VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a Panasonic DMR-E30 a few years back, and I'm ready for something better. Obviously, I want the ability to record all formats now (DVD-/+R,RW, and +R DL). My other problem with my old one is the dumb looking menus it automatically adds to everything recorded on DVD-Rs. I was actually recording to DVD-RAM and reauthoring with my PC a few times, cause I hate those menus so much. My main problem is this: If I record 1 thing to the DVDR (like dubbing an old tape for backup), I DONT WANT A MENU! NO MENU! NONE! I don't need one, and I don't want one. Just play! Are there any standalone recorders that actually have that option? I was looking at a Sony RDRGX330, but I don't know what its menu options would be like.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Toshiba RD-XS34 can burn no-menu DVD's
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    The Toshiba RD-XS34 can burn no-menu DVD's
    I don't see that one listed at Best Buy or CC. BB lists the RD-XS35, but $399 seems like a little much. I"m not interested in a 160 gig HDD with one. PLus, it doesn't even claim to burn +R DL.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This link might help.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/buyerguides/dvdrecorders/dvdrecorders.htm

Unfortunetely the Panasonic is under "Not Suggested"
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  5. That page says it was last updated in May, 2005. Some brands have had as many as two generations for recorders come to market since then. Also, there are new brands like Polaroid that did not make recorders in May, 2005. Others like JVC announced in early 2006, a DL recorder but unfortunately it has not made it to market.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thats a good point to note.

I noticed it myself,but I trust the information on that website and thought it may help somewhat even if the info is outdated.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD recorder market has not changed all that much in the past 2 years. Panasonic now uses LSI, but they screw up that advantage by using 720x480, which still looks blocky.

Aside from that, JVC, LiteOn, Toshiba and Pioneer tend to still be the best recorders.

It all depends on what you want to do, what you plan to record, what features you need.

I'd say hunt down a Toshiba XS-series machine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. The most significant change in the last two years has been DL.

I want the ability to record all formats now (DVD-/+R,RW, and +R DL)
    That pretty much eliminates JVC, Toshiba, Lite-On, and Pioneer except some Lite-On hdd recorders can record +DL as can the Pioneer hdd DVR-640H but only in +VR mode.

P.S. Panasonics used LSI chips in the ES20 and ES40V but the ES35V which is part of the latest generation is back to a Panasonic encoder again although the new encoder runs hot like LSI parts and requires a good heatsink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but very few are doing DL all that well. It may as well not be done at all. It's easy to ignore. What few people want it should look at LG and then be done with it.

Panasonic tends to botch everything it touchs. It's so sad. Even when they use good components (the LSI Logic chipset), they find a way to **** it up. The people that decided LP mode needs to use 2500k @ 720x480 are idiots. Blind idiots. They should perfect DVD+R DL recording instead, and let SP mode do 4 hours on a DL disc (allowing 5000-5000k VBR @ 720x480), if they want Full D1 4-hour so badly.

There's a reason there is a "fatal flaws" list on sites like this: manufacturers keep screwing up and pissing away the technological advantages afforded by DVD-Video formats.

So sad.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote