VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I record something the most data that is recorded is 4.25gb. Is there a way to fill an entire disc? I have set the record speed to sp and just let the disc record until it automatically stops, but the disc is still only about 4.25gb. I have noticed that my pioneer 220 would record video at 9446 VBR and the JVC records at 9000 VBR...thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's probably what the manufacturer has determined is a 'safe amount' to keep from using the problematic area near the edge of some DVD discs. You aren't really losing that much. A DVD-5 will hold about 4.37GB. That's about 120MB difference. Some disc makers measure DVD capacity in different ways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most all recorders stop at either 4.00GB or 4.25GB.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I recorded an event in XP which records at 8820 kbps (Constant). The weird thing I noticed is in MPEG video wizard, the file size is listed at 4.57gb. According to the actual file size on my computer, it is suppose to be 4.25gb. Any reason for the discrepancy?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MVW may be re-encoding the audio. Look at the details before you export, it'll be BLUE for stream copy, or RED for re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everything is blue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Something may be getting padded then on the remux. I don't really know. maybe you're just reading different calculations on filesize too. Not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah, I think it just reads it different. When you actually encode the file, you end up with the correct file size. I just never noticed it before.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by colt4523
    I recorded an event in XP which records at 8820 kbps (Constant). The weird thing I noticed is in MPEG video wizard, the file size is listed at 4.57gb. According to the actual file size on my computer, it is suppose to be 4.25gb. Any reason for the discrepancy?
    Sounds like the difference between GB and GiB. 4.57GB ~= 4.25GiB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

Drive capacities are typically reported in GB (1GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes), but computer files sizes are reported in GiB (1GiB = 2^30 Bytes = 1,073,741,824 Bytes). That's why a single-layer blank DVD claims to hold 4.7GB but when you try to copy files from a computer to one it will only hold ~4.38GiB.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you timer record, set the FR 10 minutes less than total time of recording. For example, if you record a 90 minute program, set the FR to 80, etc. Try it on a -RW and see what happens.
    Quote Quote