VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    "DVD Jon" Unlocks Apple Music Download Protection

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- A hacker known for cracking the copy-protection technology in DVDs claims to have unlocked the playback restrictions of Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod and iTunes music products and plans to license his code to others.

The move by Jon Lech Johansen, also known as "DVD Jon," could pit the 22-year-old against Apple's lawyers, experts say, but if successful could free users from some restrictions Apple and its rivals place on digital music.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/10/24/ipod.code.ap/index.html

Well, the next step would be HD-DVD and Blu-Ray

Go Jon!

2. I have no use to for such technology, as I do not (and would not) own an iPod, and would never buy from iTunes. But I certainly hope this technology will help convince Apple and other companies that DRM is not the answer to their piracy issues, and that legitimate customers will not stand for it.
    Join the fight against Product Activation & DRM!
    www.twistedlincoln.com

Search Comp PM
    Amen to that, TwistedLincoln, amen to that.

The DRM is why I still buy CDs. Mostly second-hand, of course.

Search Comp PM
    If you read the article, it's not about removing DRM, but to copy the iTunes DRM, so it can be applied by other on line music (and video?) stores.
    DeDRM-ing iTunes has been done for ages - jHymn is one example.

/Mats

Search Comp PM
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)