VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi-

You're replacing a motion menu? And when remuxing (step 4 in the guide), you added in the SUP file?

I'm sorry if my knowledge of the terminology is incomplete, but I don't know what you mean when you refer to pointers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I have 3 motion menus I want to edit (change text from one language to another), but I'm new in this stuff.

So, In this guide, you talk about reencoding motion menus so we can edit them, (I can't just edit the bmp, right?). How can I reencode motion menus? I searched about AviSynth, but I didn't find any guide to reencode the menus...

Can you help me with this? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi-

Hehe, what you ask is not so easy to explain, especially if you haven't had any encoding experience. If I were doing it, I might create a small JPEG or BMP the size of the new text I want, and then overlay it onto the original menu video using AviSynth's Overlay command:

http://avisynth.org/index.php?page=Overlay

If that's all gibberish to you, then my next suggestion is to still the motion menu using VobBlanker or MenuEdit, and then extract the BMP for editing in a photo editor. Much easier.

My tool of choice is AviSynth for frameserving, and I could do it fairly easily using that. Reencoding the menu is just like doing any other kind of encoding for DVD, just with the added text in your case. I'm pretty sure there are other ways to change the text in your motion menu, perhaps using Vegas or Premiere, but that's for someone else to explain, if they wish.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I took a look at AviSynth and I didn't find the way to do it...I couldn' even open it!...too complicated for me..

I also try Adobe Premiere but with no success...

I really want to keep the motion, so if I still the motion menu using VobBlanker, is there any way to get the motion back after editing? (This questions might be stupid, but I'm a really newbie.. ).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi-

I really want to keep the motion, so if I still the motion menu using VobBlanker, is there any way to get the motion back after editing?

Not really. You can save a BMP of the menu, edit it so that the old writing is covered up with the new writing, followed by a crop of that BMP down to just the writing. At that point you'll have a rectangle which has just the name of your new language on it. Then you'd use PGCDemux to extract the motion menu - video, audio, and subs. You'd reencode the video portion, using the Overlay command to put your little rectangle over the old language that you're replacing. Then, when done, you put the menu back together again, as described in the guide. But all of this will be difficult to impossible if you haven't done any encoding before.

It could get even worse, depending on what the subtitle has on it. Usually they have a little rectangle of color, or a little dot or something, whch shows up when the remote control goes to that language. It could possibly have the original language instead. In that case, you'd have to edit the sub_pic as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Well, I figured out how to edit my menu (I used Adobe Premiere), but now I've got another problem:

My Adobe Premiere trial version doesn't supports m2v files, so I changed the extension to avi. But now, after editing it and change the extension back to m2v, I got a very big file that Muxman can't open...

What can I do?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. After editing you got an AVI on which you changed the extension to M2V? If so then it's really still an AVI, and you'll have to reencode it for M2V. Maybe you can fool Premiere. You can't fool Muxman.

Or is it really an M2V? If it was for NTSC, I'd guess you might have to apply pulldown to make it display at 29.97, but given where you are, I guess it's PAL already.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After editing, I changed the avi extension to m2v, but I couldn't fool Muxman...It rejected the file

Now, I used Nero Vision to export the avi file as an MPEG-2, but I've got the same problem, because if I change the extension to m2v Muxman rejected it also...

Then, I tried to use some software to convert avi to m2v. Tmpgenc didn't work (I got a m2v file with no image and a wmv file with no sound). Allok AVI to DVD only converts 50% of the file... Is there any software that really works?

P.S. It's PAL alreday
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All the software you have tried works for everybody else - you must be holding your mouth wrong.

Take the .mpg that NeroVision created and demux that so you have an .m2v file. Rejig can do this for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You have a 25fps 720x576 AVI that you want to convert to M2V? Is there something that works? Lots of stuff works. I don't use any of the programs you use (heck, I've never even heard of one of them). Me, I use CCE, although for freeware, HCEnc is hard to beat, frameserved with an AviSynth script file. You can get the AviSynth script from FitCD. Here's the FulciLives guide to using FitCD:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1487285#1487285

CCE, HCEnc, TMPGEnc, and most other MPEG-2 encoders, take AviSynth script files. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but my guide isn't really for teaching people how to encode for MPEG-2. There are already many guides for that.

Edit: Too slow. Thanks, guns1inger.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot! I used Rejig and worked just fine!

I still have a last problem though... (hope it's the last...). I used PgcEdit to import whole menu and color schemes and I had to change the position of the buttons (they weren't over the text I wanted). But now, when I play the menu file and try to select the buttons, It's like there's no buttons at all... What did I do wrong?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. they weren't over the text I wanted

So, they were over the underlying sub pics, I would guess, just as they're supposed to be. And When you moved the buttons, they were no longer over the underlying sub pics, either. So, nothing works. Easiest would be to go back, edit, and reencode, this time making sure that the text winds up over the sub pics. Either that or edit the sub pics themselves so they're underneath the new text.

To understand what I'm saying, open the vobs in DVDSubEdit. One of the sub colors will be transparent. Find it and move the slider so that it's opaque. Then you'll see.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that was the problem. And also, some pixels of one button overlayed the other and it didn't work. But I resized the buttons and they work just fine now (because altough all the pixels button are not in the original position, some are, so they work). Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to everybody! I hope Manono still keeps an eye on this topic. Done a great job with this manual.
    Originally Posted by caesarhawy
    Hi manono and thanks very much for the very perfect guide..
    you know I did every step in this guide,and every thing was OK but at the end there was a big problem that I couldn't solve.
    After I replaced the menus in vobblanker and opening my new edited dvd with my new motion menu in PGCEdit I imported the whole menu and the color schemes,and saved the dvd.
    But when I played it,the pointers in the menus didn't disappear,the mouse pointer was active when it came to the pointer area and I clicked it and the links were active and played right but they were invisible (just the shapes of the pointers) and any thing else was perfectly working.
    NOTE:I don't know if this is important,but the pointers were only invisible in the menu that I've replaced.
    So what am I doing wrong?please.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    CAESAR
    Think I know what's meant by "pointers" here. I faced the same problem with my Star Wars 3 DVD(PAL). I replaced one of subtitles in the movie with subs in my language. I demuxed and edited video stream from a subtitle menu - overlayed the part which says "portuguese" with "serbian". Then I muxed all together and put it back, just as manono described. As a result I've got fully working menu but when I select/activate "serbian" button it highlights as "portuguese" in background. So I went to next step - extracted subpictures with SubRip. Tried with *.son and *.sst also. It gave me two different subpicutre streams and I SubRipped both of them. Only differrence between them is that letters on first *.bmp (0x20) are more vertically stretched then on the other (0x21). When I edited *.bmp files and put those back together (following manono's directions) my menu was still working (ie. I could click the text in menu and it did it's function properly) but no highlighting around letters was visible as I select or/and activate that text-button.

Any help troubleshooting this issue is welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi-

The reason you had 2 SUP files, and the reason the letters of one were more "stretched" is because it was a 16:9 encoded movie on DVD, and they usually have 2 sets of Sub Pics, one for showing on 16:9 TV sets, and one for standard 4:3 TV sets (WS and LB, 0x20 and 0x21).

Other than that, I'm not sure I know enough to add anything intelligent to help you solve your problem. It results from you having to edit the Sub Pic, I'm pretty sure of that. I'm also pretty sure that one of the settings in the SON or SST files can be changed to correct the problem, but I have no idea exactly what has to be done. And in my defense, when I wrote that guide, I didn't expect people to have this problem of having to edit the Sub Pics, which is a much more difficult problem than anything discussed in the guide. I've never actually edited a BMP from a SUP file. I've resized them when doing a PAL 2 NTSC conversion, but not played with creating new text. Sorry not to be of more help.

What I might suggest is to open a thread in the IFO/Vob Editors forum of Doom9. There are people there, chief among whom might be jeanl, creator of DVDSubEdit, who might be able to give you more informed advice. jeanl also visits this site, but you're sure to find him over there.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Hi-

The reason you had 2 SUP files, and the reason the letters of one were more "stretched" is because it was a 16:9 encoded movie on DVD, and they usually have 2 sets of Sub Pics, one for showing on 16:9 TV sets, and one for standard 4:3 TV sets (WS and LB, 0x20 and 0x21).
    Yes, I even figured it out my self, cause when I loaded DVD into DVDSubEdit and navigated to subtitle menu it showed two subpictures. One of them indicated as WS and the other one LB.

What seemed to me unusual is that BMP images I extracted were not of 720x576 resolution but 720x540 (when extracting as SST) or 576x360 (when extracting as SON). Is it normal, or I messed up something?

I will certainly listen to your advice and post at Doom9 too.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Oh, maybe that's your problem then. That's unusual, and I think something must have screwed up. PAL sub pic BMPs are supposed to be 720x574.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, great tutorial man! But, I've got a problem: I've changed my subtitles menu (it's static) and now it doesn't mark text, when I put my cursor on it, like before. It's not a big deal on computer but when I play it on standalone dvd player how am I gonna see whinch text have I selected?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi-

If the menu is static, then you used The Easy Way part of the guide at the bottom of the first post? And if so, you didn't put the new text in a different location on the screen, did you? That is , if you were replacing some text in the menu, did you write it some place other than on top of the original text you were replacing?
    Quote Quote  
  20. How can I add subtitles to a movie? If there were none?
    Thank you, Joey
    Quote Quote  
  21. How can I add subtitles to a movie? If there were none?

This guide is about editing menus, not adding subtitles to a DVD. There are other guides for what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, this is an awesome Guide! But I have one simple question. In step 5 Replacing, it says that I have to replace the menus with the old ones. The problem is my DVD doesn't have menus. I converted it from PAL to NTSC and lost the menus. I extracted the menus from the PAL DVD, encoded into NTSC, but VobBlanker requires old menus before i can put the new ones in Is there a way arround it? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi-

Doing a PAL2NTSC is exponentially harder as far as the menus go.

I do use VobBlanker when making a PAL2NTSC conversion, but in addition to replacing the movie, you also have to convert and replace the menus. That is, you open the original PAL DVD, right-click where ever it says PAL and change the video attributes to NTSC, and then replace not just the movie you converted, but also all the menus you converted. And as I said, that can be pretty hard, converting them. This guide, as it plainly says near the beginning, doesn't explain how to convert PAL menus to NTSC menus.

My suggestion is to save the PAL menus as BMPs, resize them for NTSC, and then use them in a different authoring program to create new NTSC menus, and a new NTSC DVD. Something like DVDAuthorGUI is free and can do the job OK, but not with VOB sources, I don't think. It wants elementary streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are about to read is the method I used to replace a subtitle in a existing DVD. It is not mine, iti is just a description of my method. Maybe someone else will find it useful.

I've read dozens of guides, as I wanted to edit a DVD and add it a subtitle I made; for me, the best method was to use PgcDemux to demux the streams (by pointing to the VTS_01_0.IFO file), the I used MuxMan to mux them back together.

So far so good. Now I had to edit the menu, to modify the zone where it said "English with closed captioning". I used Vobblanker to add the original menus to the DVD, by opening the original DVD and replacing the streams as shown in the image; you have ot be careful to modify the menu as well (check the second image from Vobblanker); you have to do it in one shot, so you wouldn't have to modify it twice.

Now I faced another problem; when I tried to click "romanian", the mouse over still had the old subtitle saying "english"; after a few other nights spent surfing for a solution, I used DVDSubEdit to open the vob for the menu (VTS_01_0.vob). This handy little program has a option named "edit subpic bitmap with external tool", and here I found the image displayed when you try to click a subtitle or a sound stream, as an overlay image.

You have to point to a bitmap image editor like MSPaint in the options menu, or DVDSubEdit won't open anything (MSPaint is located in here "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe"). It will open a "tempbitmap" image, which you can modify it to your needs. I suggest using the edited menu, the image with Vobblanker showing the still menu (where I added Romanian), copy the word, transform it to black&white, manually paint the letters black, then add them to the "tempbitmap" image by trial an error, to be perfectly placed .

I think it is easier than demuxing the motion menu, modifying the video stream (it is rather difficult to edit m2v files obtained from demuxing). It also takes little time. Note: the subpic bitmaps are 16 color bitmaps, not 32 bit or anything else!!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @tmihai20 : you can only use mspaint to edit the bitmap as you shown here ? ... because i`ve selected the path from photoshop and it didn`t opened it in photoshop ...
    EDIT : i`ve managed to handle this by myself. if someone it`s interesed : i've used the option save current subpic as a bitmap from the file menu in dvdsubedit ,after that i`ve opened in photoshop the bitmap created,edited it,used the edit subpic with external tool like it`s explained above and whit paint as an external tool i`ve simply copy-pasted the image from photoshop over the one from paint and saved it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, I've pointed to mspaint, iti is better because it does open the subpic with it; you can open it with Photoshop and edit it at your will, copy the image and paste it over in mspaint; your method is good as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To shed some light on the problem. You can use any bitmap editing software that's able to open a bitmap file passed as an argument to the program. In other words, if typing in a dos window
    program.exe myfile.bmp
    opens the file when the program starts, then you can use that with DVDSubEdit.
    I don't have photoshop, so I haven't been able to test it, but I suspect that it does not behave that way...
    Jeanl
    MenuShrink a free tool to shrink menus into stills with or without audio!
    DVDSubEdit: a free tool to modify your subtitles directly inside the vob.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi tmihai20..

I've managed to edit a subpic in DVDSubEdit.

I already created an ISO of the DVD which includes Danish as a 3rd subtitle option - BUT I now want to add it to the Set-Up Menu as well, so even retarded people can select the danish subtitles

However, this is what I've got so far.

The problem is that I can't seem to edit the actual text, but only the highlighter-thingie, when you select any option.

As you see, what I've added is the purple stripes to the right of the English Text.

I have added DANISH to my own edition of the background, but how do I replace the background and make it "click-able" as well?
    Edit: this is how it looks like - my own background

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The highlights are only a small part of working buttons! You have to create another button in addition to the existing one. Buttons are defined in the VOB file itself, but you can edit them with PGCEdit.

Editing and replacing the background video is described in this guide I believe (it's the part where you use vobblanker to do it).

Adding a button is one thing you can do with PGCEdit. It's not completely trivial, but it's not too hard either. Open the DVD in PGCEdit, find the menu PGC, then click the menu icon, then click Edit and there will be a "Add button" item in one of the menus. You'll have to place it where you want it, add a command to go with it etc, but it should work.
    It's quite a bit of work, and I don't think there's any tool that can help you do that easily in one shot...
    Jeanl
    MenuShrink a free tool to shrink menus into stills with or without audio!
    DVDSubEdit: a free tool to modify your subtitles directly inside the vob.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What you are trying to do is quite difficult; you have to edit the vob file to add Danish below spanish. You could do that by adding a button below, this is what I tried to do at first, but then I realized that it was far too difficult and I just replaced an existing subtitle... Long story short, you have to define a button over the image saying "danish", not using DVDSubedit, but VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote