VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Ive heard about these image things but never ventured into it.
    So the program would create a backup dvd image for you and then you wouldn't have to reinstall the OS or all your programs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using an older version of Ghost which creates the image on a seperate partition which I keep as FAT32, (my other 5 partitions are NTFS), that way I can boot with a standard bootable DOS CD with CD/DVD-Rom drivers with Ghost DOS version on it and restore my system from DVD (or hard disk) partition when needed. It's best to do things in stages, clean "activated" install then image it, load a few programs then image it..etc..etc... then I burn the compressed images to a DVD..usually you would save the image files to another hard disk partition (actually required) or another hard disk as well as burning backups to DVD for ultimate security. There are probably newer things out there that save a lot of the steps I take, I'm just set in my ways. Which ever way you choose to do it you wouldn't have to reinstall Windows again, though you may have to reactivate it when the hardware changes require it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Most imaging software includes images for bootable media to restore backups regardless of file system. No need to keep it FAT32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks, i will look into those.
    seems some of the DVDRWs I burned aren't accessible though. Might it just be that the DVDRWs are old (3 years at least) or the brand isn't the best (memorex), even tho they were new.
    They aren't being recognized by either my Pioneer ROM or NEC Burner. Yet, I brought one of the DVDRWs to another computer and it seems to be able to access the RWs. Might I need a new DVD-ROM?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may need to look into some updated firmware for your dvd drives, try that first before you buy a new one. Check your manufacturers site or one of these. Some drives just choke on some media no matter what you do. Try a sample of some other media if firmware doen't fix the problem.

http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/Firmware/Home.aspx

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, will try that.
    Being that it's been a few years since putting this drive in my system and I don't have any of the manuals or boxes (it might have been OEM anyways), hows the best way to find my model number so I can find the right firmware on the links listed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you had Nero so just use Nero InfoTool it will show you all your optical drives and in the upper right hand corner it will show you the firmware release for the selected drive. If not, there's always "right click" My Computer>Hardware>DVD/CDRom Drives> "right click" the drive>details> far right side will show firmware release like "1.06" or something.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guilty as charged! I didn't read to see if the topic has changed from your original request.

When by NEC1300 was working (it's broken now) I started to have occasional errors either reading or writing which got progressively worse over many months until it quit seeing any discs.

My NEC 1300 had no trouble writing Memorex DVD+RW out of the box but it couldn't bitset. So I updated the firmware with Herrie's Holiday firmware v1.08 which let me set the book type for +R and +RW discs.
    http://www.herrie.org/
    Even after the firmware update the 1300 did not work well with Memorex DVD-RW.

I found that book type setting to dvd-rom (bitsetting) almost guaranteed that all +R and Memorex +RW in particular worked with my standalone Apex DVD and Philips divx/DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's "cool" tundra man
    Quote Quote  
  10. okay, so looks like I have a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-106. Nero infotools shows it as Firmware Version 1.14
    I can't seem to find this model on the 2 sites linked. I tried googlling and found 1.09 firmware, but that wouldn't be up to date as the one I have now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like you have a pretty old dvd drive, but I found a firmware version 1.22, don't know if it will help you but here it is:

http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/106f_122.zip

You may need to upgrade your dvd-rom drive if it doesn't work for you. Apparently this is an unsupported older model. Too bad, I like those old slot models
    Quote Quote  
  12. heh yea, the slot is nice, i was told they last longer than trays, but who knows.
    seems like it may be the media? since the rom seems to be accessing some other brands of media, and also tried backing up some dvds (on studio, one dvdr) and it seems to work.
    Is it still a good idea to update the firmware regardless? I dont want to screw it up either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to make that decision yourself with what makes you feel the safest...I did find this on a pioneer website....look for the 6th generation DVD-106s drive firmware update, I coudn't give you a direct link because it requires you to accept an agreement...

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html

All the drives I use let me go forward and backward with firmwares (Nec 3540-3550, Liteon 167-16P9S and LG GSA-10N's)...I know nothing about your drive so I can't advise you.

Since it appears your optical drives are all on the "fading away" list, perhaps purchasing some new ones would be assuring more compatibility for the present, but not neccessarily the future...blink twice and you are out of date these days.
    Quote Quote  
  14. if other dvdrs are reading fine and the drive seems to work fine except for the RWs that I burned, which aren't being read by my NEC1300 either, then it would seem the problem lies within the media and not the drive, correct?
    Tho it was odd that the same RWs were accessible, albiet very slow, on another computer.
    Perhaps its time to invest in some new RWs. What are good ones these days?
    Quote Quote  
  15. so im trying to use acronis to create that backup image as suggested. first time using this kind of software. so it seems with the wizard it will create a tib backup file. That file is 10gb big tho, and a dvdr is 4.3gb, so how would i be able to save my backups to a dvdr?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using compression when backing up? Thats a huge system backup, but it should be able to span it across multiple dvd's. I use multiple partitions for different things, system partition, ghost backups partition, downloads partition, video rip partition, games partition, video processing partition....my system partition ghost images with compression are anywhere from 700meg to 1.2gb in size, you must be backing up more than just your operating system. I have never used Acronis so I can't help you much but I have heard it is one of the best backup tools.

Quote Quote