VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys. This is my first post to this forum.

I was recording something on TV onto my DVD (using my DVD recorder), and right before the end of the TV program, there was an electricity shortage, and everything went off. The DVD recorder did not finalize the DVD, and so when I put the DVD in any DVD player or into my computer, it can't read it (says it's an empty DVD).

Is there ANY kind of software I can use, or anything I can do at all, to retrieve whatever is recorded on it? I look at the back of the DVD, and it's half full, there is indeed data written there. Hoping I find a solution.

Thanks guys!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you put it back into your DVD recorder and finalise it ?

Otherwise, give ISOBuster a try.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I finalise it again?? The DVD recorder treats the DVD as an empty disc, which contains nothing. I will try ISO buster and let you know. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used ISOBuster, but it still can't read the DVD. It calls it a "blank media"

Any other software you know that can help me??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try RipIt4Me and then use FixVTS. I havn't tried it yet, but I hear that FixVTS is supposed to fix the DVD files. You can also try Fab DVDdecrypter to rip it if RipIt4Me doesn't work.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for intending to help! This is what I get when I used your 2 suggested software:

DVD Volume Label: NO_LABEL
    Loading IFOs
    There does not seem to be a DVD in your selected drive
    Done at 17:47:56
    Elapsed time: 00:02:25

With DVDDecryptor, it gives me a "Device not ready" message.

It's just that my laptop hardware is giving absolutely no hope (from the noises, etc). It just totally ignores what's inside. Probably the DVD is encoded differently? Is there anything that I must do with the original DVD recorder, where that DVD came from???

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. try this free data recovery software>

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

it says it can retrieve data from DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't work unfortunately!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try IsoPuzzle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this one, an older version once helped me:
    http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. I had a similar problem with an unfinalised DVD-R created by Pioneer 220 and ISOBuster solved it.
    The computer still wouldn't recognise my dvd as readable, but program itself could. I simply extracted the raw data to harddisk and reauthored it with TMPGEnc DVD Authored - problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My computer only records in DVD-RW and I have several unfinalized Sony DVD-R discs which my Sony DVD Recorder couldn't finalize (none of which were too full of data...less than 2 hours). Since an online program can't help me due to the difference of disc drives, is there any stand-alone hardware that can finalize my unfinalized DVD-Rs???
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is an old thread. Sorry...

But just now it helped me recover home movies from a DVD I burned and couldn't read. It was the only DVD out of about 65 that I had seemingly unsolvable problems with. It looks like I recovered the video complete thanks for ISObuster...3 other apps listed here, I tried to no avail. I'd say try it first.

Very happy!
    ...reset...
    ...wait...
    damn! didn't work...
    (repeat)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the problem above, and solved it this way (with help from this forum, thanks).
    So here's my solution/comments in case it helps anyone else ....

* IsoBuster looks very good and reasonable ~ I didn't buy it because I only had one DVD to process. For anyone who may have this problem regularly, just pay them their $30.

* I did use IsoBuster (free part) to grab an ISO image of the DVD.

* then PhotoRec (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec) to recover the Mpeg file. (I don't think ZAR could have helped at this bit as it wasn't FAT or NTFS). At this point some programs could play the Mpeg, but not most, and they all reported silly timings.

* then MPEG StreamClip (http://www.squared5.com/) to patch up the timecodes on the Mpeg. The result can be viewed and edited by almost all software; though there are still some mpeg flaws around the joins.

This had lost the information about which bit of mpeg was which, just one long file.
    And of course nothing along this pipeline can correct the bits where the DVD surface was genuinely flawed.

Programs that didn't work for me (but they might for you): CD Roller, Stellar CD recovery, Max Recovery, Flobo, DiskInternals CD DVD Recovery, Nero Recover, Power CD DVD recovery, ISOPuzzle, DVD Data Rescue, Vegas, Video ReDo, vcdgear, Virtual Dub.

Good luck to anyone else with this problem, Stephen
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    First, I know it's an OLD thread, but it's also the first one to be found for this problem.... so here it goes.

Problem
    and a solution.

Problem: Panasonic DVD recorder failed to finalize a disc it was recording. It wouldn't even do it after the disc was reinserted.

I tried the usual software on their own (ISO-buster), but most of them saw an empty disc. So after some time surfing the net, i combined different solutions to save the data.

Solution:

1. Use Nero to copy an image file to HDD (as it happens Nero will copy all of the data found on the surface of the disc in this image file, even if other software like ISO buster show a disc to be blank). When this is done, you will see that the image size approximates the amount of data you had on the disc. Now you know you're on the right track.

2. Now open the image you saved in ISO-Buster. Window should pop up saying "No file system and/or files found"
    it will give you an option "Find missing files and folders" an buttons (MAKE IT SO) (HELP) (CANCEL)

After you click on the MAKE IT SO ISO-Buster finds the files (Scaning for lost data)

When the process is finished on the right side files that were found will show up.

Select all the files, right click and chose Extract objects.

Browse for destination and click OK.

Recovered files will be named: Recovered File 1, 2 and so on with a "VOB" extension (also IFO files will be recovered with names: Recovered File 1.VTS_xx_0, Recovered File 3.VTS_xx_0,Recovered File 4.VR_MANGR, in the flowing steps I don't use these IFO files) now you need to change the names of the VOB files to... VTS_01_1 2,3 and so on. (Be careful because ISO-Buster sometimes will recover files out of sequence, so check which file is first, second and so on, otherwise it will be jumbled )

Now we use IFO Edit - Start he program, in the bottom of the window there is a button Create IFOs. Click on it.

In the new window leave the default setting, except the Output stream, here you need to select the first VTS_01_1 file, and below chose the option Same as source, then click OK.

When the process is done in the selected folder files will be created:

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP

4. Next we use FixVTS (this step is just in case). Click on Open, now find the first VTS file. Then click Full DVD. This little program will create a new folder with all the files needed for the DVD to be functional. Basically it's the same files as in the last step, just "reworked".

After that, you can burn the content of the created folder on to a DVD, or rip it for further editing as I did, it's up to You.

It's possible that couple of frames on the connection between VTS files will be damaged, but if the order of VTS files is correct than it shouldn't happen.

Good luck!

PS. I THINK THE STEP NUMBER 4 WAS REDUNDANT, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO RISK HAVING A DVD THAT'S NOT WORKING CORRECTLY, SO I MADE SURE .

IF YOU WANT TRY IT WITHOUT THE LAST STEP AN POST WETHER IT WORKS OK.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...or you could post this as a guide, instead of digging up an old thread from 2006 that may or may not be found in a search.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! for posting all of the different steps here.

My aunt recorded the wedding ceremony for my new bride and I. When she was finalizing the DVD at the ceremony the battery died on the video recorder! She tried finalizing it after the recorder was charged but alas the damage was done.

I had done all the steps with Nero and ISOBuster to try and fix the DVD and/or get all the files off the DVD but the one main VOB was 0.99 GB but would only play the first 19 seconds and stop even though in Windows Movie Maker it would show a snapshot later in the video.

I was actually typing a new thread asking for help here when, as I was describing the problem, it clicked that the VOB file was truly the full ceremony it just wasn't letting me see the whole video. A quick search on Google and I found MPEG_StreamClip and TADA! It saw all the errors in the timecode. I woke my wife up at 2am playing the video on my laptop for her - we both were in tears we were so happy.

Thank you guys for posting all the instructions on here - and yes, Google searches for unfinalized DVD does bring this 2006 thread up.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Problem solved :recover unfinalized dvd disc

Isobuster works
    cdroller does not work
    nero10 does not work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see this thread is recently visited so I hope for a reply. I also have a DVD which was not finalized.
    How come that Todds1 (above) used the Isobuster freeware version and could grab an ISO image of the DVD with this program without having to pay ?
    I have installed the freeware version too. What steps do I have to follow to get this ISO image without having to pay.
    When I select the recovered files and ask to extract objects the program says I have to pay first to get more options.
    I believe this is not the right way ?
    Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    I see this thread is recently visited so I hope for a reply. I also have a DVD which was not finalized.
    How come that Todds1 (above) used the Isobuster freeware version and could grab an ISO image of the DVD with this program without having to pay ?
    I have installed the freeware version too. What steps do I have to follow to get this ISO image without having to pay.
    When I select the recovered files and ask to extract objects the program says I have to pay first to get more options.
    Thanks for the advice.
    This thread may prove helpful: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/310357-Unplayable-DVD-because-it-wasn-t-finalized-properly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    This thread may prove helpful: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/310357-Unplayable-DVD-because-it-wasn-t-finalized-properly
    I followed your advice above and even found another post of yours on this forum that helped me.
    What I did:
    1) Isobuster to make an image file (.tao file)
    2) Vobedit to demultiplex the image file (video/audio seperately).
    3) IfoEdit to put them back together. I got two .vob files (VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob)

On my own initiative I used "Nero 7" to put those two together which worked fine as far as the
    video-part is concerned. Once part two of the movie starts the audio-part is a split second slower/later.
    How do I manage this ?
    I still have my two .vob files (before I went to Nero I copied them and used the copies).
    If needed I can start over again using the two .vob files. Maybe this is the best thing to do. But can you tell me where I should take important steps or choices.

Afterwards I would like to trim the movie. I would like to eliminate two parts (the first 3 minutes and the last 2 minutes).

Many thanks for your help so far, because I'm already very glad to have the recording on my computer now, even when it is in two parts.
    But of course it would be much greater if I could put it flawlessly on a USB stick and play it directly on my new LED-TV.

I look forward to your messages.

Have a nice day ! Hope to hear from you soon.
    Last edited by Antares; 27th Feb 2011 at 16:50. Reason: mistake
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to correct myself in my previous post.
    There is also a problem with the video-part.
    In part two let's say the last 5 minutes of the movie are missing.

So I believe I have to start again anyway with the two .vob files ?

I don't understand why the last 5 minutes were not taken over when exporting to .mpg.
    The pop up window told me the transfer was successfull.

When I play the two .vob files everything is perfect and full length !

Sorry if I make things difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    I followed your advice above and even found another post of yours on this forum that helped me.
    What I did:
    1) Isobuster to make an image file (.tao file)
    2) Vobedit to demultiplex the image file (video/audio seperately).
    3) IfoEdit to put them back together. I got two .vob files (VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob)

On my own initiative I used "Nero 7" to put those two together which worked fine as far as the
    video-part is concerned. Once part two of the movie starts the audio-part is a split second slower/later.
    How do I manage this ?
    I still have my two .vob files (before I went to Nero I copied them and used the copies).
    If needed I can start over again using the two .vob files. Maybe this is the best thing to do. But can you tell me where I should take important steps or choices.

Afterwards I would like to trim the movie. I would like to eliminate two parts (the first 3 minutes and the last 2 minutes).

Many thanks for your help so far, because I'm already very glad to have the recording on my computer now, even when it is in two parts.
    But of course it would be much greater if I could put it flawlessly on a USB stick and play it directly on my new LED-TV.

I look forward to your messages.

Have a nice day ! Hope to hear from you soon.
    You should not have tried authoring/making VOBs if you need to edit. As you found out, joining and editing VOBs often does not work out too well.

Go back to the point of having de-multiplexed audio and video (resulting from VOBEdit). Assuming this is one recording session, which means the same recording settings were used throughout, you can re-multiplex them to an .mpg with Imago MPEG-Muxer, and trim with Mpg2Cut2, MPEG StreamClip, or some other MPEG-2 editor. Afterwards you will have a nice .mpg to put on your USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have to thank you 1 billion times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Using MPEG-muxer and trimming in Nero Vision 4 was succesfull.
    (for Mpg Streamclip I had to fix Quick Time and I did not want to do that).

As I'm writing this post I'm playing my USB-stick on my TV and it works perfectly !
    The video is not full screen but because it's about a quiz-show (in which I feature !)
    it's not that important.
    It is wide enough.
    I used the size 752-576

Now I'm going to try if I can finalize the DVD with a Nero application.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to thank you 1 billion times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Using MPEG-muxer and trimming in Nero Vision 4 was succesfull.
    (for Mpg Streamclip I had to fix Quick Time and I did not want to do that).

As I'm writing this post I'm playing my USB-stick on my TV and it works perfectly !
    The video is not full screen but because it's about a quiz-show (in which I feature !)
    it's not that important.
    It is wide enough.
    I used the size 752-576

Now I'm going to try if I can finalize the DVD with a Nero application.
    I'm glad you got something that plays correctly, but what you said about the resolution is puzzling to me. Use MediaInfo and View>Text, then post the characteristics of your edited file.

The resolution for the original recording should been one of the following:

720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)

Those are the only resolutions the DVD standard permits for PAL video. If you changed the resolution while editing with Nero Vision 4, that was a mistake. You should have kept the original resolution instead. If finalizing your original DVD does not work and destroys the recording instead, you may need to make a DVD from your edited file in the future. However, a stand alone hardware DVD player won't play a DVD unless the video is one of the standard sizes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First I have to tell you something about my TV. The TV features "Media Play".
    It seems of less importance how my resolution is when I use a USB-stick to play anything on my TV.
    I agree that with a DVD this will not be the case.
    I have not yet burnt a DVD with this mpg.file (It was not my intention to do that).
    The DVD that I spoke of, is the original which I was unable to play. I thought I could finalize
    it using Nero (I had not yet tried that - maybe it is not at all possible).

Here we go: so this the info of the mpg file that I put on my USB-stick.

General
    Complete name : E:\Mijn video's\DVDBlokken\Blokken2004.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 623 MiB
    Duration : 23mn 5s
    Overall bit rate : 3 770 Kbps
    Writing library : Created by Nero
    Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@High
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 159 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 4 330 Kbps
    Width : 752 pixels (this I changed - and it stayed that way when I redid it the next day)
    Height : 576 pixels (this I changed - idem)
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9 (this I changed - following the info in my TV manual)
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.199
    Stream size : 357 MiB (57%)
    Writing library : Created by Nero
    Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-160 (0xA0)
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Delay relative to video : -40ms
    Stream size : 254 MiB (41%)

My additional info to you :
    Video Mode : PAL (Here I had to make a choice and I chose PAL)

I hope this is helpfull and you will surely tell me if I have to change anything (redo it) ?
    It would of course be much nicer if I could have my video full screen on my TV (LED 26'').
    Thanks again for all your help !! I appreciate it enormously !!
    Last edited by Antares; 5th Mar 2011 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go back to the .m2v file you had after using VOBEdit on the .tao file from ISOBuster. Use MediaInfo on it and post the results.

If you are going to re-encode as well as edit video, you need to do a bit of studying instead of guessing at what to do. The quality of the original video from the DVD is as good as it is going to get. You gained nothing by re-encoding to a different resolution to put the video on a USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For good measure I will also suggest NeroVision with this.

Load DvD -> Make DvD (either DvD-Video or Editable DvD) ->Import Disc -> choose drive

At this point you should see a list of titles. Choose the ones you want and NV will rescue them to .mpg (losslessly).

Worked perfectly fine with unfinalized DvDs made with DVRs from Pioneer and LG.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For a good understanding, I got two files using Vobedit: VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob.
    I hope these are the files that you mean in your last post.
    Maybe I used Vobedit the wrong way ? What did I have to choose in the dialog box ?
    I think I did Video and Audio separately.

Here are both vob.files :

General
    Complete name : E:\Mijn video's\DVDBlokken\VTS_01_1.VOB
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Duration : 15mn 17s
    Overall bit rate : 9 363 Kbps
    Video
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Bit rate : 8 820 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Standard : PAL
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.851
    Stream size : 962 MiB (94%)
    Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Stream size : 42.0 MiB (4%)
    Menu

General
    Complete name : E:\Mijn video's\DVDBlokken\VTS_01_2.VOB
    File size : 737 MiB
    Duration : 11mn 4s
    Overall bit rate : 9 301 Kbps
    Video
    Stream size : 692 MiB (94%)
    Audio
    Delay relative to video : -552ms
    Stream size : 30.4 MiB (4%)
    Menu

Is this helpfull ?

Answering the post of PuZZler : I used Nero Vision to trim the recording and export it, after having it muxed with MPEG-muxer as Usually Quiet suggested.
    At the moment I am satisfied with the result. (Maybe I'm too easily pleased).
    It's just that the video not full screen that's all.

I think I know what you mean. I should try to recover the recording directly from the unfinalized DVD using NeroVision ? I'm going to try that today ! I'll keep you posted.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For a good understanding, I got two files using Vobedit: VTS_01_1.vob and VTS_01_2.vob.
    I hope these are the files that you mean in your last post.
    Maybe I used Vobedit the wrong way ? What did I have to choose in the dialog box ?
    I think I did Video and Audio separately.

Here are both vob.files :

General
    Complete name : E:\Mijn video's\DVDBlokken\VTS_01_1.VOB
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 9 363 Kbps
    Video
    Stream size : 962 MiB (94%)
    Audio
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Stream size : 42.0 MiB (4%)
    Menu

General
    Complete name : E:\Mijn video's\DVDBlokken\VTS_01_2.VOB
    File size : 737 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 9 301 Kbps
    Video
    Stream size : 692 MiB (94%)
    Audio
    Delay relative to video : -552ms
    Stream size : 30.4 MiB (4%)
    Menu

Is this helpfull ?

Answering the post of PuZZler : I used Nero Vision to trim the recording and export it, after having it muxed with MPEG-muxer as Usually Quiet suggested.
    At the moment I am satisfied with the result. (Maybe I'm too easily pleased).
    It's just that the video not full screen that's all.

I think I know what you mean. I should try to recover the recording directly from the unfinalized DVD using NeroVision ? I'm going to try that today ! I'll keep you posted.
    Yes, it was helpful. ...and I'm sorry to say your suspicion is correct and you are too easily pleased. The original video would have looked better.

Original:
    Resolution 720x576
    Overall bit rate 9363 Kbps
    GOP M3 N12
    DAR 4:3
    Audio: AC3

Re-Encoded Version:
    Resolution 752x576
    Overall bit rate : 3770 Kbps
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2159 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 4330 Kbps
    GOP M=3, N=15
    DAR 16:9
    Audio: PCM

You made several mistakes with the Nero Vision's encoding settings. You lowered the bitrate by half, which means you lowered the overall quality considerably. Increasing the resolution a little made the effect of a lower bitrate even a bit worse, and did not improve the picture.

The GOP size is non-standard for PAL MPEG-2 video (normally it is 12). A GOP size equal to 15 is standard for NTSC MPEG-2 video.

Changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 will not produce a widescreen picture if the original is letterboxed 4:3. If your TV obeyed it, the picture would be streched from side to side, producing a distorted image. If the original video (the file that resulted from using ISOBuster then VOBEdit) was 720x576 anamorphic widescreen (no black bars on the top or bottom, and people look overly skinny when 4:3 is used) then a 16:9 aspect ratio would be the right setting.

If the original video is letterboxed 720x576 full screen (4:3 aspect ratio, with black bars on the top or bottom) just leave it alone. Removing the black bars and re-sizing probably won't look better than using the zoom function on your TV. Removing them requires re-encoding with software that has a crop function. Sometimes one must adjust the color of the picture too. I find that for some reason there is too often much red (really not enough green) after cropping. However, I was converting HDTV recordings to be DVD compliant, so the circumstances were different. I had to re-encode.

Audio was decompressed to PCM, which means it takes up more space, but no quality was gained over the original AC3.

You have not written anything that makes me think that re-encoding your video will serve a useful purpose. If Nero Vision always re-encodes regardless, I recommend that you use Mpg2Cut2 to trim instead of Nero Vision. Mpg2Cut2 does not re-encode, just removes the unwanted bits by cutting on GOP boundaries.

Avoid re-encoding if it is not necessary. Encoding video takes longer than simply editing it on the GOP level, as Mpg2Cut2 does. In addition, at least a little quality is always lost in the encoding process. Plus, novices can easily choose the wrong encoding options.
    Quote Quote