VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have two FLV videos that I want to show the visitor to my website. But the problem is that I want them to be somewhat forced to watch one before the other.

One way that could work if it's possible is to have a link of some kind appear after the video is done playing. Videos on Youtube do this, they have "share" , "watch again" and links to other videos all within the the frame where the previous video played.

So when my first video ends, a link would appear saying "Play the next video" or something like that....

Is this hard to do? I don't know programming...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    Hi, I have two FLV videos that I want to show the visitor to my website. But the problem is that I want them to be somewhat forced to watch one before the other.
    You could use a session cookie that basically acts as a flag. If the first video has been viewed, set the cookie. Only allow the second video to be viewed if the cookie is set.

Depending on your web hosting capabilities, this will either be straightforward (though you may need to do a bit of PHP) or impossible(!)

For Java-based cookie handling, have a look here
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm interesting...I see what you're saying. Question is, how to implement something like that..

How do I tell it to write a cookie when they watch the first video? Then of course I'd have to know how to check that first cookie when they go to play the second video..
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have a look at the link in my earlier reply. It shows the JavaScript code required to:

1. Test to see if session cookies are enabled.
    2. Test to see if persistent cookies are enabled.
    3. Write a session cookie
    4. Write a persistent cookie
    5. Get value of a named cookie
    6. Delete a persistent cookie

Furthermore, the page is interactive so you can test the various functions. Hard to describe - best to have a look.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I did look at it. It looks useful, if I knew how to translate it into what I need...e.g. How do I code "When the first video is played, set this cookie" And then, "when user presses play button for second movie, check to see if cookie was set or not"

That's the stuff I don't know how to do...

I was thinking, perhaps there is another way. If I'm using an SWF player of which I'm able to load an FLV file into. Is there a javascript way of saying to "load next movie into player after first one finishes"?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    I was thinking, perhaps there is another way. If I'm using an SWF player of which I'm able to load an FLV file into. Is there a javascript way of saying to "load next movie into player after first one finishes"?
    If you simply want to play them back-to-back, you should be able to program the Flash object to do that. Flash can be programmed with a language that is quite similar to Java. (How are you creating your FLV files?)

Alternatively, are the two videos always going to be the same? If so, could you just make one?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm creating the FLVs with Sorenson Squeeze...They have a player maker featuere that allows actionscript variables but I've been searching the net high and low trying to figure out if I can use it to create a link or button to play the next video...Here's a screen shot of that feature..

I suppose I could just attach the second video to the first in my NLE before encoding... That would be the easiest solution to having one show before the other...

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    I suppose I could just attach the second video to the first in my NLE before encoding... That would be the easiest solution to having one show before the other...
    Probably the best short-term option...it will let you get on with the stuff you really need to do!
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    good point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really like sorenson squeeze and how it creates the swf files. The only thing I DO NOT like is the player templates that are on that list (screenshot) you posted. They are not nice lol. I wish they created some more to download for free. Something more modern looking and with good taste. I like the ones FlashVideoStudio.com has on their Flash Video Studio 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forgot! Also, if you want them to see both videos but one before the other why don't you just combine both into 1 movie?
    Quote Quote