VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All,

I have been reading the posts here and on other sites and have gathered a wealth of information, "Thanks to everyone". I have over 300 VHS movies that I want to put on DVDs, so far I have done about 6 since the first of the year. I am learning AviSynth, VDubM and others tools. My problem is that the movie looks very good on the PC but when played back on the TV it is not as good; color washed out and still some noise and I feel that it may be my JVC HR-S6700U. I have done a few movies from the TV with my Hauppauge 350 and they were very good when played on the TV, no filtering just burned to DVD. I have been reading here about the JVC S9800U and wonder if that may help. If the answer might be yes that it would make a difference does anyone know where I can get a good used one or new if possible? I know I may have to add a Proc Amp and a stand alone TBC but the budget will not allow that at this time, maybe later. I would be satisfied if the movie looked as good on the TV as it does on the PC when recording. sorry for such a long post.

Thanks, BDB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by BDB
    Hello All,

I have been reading the posts here and on other sites and have gathered a wealth of information, "Thanks to everyone". I have over 300 VHS movies that I want to put on DVDs, so far I have done about 6 since the first of the year. I am learning AviSynth, VDubM and others tools. My problem is that the movie looks very good on the PC but when played back on the TV it is not as good; color washed out and still some noise and I feel that it may be my JVC HR-S6700U. I have done a few movies from the TV with my Hauppauge 350 and they were very good when played on the TV, no filtering just burned to DVD. I have been reading here about the JVC S9800U and wonder if that may help. If the answer might be yes that it would make a difference does anyone know where I can get a good used one or new if possible? I know I may have to add a Proc Amp and a stand alone TBC but the budget will not allow that at this time, maybe later. I would be satisfied if the movie looked as good on the TV as it does on the PC when recording. sorry for such a long post.

Thanks, BDB
    Here's a good list of for VCRs
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/playback.htm

The only decent one you'll find new is the V10S of that caliber. Other than that, you'll have to go for used on ebay. Make sure that the seller will refund your money if you find any problems. I got a great S7600 for $200 on the rare "buy it now". I saw a 9800 go for $440 on auction the other day, but that's higher than they usually sell for.

There's a S9600 being auctioned now, the seller has 100% positive feedback with a score of 105, but it says "as is" although he also says the heads are in very good condition. I'd personally ask him if he'll refund if any malfunctions are found.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't have any recommendations on VCRs but I was struck by your comment that the digital transfers of your VHS tapes looked better on the computer than on your T.V. In my experience usually it is the reverse, if that is, you have a standard definition CRT (Cathod Ray Tube) television. A computer monitor has more resolution and thus makes low resolution sources like VHS tapes transfers look worse than they would look on a standard definition T.V. set. This is the problem that people experience who upgrade to Hi Definition T.V.s and then their standard definition material actually looks worse to them. So if you have a high definition T.V. set that might be part of your problem. Finally, if the transfers look "washed out," then you may need to check the issue of the IRE levels. (Do a forum search on this topic)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by BDB
    My problem is that the movie looks very good on the PC but when played back on the TV it is not as good; color washed out
    It sounds like you are adjusting the brightness, contrast, and colors to look good on the computer. Computer monitors have very different gamma curves than televisions. Video normally looks dark and dingy on a computer monitor (unless you are using a player that compensates for difference between computer monitors and televisions). If you adjust the video to look good on a computer it will be washed out on a television.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.

Don Jones, I will check into the information you supplied.

David K, When I first started I had a Dell CRT made by Sony and I am now using a ViewSonic VP930b. When I am talking about the comparison it is while using VDubM ion the preview screen; both before and after look better than what is displayed on the TV. I would be very satisfied if they cane out as they are in the preview.

jagabo, I have framed served through AviSynth with filters to TMPGE plus and straight to TMPGE Plus with no filters and the results were pretty much the same. I have taken 10 minute clips from the main AVI file and played with various filters but the results were the same. I have used both AVI and Huffy but I get the same results after the encode. By the way I use the BitRate Calc from this site for encoding, no menus at this time until I can achieve better results. I will keep trying.

BDB
    Quote Quote  
  6. BDB,
    So your T.V. is a 19 inch LCD screen.
    Have you tried running your VCR directly to your LCD screen?
    How do the tapes look then?
    How do they look in comparison to your digital transfers?
    I don't know the size of your computer monitor, but if it is smaller than your LCD, and the Virtual Dub display does not even take up the whole of your computer monitor, then the image is bound to look better because it is smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    David K,

I may have been a little confusing in my last post. My PC monitor is the ViewSonic and my TV is a Sony 65" WV. I will try what you suggested about going directly to my monitor.

Thanks,

BDB
    Quote Quote