections
    - scart
    - svideo
    - composite
    (not component: no RGB connectors)

So basically.. what i'm looking for:

A Philips DVP5960 with SVIDEO

Or: A player which
    - Supports DivX
    - Has USB input (to connect to external hdd)
    - Connects through svideo/scart (please not composite)

Looked around and googled.. I have no idea what's a good deal (i was just about to buy the DVP5960 when i realized the connection issue. help me find a good equivalent... please!!!)
    Quote Quote  
  18. The SCART spec includes analog RGB which is better than s-video. I don't know if the European DVP-642 or the TV in question support RGB over SCART.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To make things clear:
    The TV is an 32" crt flat tv with these video input connections
    - scart
    - svideo
    - composite
    (not component: no RGB connectors)
    RGB-Scart is the european equivalent of US component. The Philips has both. Practically every 32" TV in europe has RGB-Scart inputs. If your friends are watching "digital TV" and it is not composite video then they are watching via RGB-Scart. The only reason for using S-video would be if all the RGB-Scart sockets on the TV were already in use. If that is the case you are screwed since the Philips does not have an S-video output.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well they are watching digital satellite tv through a scart cable between the decoder and the tv... i don't want to snoop around the tv too much... looks kinda suspicious, but i believe it must be more than scart input on the tv...

But what the hell is rgb-scart? the dvp5960 supports rgb, isn't that like three different connectors for each color (hence the name)... ?? Or is it another name for scart?

... Or do I need a cable which is three connectors in the one end for the dvd, and a regular scart in the other end for the tv?

Jeezes it's getting complicated.. maybe i just should buy a coffee maker...
    Quote Quote  
  21. SCART has 21 pins. It can carry composite, s-video, RGB, and stereo audio:

http://pinouts.ru/Home/Scart_pinout.shtml
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well they are watching digital satellite tv through a scart cable between the decoder and the tv... i don't want to snoop around the tv too much... looks kinda suspicious, but i believe it must be more than scart input on the tv...

But what the hell is rgb-scart? the dvp5960 supports rgb, isn't that like three different connectors for each color (hence the name)... ?? Or is it another name for scart?
    Your friends are almost certainly watching satellite programs via the RGB pins on the scart lead. If their TV can display RGB from the satellite box, it can also display RGB from the Philips DVD player. I never use any other connection myself.

If your friends' TV can accept RGB from only one scart socket - and they don't want the expense of buying a scart switching box - they would be better off with a DVD player which has S-video output instead.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok...found something out for sure: the tv has two scart sockets in the back..

but i didn't get my answer on what cable i'll have to use:

DO I HAVE TO USE:
    - a regular scart cable (meaning there is a regular scart out on the dvdbox) ?
    OR
    - some special cable i'll have to order in addition.. (like a rgb to scart cable or something) ?

It's hard finding another divx dvdplayer as good as the 5960 with the USB, if the connection problem gets to big (like having to buy adapters/converters and stuff) then maybe i'd be better off finding a replacement dvdplayer.
    Suggestions here?
    Quote Quote  
  24. It's not a matter of a special cable, it's whether or not both devices support the features you want. According to ntscuser the 5960 supports RGB on the SCART connector so the remaining unknown is the TV. Unless thier TV is very old it probably supports RGB over SCART.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If a TV has two scarts sockets, quite often it is only one of them which supports RGB. The other scart usually accepts only composite. If that is the case then a DVD player with S-video is often a better solution. This is a generalisation as some upmarket TVs can accept RGB from any number of inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok... i don't think the tv is older than 3 years... so then it propably supports rgb over scart right? But what kind of outlet is it on the dvdplayer, if it is scart, then i can use a regular scart-to-scart cable? - that's the question...

But i need to be sure it works before buying it ... how lame is it to give a gift the receiver can't use? "Oh... well crap.. I'll just send it back and get another one that works.. hehe"

So it still remains:
    - Is there any decent alternative to the dvp5960?
    - How connect it to a 3 year old tv through the scart/svideo? (how can i check the compability of RGB)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok... i don't think the tv is older than 3 years... so then it propably supports rgb over scart right? But what kind of outlet is it on the dvdplayer, if it is scart, then i can use a regular scart-to-scart cable? - that's the question...
    Almost every DVD player sold in europe has a scart socket. The Philips most certainly does. All will output composite video via scart. Most will output RGB video via scart. Some will output S-video via scart.

But i need to be sure it works before buying it ... how lame is it to give a gift the receiver can't use? "Oh... well crap.. I'll just send it back and get another one that works.. hehe"
    Exactly, so a player which outputs S-video either via scart or via an S-video socket is your safest option.

So it still remains:
    - Is there any decent alternative to the dvp5960?
    - How connect it to a 3 year old tv through the scart/svideo? (how can i check the compability of RGB)
    The latter is almost impossible unless you have access to the TV or at least the user manual. Virtually any DVD player sold in europe will work with your friends' TV. Since it is a gift they are hardly in a position to complain if it only connects via composite (which is still pretty good and much better than VHS by the way).
    Quote Quote  
  28. Get the model number of the TV and look it up on the web. If you get a chance, swap the SCART connector from the Satellite receiver and see if the picture gets worse. Maybe you can make up an excuse like "maybe the picture is better on the other connector..."

I was also going to point out that composite isn't that much worse than s-video!

I don't know of any other players that include a USB port to which you can hook up an external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    very good suggestions from both of you.. thanks!

too bad nobody knows about a decent replacement for the 5960, but if the composite isn't that bad in comparison to svideo.. then maybe it's worth a shot. I know it's a common procedure to set up the laptop (w/ the external hdd) to the tv to watch movies... that's why i want the usb option so bad..

i'll try to find out the model no. ... perhaps we will find out once and for all if the scart between the tv and the dvd will offer hq rgb or inferior composite output..
    Quote Quote