VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I see questions every now and again asking how to extract menus for editing, or how to get edited menus back into a DVD. I can think of several scenarios where you might want to extract, edit, and replace a menu (or 2 or several), although there are more, I'm sure.

1. You bought a DVD from another region or country, and the menus are in a language you, or your children, or your friends that might want to watch the movie, don't read. You wish to write in some text in your language to make it easier to navigate the menus.
    2. You wish to add subtitles in a different language, and you want to replace an existing subtitle with yours which you created on your own, or downloaded from somewhere. In the subtitle menu you wish to erase the language name you're replacing, and write in the language of your new subtitle.
    3. You came out a little bit oversized when reencoding the movie, and rather than running another pass on the entire movie, you want to quickly shrink a motion menu a little bit, so that everything fits nicely on your DVDR.
    4. Maybe the menus are just really large with lots of fancy motion menus bloating the menu size, not allowing you enough room to reencode the main movie with enough size and quality.
    5. You were given crummy looking menus from some program such as ConvertXToDVD.

This guide uses all freeware programs to help solve the problems of extracting menus for editing, and then later adding the edited background video or stills back into the DVD menus. Explaining the editing itself is beyond the scope of this guide. Most people already have, or can get, free or payware picture editing software. There are very good free MPEG-2 encoders (HCEnc) available for reencoding motion menus.

Programs used:

PGCEdit
    VobBlanker
    Muxman
    PowerDVD (or some software DVD player, for testing)
    some picture editor
    IFOEdit (probably)
    PGCDemux (maybe)
    MenuShrink (maybe)
    some MPEG2 encoder (maybe)

For our example, we'll follow the first scenario. I bought the R2 Japanese version of My Neighbor Totoro. The menus are only in Japanese, which I don't read. After fooling around, by trial and error I figured out how to get around the menus, and I wish to write in some English text so I don't have to guess any more. All of the menus are static on this DVD, making the job easier. If one or more of the menus is a motion menu, and you're comfortable reencoding, then rather than extracting BMPs using PGCEdit as we'll be doing, you'll be extracting M2Vs, audio, and SUP subtitles, using PGCDemux. Otherwise the procedure is the same. If you have motion menus you wish to edit, but you're not comfortable extracting and reencoding them, then I'd suggest stilling them first (making them static) using either VobBlanker or MenuShrink for the job. Although I had been doing this exactly the same way for some time, I saw a brief outline of the process spelled out by goonix of the Doom9 Forum, an outline we'll be following ourselves:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=880356#post880356

It goes as follows:

1. Export the original buttons and color schemes with PgcEdit.
    2. Demux all streams of the menu cell with PgcDemux.
    3. Modify the video stream, or static menu.
    4. Mux all streams with MuxMan.
    5. Replace the menu cell with VobBlanker.
    6. Import the original buttons and color schemes with PgcEdit.

1. Exporting. If there are only still menus involved, or motion menus which you have stilled, there's actually a dead simple way to do this. We'll get to that later (scroll to the The Easy Way near the bottom of this post if you want to skip everything else), but it works only with still menus, and this more complete and detailed method also covers replacing edited motion menus.

Open the DVD in PGCEdit. In our example we'll be using the main menu. The leftmost of the 3 pics, one on top of the other, shows the highlighted (greyed) menu. Right-click on the menu you wish to edit and hit "Menu Buttons". A new Menu Buttons screen with the menu and its buttons shown appears. That's the partially covered middle pic. At the bottom, hit the "Edit" button,and the third of the screens appears, the Menu Editor screen. Up at the top, hit File and then "Export Whole Menu". Save both that one and the "Export Color Schemes". Perhaps create a folder for each menu you'll be editing. Also notice that there's an Import Whole Menu and Import Color Schemes. We'll be doing that later on, so remember how you got to this screen.

2. Demuxing. Demux all streams using PGCDemux. That will give us an M2V of the menu, the audio, if any, and the SUP subtitle file, among other things. It won't give us an editable BMP, though.

In the "Menu Buttons" screen of PGCEdit (see the first pic), the middle one with the partial pic of the menu, next to the Edit button is the Preview button. Hit that and you'll be in a new screen where you can save a BMP of the menu, ready for editing:

3. Editing. Edit the menu BMP any way you like and save again as a BMP. Or reencode the motion menu to shrink it, or to change some text. It isn't the purpose of this guide to show you how to edit BMPs or reencode motion menus. BMP editing can be done using something as simple as MS Paint or some other free picture editor, such as IrfanView or PhotoFiltre, or something as complex as Photoshop. The motion menus are reencoded as any other video, best using a D2V project file and an AviSynth script, perhaps with overlays or subtitles to cover up, replace, and/or add text. I used Microsoft's Digital Image Suite to add text to this static menu BMP:

4. Remuxing. Now to put the pieces back together. Open Muxman, Add in the BMP or reencoded M2V, the audio, if any, and the SUP file. Then give it a new destination folder, and Start:

Mine didn't have any audio, but many menus, if not most, do have audio you'll want to keep.

5. Replacing. To get the menu Vob that Muxman made back into the DVD, open the DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the VTS containing the menu and hit "Menu":

A new screen will open. Highlight the menu on top, and the PGCs making up the menu will show in the bottom. Highlight the menu you've edited and hit "Cells":

Many menu PGCs have only one cell, but this one had several. Highlight the right cell (check Prev/Cut to make sure) and hit "Replace". Scroll to your Vob that Muxman made:

"Apply" and "OK" your way back to the main screen and Process.

6. Importing. That will put the edited menu back into the DVD, as a menu background, but without buttons or colors. Do you remember how you exported the menus and color schemes earlier (the first pic in this post)? Open your new DVD with the edited menu(s), and this time instead of exporting, "Import" the 2 files (answer "Yes" to the question about creating buttons). Because PGCEdit saves the IFOs upon opening, any time you think you've messed up, just replace the IFOs and start again. When all done, Save and test it out in a software DVD player, such as PowerDVD, especially the edited menu(s). I also recommend doing a "Get VTS Sectors" using IFOEdit. Open an IFO in the bottom left, and then 3 buttons to the right, "Get VTS Sectors".

The Easy Way. If the menu is static, there's a way to avoid having to do the Export/Import, the PGCDemux, and the Muxman steps. You'll only have to extract the BMP(s), edit it (them), and then stick the edited BMP(s) back into the DVD. VobBlanker has a really nice, really easy, and really fast feature for replacing BMPs. Save the BMP (using PGCEdit, as described earlier, or VobBlanker, or MenuShrink, or DGIndex, or VDubMod, or other ways). Edit the BMP. Open the DVD in VobBlanker. In Settings->Configure Paths at the top, point the way to the Muxman.exe, and to a work folder where VobBlanker itself will do the Muxman step for you. Get back to that Cells screen as outlined earlier. It's the series of VobBlanker pics just above. Highlight the correct cell, and this time, instead of hitting "Replace", hit "Still":

Drag and drop the edited BMP onto the "MOTION2STILL" screen. If the menu has audio, be sure to check the "Keep audio" box. Repeat the process for any other edited BMPs (if any). "Apply" and "OK" back to the main screen, give it a final destination, and "Process".

Here's a VobBlanker tip. If the menu is in a relatively small VTS, one without the main movie, then set the other VTS's to "Skip", and Process just the VTS containing the menu. Set up a special folder for the destination, and then when done, move everything, IFOs, BUPs, and VOB(s) back into the main DVD folder. If you do it this way, be sure to do the Get VTS Sectors in IFOEdit, as described earlier. Almost certainly it'll make some changes.
    Last edited by manono; 21st Jul 2010 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is awsome! To your list of scenarios I would add attaching a menu to output from DVDShrink in re-author mode. Doumo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have the same type of need for menu+movie after using ripit4me.

Ripit4me can rip menu+movie, and that's much better then DVDshrink's movie only, but ripit4me can't rip from folder !

Anyone managed to put a folder in a virtual DVD, and get ripit4me to to work on it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great guide manono, your effort is appreciated.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @SingSing: Yes, it does work. I opened an iso in DaemonTools and let Ripit4Me do it's thing. It worked fine. Even better, it was an iso set (.iso_00, .iso_01 and a .lst file), which Daemon Tools didn't read. In ImageBurn/DVDDecrypter, under tools there's "Create DVD MDS file...". Once that's done, Daemon Tools can open that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you. I will try it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    very nice guide, I got a problem thou, I did everything as it says in the guide but some how I ended up with buttons from another menu inside the menu I was editing, They dont show in PGCEdit but when I play the movie, I can tell they are there. Heres whats happening:
    I edit the subtitles menu and added in my own language, then now when I go to the subtitles menu on the dvd, in powerdvd.. I can see buttons from the main menu, the buttons are "SCENE SELECTION" and "PLAY MOVIE" but in PGCEdit it says that there are only 3 buttons in the subtitles menu, 1 "Main menu" 2 "English" 3 "Danish", why is that ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi-

Although I've done it the way explained in the guide maybe 30-40 times, I haven't run across a problem such as you describe. About the only thing I can come up with is that perhaps you saved the wrong set of buttons.

Sometimes, when getting ready to save using PGCEdit, you have to hit that bar across the top of the Menu Buttons screen (it's the middle of the 3 pics in the Exporting section near the top), and check if there is more than one menu, and you then have to select the correct one to save the menu buttons and colors (or save them for more than one of the menus listed). Failing that, here's the older and longer way to perform the procedure, the way I did it before the PGCEdit/VobBlanker combo made the job much easier:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=555936#post555936

I'm sorry you're having a problem with it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oh, so this is a static (no motion) menu? Then you don't have to do most of the stuff in the main guide. Scroll down to The Easy Way at the bottom of the first post and see if that helps to solve the problem. You won't have to save the buttons and colors. Just extract the BMP, edit it, and then drag it back into a screen in VobBlanker.

I think that you somehow got a wrong sub pic when you remuxed using Muxman. Are you sure that you didn't demux more than one menu using PGCDemux (the main menu, as well as the subtitle menu), and perhaps mix up the SUP files?

Anyway, maybe The Easy Way method will solve the problem for you. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea could have happend I accidently demuxed the main menu as well hehe, I will try the easy method

My vobblanker doesnt seem to have this thou:
    In Tools->Configure Tools at the top, point the way to the Muxman.exe

I use Vobblanker 2.0.1.0

I updatede to latest vobblanker and there it is
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    manono,

I used your method and it worked fine, everything except finding a way to update the cursor pointers on the new menu.

I extracted the Setup menu from a DVD that originally had three options and edited the extracted bitmap to now have four options (Subtitle 1, Subtitle 2, Subtitle 3, Off), edited the menu commands in PGCEdit, imported the new bitmap back into the menu with VOBBlanker and everything worked - except when I move the cursor up and down thru the options, using my remote control, the cursor moves correctly thru the four options but the "pointer" (the graphic dot that indicates which menu item is selected) is out of alignment. There are not four dots for each of the four options, only the three dots from the original menu are still there.

Where are these assets stored? They do not show up when previewing the menus in PGCEdit. In the drop-down list for this Setup menu, in PGCEdit, there were three copies of the same menu shown, in three different cells, but none of them showed the cursor dots on the previewed or extracted bitmap. I had assumed that these dots would be on one copy of the menu bitmap that was used as the bottom layer to the menu - and that this bottom layer would show through the top layer at the position the cursor was moved up and down to while negotiating the menu. But this does not seem to be the case.

As my menu came out, it is fully functional but, when I scroll up and down thru it, I see only a portion of each of the original three pointer dots at each position I move the cursor to with my remote control.

Any idea how to find and edit these assets too?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi-

Where are these assets stored?

I'm innocent, I swear! The guide doesn't even pretend to cover editing menu commands for added items, or modifying sub pics.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want is in the subpics in SUP format. You get at them by demuxing the menu using PGCDemux. You can extract them to BMP using SubRip and have a look. You might be able to modify them so that the missing one shows up and all 4 line up properly, and then put the menu back together again using Muxman. It's tricky, though.

Another way to see them, if I remember correctly, is to open the menu vob in DVDSubEdit, and move the slider to opaque. If you fool around with that, I think you'll see what I mean.

If you got it to work, even if the dot doesn't show up when hitting the select button, then that's quite an accomplishment in itself. Good going. Are you sure you don't want to just replace one of the existing subtitle languages with your new one and thus save yourself some trouble?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want is in the subpics in SUP format. You get at them by demuxing the menu using PGCDemux. You can extract them to BMP using SubRip and have a look. You might be able to modify them so that the missing one shows up and all 4 line up properly, and then put the menu back together again using Muxman. It's tricky, though.

Another way to see them, if I remember correctly, is to open the menu vob in DVDSubEdit, and move the slider to opaque. If you fool around with that, I think you'll see what I mean.
    Thanks very much. Your suggestions above almost worked : I was able to demux everything and extract the bitmaps using SubRip, then edit the bitmaps to put the pointer graphics (the dots) in the right place. I could also open the original SUP files in DVDSubEdit and see the the underlying pointer dots by moving the transparency slider, like you said. Only problem is, there seems to be absolutely no way to replace the underlying bitmap in DVDSubEdit -- or even edit the bitmap at all (the only thing DVDSubEdit lets you do is move the bitmap around or OCR it and edit the subtitle contents in text mode!).

So, there's apparently no way to import my edited bitmap into the SUP file and re-save it. I tried looking for other subtitle utilities that might do it, but could find nothing promising except Subtitle Creator, which I installed and tried using its SUP Manipulation tool, but that wouldn't re-save the SUP files with the new bitmap backgrounds either. Guess I'm out of luck until DVDSubEdit adds an "import bitmap" option.

Thanks again for all you help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Only problem is, there seems to be absolutely no way to replace the underlying bitmap in DVDSubEdit -- or even edit the bitmap at all (the only thing DVDSubEdit lets you do is move the bitmap around or OCR it and edit the subtitle contents in text mode!).

That's right, and I said you could see them in DVDSubEdit. At the time I answered you didn't know where they were, and I was showing them to you. I said nothing about editing them.

So, there's apparently no way to import my edited bitmap into the SUP file and re-save it

No, not directly, but there are other ways to do it. I did say it was tricky. After extracting the BMP using SubRip, you can save to SST. Then in the SST, substitute your edited BMP for the original, and Muxman accepts SST for authoring. It's pretty picky, though. They have to be 4-bit and a specific resolution.

Another way, if you have any trouble with SST, is to save as a SON file in SubRip, substitute the edited BMP for the original, then use Son2VobSub to make an IDX/SUB file, and then SubToSup or the latest Subtitle Creator to convert back to SUP for muxing in Muxman.

son2vsub.exe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, not directly, but there are other ways to do it. I did say it was tricky. After extracting the BMP using SubRip, you can save to SST. Then in the SST, substitute your edited BMP for the original, and Muxman accepts SST for authoring. It's pretty picky, though. They have to be 4-bit and a specific resolution.

Another way, if you have any trouble with SST, is to save as a SON file in SubRip, substitute the edited BMP for the original, then use Son2VobSub to make an IDX/SUB file, and then SubToSup or the latest Subtitle Creator to convert back to SUP for muxing in Muxman.

son2vsub.exe
    Thanks again. In both examples above, though, you say to substitute the edited BMP, but how? - by using what program? I don't know which free application(s) will load SST or SON files for editing (afraid I don't have the means to acquire costly apps like Sonic Scenarist or the like).
    Quote Quote  
  16. An SST or SON file consists of the BMP(s) and the text file(s). Just make sure the edited BMP carries the same name and properties as the one being replaced (or go into the text file and change that to the name of the edited BMP). I'm not talking about using Scenarist. Free is better. Did you even save to SST or SON using SubRip? Believe me, once you've done it, you'll kick yourself.

Or I'm not understanding the questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Did you even save to SST or SON using SubRip? Believe me, once you've done it, you'll kick yourself.
    Yes I did save to those formats with SubRip. All I got were files of 4 KB with no bitmaps in them at all.

Anyway, I found an exceedingly complex, but perfectly functional, solution for my whole problem over at the Doom9 Forums that involves using PGCEdit, MuxMan, VobBlanker - and a text editor to create an SST file from scratch.

I'd've been starting from a better place had I previously known that (1) MuxMan can accept BMP files as video input and (2) SST files are just text files that can be edited manually. I've been editing video files and DVDs for years now, but it's incredible how endless the learning curve is and how there is always so much more to learn!

Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes I did save to those formats with SubRip. All I got were files of 4 KB with no bitmaps in them at all.

I don't understand. Here's my folder with the SON file and all the BMPs:

[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/702/foldervw2.th.jpg]
    Here's the contents of the SON file:

[img=http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3268/soniy6.th.jpg]
    And here's what one of the BMPs looks like:

[img=http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9862/bmprq6.th.jpg]
    An SST text file is similar to a SON text file. Create a separate folder for each menu you're modifying and replacing, and just modify the SON (or SST) file for each of the menus, and use your edited one, instead of the original one. Yes, I'm familiar with the Goonix sticky at Doom9, but didn't think it necessary to mention it. And since he's doing everything from scratch, as you said, it's quite complex.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    manono,

What I meant was, all I got were SST files of 4 KB each. I didn't understand what an SST file was at the time; I thought it was just another fully-contained subs file format, like SUP, and didn't get (until you elaborated) that it was just a text file that referenced the bitmaps externally.

Anyway, it's all done now - I did it twice again, both the Goonix way and your way, just to get the hang of it, and both results came out just the way I wanted (once I understood the mechanics of it).

Best.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dears:

Hope some of you can help me... and forgive me if my doubt is too much stupid, but I'm a newcomer to this DVD editing stuff.

I've copied a VCR tape to DVD using a Philips stand-alone DVD Recorder. For each recording, this device creates a title on a Menu of its own. Although the Recorder allows you to set the Name of each recording, the Name must have max 9 characters (!!!), so I'd like to edit it to more meaningfull names than that.

Problem is, every time I open the DVD for edition, in MenuEdit or PGCEdit or whatever, the Menu text simply does not show up:

[/img]

What shows up on the screen is exacltly like the picture above, but without any text !

Any suggestions ?

Thank you

gja
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Click on the edit-button on your first post to edit it. Don't make new posts.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi-

What shows up then? Everything except the white writing inside of the white rectangle? Then it must be in the SUP subtitles. If that's true, then what you want to do is way outside the scope of the guide, and involves editing not the background menu, but the SUP subtitle BMP(s), like PBear was doing earlier. This is a much more difficult thing to do.

To make sure, demux the BMPs from the VOBs. First open the IFO for the menu vob in SubRip. Then uncheck the video vobs and check the menu vob and also tick "Save Subpictures as BMP". Then "Start" and when done, have a look at the BMP to see if it has what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear:

Yes, what shows up is everything except the white writing inside of the white rectangle.

I did what you said and bingo, the BMPs generated by SubRip now contains all the texts for the Menus.

I can now edit the Titles Names. Can you indicate me a procedure for re-inserting the edit bitmap into the VIDEO_TS.VOB ?

Thank you really very much

gja
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi-

Can you indicate me a procedure for re-inserting the edit bitmap into the VIDEO_TS.VOB ?

The procedure is detailed in the series of exchanges between me and PBear:
    After extracting the BMP using SubRip, you can save to SST. Then in the SST, substitute your edited BMP for the original, and Muxman accepts SST for authoring. It's pretty picky, though. They have to be 4-bit and a specific resolution.

Muxman will create a little DVD for you, and you then follow the original guide (at the beginning of this thread) for reinserting that Vob back into the original DVD. You'll need to follow Step 1 to export the menu and color schemes, and then steps 5 and 6 to get the edited menu Vob back into the DVD and import the menu and color schemes.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear:

By the time I posted my 1st "help me", I had 2 disks with correction-needed subtitles. Now I've 11, so I think I must find a more straightforward way of doing this.

So, may be you can do one last favor: to indicate some software (may be a comercial one, I don't bother paying for it) that allows me to:
    Read a Menu from an DVD+/-RW disk,
    Allow me to edit the subtitles for this Menu (bitmap, text, whatever)
    When I'm done editing, save it back to where it belongs in the disk.

Once again, thank you very much

gja

===
    Quote Quote  
  26. I don't use commercial authoring programs, so others will know better the answer to your question. You can reauthor, creating a completely new menu, with many programs, commercial or free. A lot of people here like TMPGEnc DVD Author. It accepts VOB input I believe. I also believe it has a 30 day trial. Maybe you'll like it better. I like DVDAuthorGUI (free), but I believe you'll have to demux.

As far as I know, there's nothing that will edit the SUP subtitles for you. That menu is ugly anyway, so I don't know why you'd want to keep it. You can use the background pic (just save as a BMP and import it into whatever program you decide to use), and let the program create new SUP files and buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear:

You're right, this Menu is not exactly a masterpiece... However, I'm very much concerned about the time this work will take.

Searching on the Net, I've came across a small program named DVD Subtitler. What it does is to read a .VOB, identify all subtitles behind a menu in this VOB, and save them as bitmaps, which you can edit elsewhere. Later, the program will re-insert the edited bitmap into the .VOB.

Seems exactly what I needed, but it crashes everytime I try to re-insert the bitmap. Despite that, I decided to mention it here because I've also come across a lot of old messages (2001-2003) in other DVD editing Forums, posted by people who said to use and to love the program.

So, may be you or someone reading this decide to give it a try, and find out the tricks necessary for it to work. If that happens, it will be a very nice and fast tool for editing DVD Menus. I am trying... May be some trick thing related to WinXP setup.

You can get it at www.geocities.com\saorne. The author seem to have disappeared (saorne@tokyo.com or saorne@softhome.net does not answer), and even the site seems to be abandoned since year 2000.

Regards

gja
    ===
    Quote Quote  
  28. So, may be you or someone reading this decide to give it a try, and find out the tricks necessary for it to work.

I've already detailed the processes I use to extract the BMP from the SUP file for editing , and then to replace the edited BMP in the menu. It works fine. I'm not saying there aren't other ways to do it, but just that I've found something that works for me (and PBear).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear:

You are right, there are always alternatives...

Somehow, I managed to make DVD Subtitler work on a Windows 95 (!!!) machine. Then, it took me about 5 minutes per disk to correct the Menu in each of my 11 disks.

Now that the task is done, I'll dedicate some time to learn a bit more about this stuff.

Thank you for your effort.

gja
    ===
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi manono and thanks very much for the very perfect guide..
    you know I did every step in this guide,and every thing was OK but at the end there was a big problem that I couldn't solve.
    After I replaced the menus in vobblanker and opening my new edited dvd with my new motion menu in PGCEdit I imported the whole menu and the color schemes,and saved the dvd.
    But when I played it,the pointers in the menus didn't disappear,the mouse pointer was active when it came to the pointer area and I clicked it and the links were active and played right but they were invisible (just the shapes of the pointers) and any thing else was perfectly working.
    NOTE:I don't know if this is important,but the pointers were only invisible in the menu that I've replaced.
    So what am I doing wrong?please.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    CAESAR
    Quote Quote