VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys,

I just bought a Toshiba D-RW2 all the features and everything seems great, I'm really happy with it except for on thing, when I record, all I record is static. Alright now for the specifics, I have a Magnasonic TV which most of you guys havent heard of, it's a pritty good TV that I bought for $200 about 5years ago, it doesn't have audio video inputs so I bought an RF switch. I connected it and I managed to get into the Toshiba menu, I autoprogramed all the channels. So what I do is I put my tv on channel 3, then I turn on the DVD recorder and from that point on I attempt to flip through the channels. As I flip through the channels the tv screen is just blue with no picture. So from that point I will put it on a channel through the DVD player and press record even though I can't see anything. Then I stop the recording and I attempt to watch it and all I can playback is black static.

So any help would be appreciated,
    Thank-You,
    Daniel
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try this. Lower right hand corner of the remote is the input select button. Press it until you get the the RF/coax input. I'm guessing you are on Line 1 which is the typical power on default.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may sound silly, but do you have it hooked up properly? The coax should come from your wall jack into the recorder. Then, you should output from the recorder into the TV via the RF modulator. The TV will stay on channel 3 all the time. You will change channels on the recorder. It sounds like you have no input into the recorder
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would also help if you tell us if you have cable or satellite and if you use a box or if you plug the RF straight into the TV or do you use "rabbit ear" antennae or what?

Not to be rude but all of this should be covered in the manual. This is really basic stuff here we are talking about.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not only that. The D-RW2 is made by Toshiba. Not Samsung. Take a deep breath. Sit down with the manual and everything will be fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ polesel31:
    Almost forgot:
    First of all, welcome to our forum. To make your stay here as nice and fruitful as possible, take your time and read our forum rules/AUP.

Please use a more descriptive topic heading. Use the edit function. I'll even give you a suggestion: Problem recording with Samsung D-RW2

From the AUP:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. The use of CAPS in the title is considered shouting - and should be avoided
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this. Lower right hand corner of the remote is the input select button. Press it until you get the the RF/coax input. I'm guessing you are on Line 1 which is the typical power on default.
    no input on remote

This may sound silly, but do you have it hooked up properly? The coax should come from your wall jack into the recorder. Then, you should output from the recorder into the TV via the RF modulator. The TV will stay on channel 3 all the time. You will change channels on the recorder. It sounds like you have no input into the recorder
    well this is what I have now...the DVD recorder has the cable in the antenna in, antenna out goes to the rf switch, video goes from the dvd recorder from video out to the rf, l and r audio go from the audio out on the dvd recorder to the re. The rf has an out that goes to the tv. So basically it looks like this

I drew something out in paint and I attatched it so see that for my set up... lol dont mind the 5year old crayon skills...

It would also help if you tell us if you have cable or satellite and if you use a box or if you plug the RF straight into the TV or do you use "rabbit ear" antennae or what?

Not to be rude but all of this should be covered in the manual. This is really basic stuff here we are talking about.

I have cable and you can see by the set up, how I do it...it wasn't that simple, I'm usually really good with stuff like this but this time it won't hook up...

@ polesel31:
    Almost forgot:
    First of all, welcome to our forum. To make your stay here as nice and fruitful as possible, take your time and read our forum rules/AUP.

Please use a more descriptive topic heading. Use the edit function. I'll even give you a suggestion: Problem recording with Samsung D-RW2

From the AUP: Quote:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.

/Mats
    thanks so much man...yeah the title was at an urgent moment during the day were if I didn't get some feedback I was going to go nuts so I wrote the title in a way that I thought would get people to reply right away...thanks for the info and I'll remember that for next time...

Quote Quote  
  9. What exactly do you believe is the reason for the switch? I don't see any.

What brand and model is the recorder?

I still think you have your recorder (whatever the brand) set to the wrong input. You are recording from an input that has no source material. Again. Read the manual. Look at your remote. And set the input to RF.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    What exactly do you believe is the reason for the switch? I don't see any.

What brand and model is the recorder?

I still think you have your recorder (whatever the brand) set to the wrong input. You are recording from an input that has no source material. Again. Read the manual. Look at your remote. And set the input to RF.
    I have no input on my remote though! What do I do then?
    Quote Quote  
  11. what brand and model is the recorder? There is no Samsung D-RW2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    what brand and model is the recorder? There is no Samsung D-RW2
    oops my bad it's a Toshiba, I meant to type that, don't know why I wrote Samsung lol...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do you have a remote? If you do the model number of the remote is SE-R0123. The button in the lower right hand corner is labeled "input select". There is no other answer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no it came with an SE-R0225...their is know button that says input on my remote...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Do you have a manual?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here is another thing to be aware of:

"RF Output: The RF Output only insures accessibility of broadcast signals to your TV. Disc playback is not output through the RF output, therefore, you must connect the recorder to a video input (composite, S-Video, or component) on the TV. If your TV only has an RF input, you will need an RF modulator (such as 209MINI)."

So thus the purpose for your switch. I still believe you need to read the manual and determine how to set the input source. Once you have figured that out see what happens.

If you can see the recorder's setup menu then you have a video path to the television. Again you need to find out how to set the input source.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok guess I'm gonna have to search around more...the manual says nothing about the inputs, it tells you how to set it up but it doesn't explain much else...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o but wait...I am using an rf modulator because I bought one because I didn't have the audio, and video inputs on my tv...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @polesel31:
    OK, so now I've even changed the topic heading for you...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    @polesel31:
    OK, so now I've even changed the topic heading for you...

/Mats
    Except it is a Toshiba D-RW2 not a Samsung D-RW2 :P

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by polesel31 View Post
    ok guess I'm gonna have to search around more...the manual says nothing about the inputs, it tells you how to set it up but it doesn't explain much else...
    6 years later... Oh well, better late than never...
    The manual DOES tell you how to select inputs (like the front VGA, the rear VGA, etc. It is done with a sequence of strokes with the
    SELECT and the /\ and \/ keys (the UP and DOWN keys). In your manual, read Page 68 and on.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldsniper View Post
    Originally Posted by polesel31 View Post
    6 years later... Oh well, better late than never...
    The manual DOES tell you how to select inputs (like the front VGA, the rear VGA, etc. It is done with a sequence of strokes with the
    SELECT and the /\ and \/ keys (the UP and DOWN keys). In your manual, read Page 68 and on.
    No DVD recorder has VGA ports. They have RCA inputs, and S-Video inputs, but not VGA inputs.

Welcome newbie, but piece of advice: Digging up threads that have been dead for years to post an answer is not forbidden here, but it is not considered polite behavior in most Internet forums.
    Quote Quote