VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you a model builder?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So have you built any models? I have built a few myself. I haven't built any lately though. All the plastic type - I haven't been brave enough to do any out of wood.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have built three different interations of the Enterprise but have the unfortunate habit of knocking them to the ground and breaking them to pieces. Where's Scotty when you need him?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I build car and RC models only.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5-15 years old, lots of plastic models, first military planes and other vehicles, then mostly cars (hot rods, drag racing...) Later teens R/C airplanes. since then - nothing. Yes, a ARF R/C sail plain, but that doesn't count!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've built more than 50 small scale airplains as a child/teenager. As a grownup, I've done only very few models, notably a few aircraft (F4 new, F4 old) plus some ships (a Tico and Enterprise). All static.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Yes, a ARF R/C sail plain, but that doesn't count!
    Gee a little defensive are we???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have built a collection of over 50 Gundam Models. they are from 5" tall to 14" tall it's a passion of mine and i do it every free second i have.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've built models but not for years now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dated a model once...but it didn't work out.
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The last 2 models I did were both the refit 1701 and E Enterprise that I ordered from Japan last year. Oh how I do miss the special edition A and D Enterprise models I built several years ago with lights and sounds. Took me forever to get them done and I was happy when they were until a dog knocked the 1701-A off my entertainment center and 1701-D broke from moving. All that work down the drain but atleast the latest still have lights with them plus I didn't have to paint them this time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From preteen to midteen I was really into plastic models, first hotrod cars then military vehicles (airplanes, tanks). About a year ago my favorite hobby shop closed due to lack of sales. (I hadn't been in it for decades; it's closing was a story in the San Jose Mercury News). And I can see why, for one thing those kits I paid $7-$12 for in the '70s are now selling to $40-$65; and not to mention, video games: the all time greatest time killer.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I was a kid, Monogram had a 'model of the month' club that my folks signed me up in to 'keep me out of trouble' (their plan was a failure).
    I really loved building models, especially 1/72 scale military air craft.
    Muscle cars were fun too.
    I had all kinds of nifty little specialized tools and brushes and tons of different coloured paints.
    It was fun as hell.
    I got no room or time for that shit now though.
    I'd really like to get back into it, but you need a fair amount of workspace to do a good job and then there's always the issue of having somewhere to put them all when you're done building them...
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Not since I was about 13.
    So what that was 1940?

(Just teasing )
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried building papercrafts?

Here's some examples at how detailed you can get with this type of modeling

Only cost some white glue, a good razor, printer ink, and your time.

Models come in all kinds stuff from sci-fi, airplanes, tanks, etc.

Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I was a kid I watched off and on a freind of mines (SP)
    grandfather build a R/C airplane. It was one of those paper and balsa wood type. The guy was an artist, a perfectionist. Each peice of wood cut with light passes of a razor knife and sanded smooth. Thin wires for the control surface mechanics. I am not sure, but I think he may have even machined and built the gas engine himself. As I remember it, it may have been over a year in the making. This thing was huge! Maybe an eight foot wing span.

So the day of the first flight comes up and as luck would have it my friend and I happen to see grandpa putting the plane in the car and we asked to go along. The old timer assembled the components, fueled it, started it and flew it. It was incredible, it soared to unimaginable heights and performed all of the air plane tricks that even Tom Cruise could never copy in any movie. Loops, rolls, climbs, dives and the "hammer head stall" all done with the percision of an WW Ace.

Soooo... my buddy begs grandpa for a chance at the joystick. 70 MPH straight into the pavement! There wasn't a peice to salvage. I felt sick as we cleand up the few parts and put them into the trash can. His grandfather never said a negative word, but I don't think he ever let my buddy back into his workshop.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My kids love those Lego Star Wars models and Gundam Seed Destiny models from Bandai. Those models burn a big hole in wallet. I occasionally have to jump if my kids got stuck. If that counts....
    Quote Quote