VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, I am new to this forum. I find this forum very useful and interesting.

I have a DVD movie called Because Of Win Dixie, a copy of the original, but I don't have the extras and the whole subtitles. The Romanian subtitles on the DVD are not shown correctly. In our language we use diacritics, which are displayed correctly only if the font is set on Central European. the Romanian subtitles on this DVD are wrong... instead of diacritics there are circles and strange characters. The whole subtitle is . illigible

I tried using SubRip to extract the Romanian subtitles, and I did it, but the frames were a total mess... I mean the timing was so bad... Some parts were 3 seconds ahead, other parts were 10 seconds behind..

I searched Romanian subtitle website for the subtitles of this movie and i found some, but no luck... Those subtitles were not good.

Then I saw that when I played the movie in Power DVD, the menu displayed CLOSED CAPTIONING. I clicked on it, and TADAAAAAAAAAAA: new English subtitles appeared! And I thought that there can be some way to extract that Closed Captioning, and use its frames for the Romanian one..

I saw here that someone recomended VobSUb and even steps to rip the closed captioning were given, but believe me, I could not find anything...
    So can u please help me?

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i belive closed captions are not on dvd, tv is doing it
    so you can not rip it
    buy NTSC TV with closed captions or multisystem TV PAL(europe)/NTSC(usa) that can handle closed captions and you can watch CC again
    if you live outside usa buy multisystem DVD player also to be sure for TV and dvdplayer compatibility
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deejay.2001
    i belive closed captions are not on dvd, tv is doing it
    so you can not rip it
    buy NTSC TV with closed captions or multisystem TV PAL(europe)/NTSC(usa) that can handle closed captions and you can watch CC again
    if you live outside usa buy multisystem DVD player also to be sure for TV and dvdplayer compatibility
    Hey, I played the DVD onto my computer using PowerDVD. I have not a DVD Player and I did not watched the movie on TV. I saw the CLOSED CAPTIONING while I was playing the DVD in my computer's DVD ROM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick.
    That was the post.

There HANYJ gives us his steps to ripp the closed captions using SubRip. I quote "Launch the VobSub Ripper Wizard..." but I could not find any wizard. I downloaded the VobSb program using the links from this forum, and I even check Program Files where VobSub was installed. I attached a picture with what i found in Program Files....

Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's VSRip....it can convert closed caption to a text file.

VSRip - "Also outputs closed caption as .srt when found."
    Quote Quote  
  6. It would be nice if it could put the CCs back on a dvd.

Those programs can cost thousands.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    It would be nice if it could put the CCs back on a dvd.

Those programs can cost thousands.
    Supposedly you can cheaply with http://www.geocities.com/mcpoodle43/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML#cc_mux.

I am able to see CC on burned DVDs from ReplayTV mpegs after using a ReplayTV specific tool. I theorize any DVD with CC will have them embedded into the vob. Therefore, they should be able to be seen when put back on the DVD as long as the overhead of the original isn't changed. If it is then it will most likely be lost. I don't know if DVDshrink, etc, retain the CC. However a vob can always be turned into an mpeg then muxed with CCmux then burned after using IFOedit.
    "EL EXTRANJERO ME SIENTO"
    ENRIQUE BUNBURY
    Quote Quote  
  8. I also found instructions on this site. You can use Subtitle Workshop to create subs & another program to put those on a dvd as CCs.

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=314307&highlight=closed+captions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ouch, DVD lab Pro 2 is $245
    "EL EXTRANJERO ME SIENTO"
    ENRIQUE BUNBURY
    Quote Quote  
  10. jandor2009
    Search Comp PM
    View my tutorial - Portuguese-BR: http://exchange.drawloop.com/published/view/15260
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD shrink does keep the close captions and I second the recommendation of VSrip to extract the Closed captions from the dvd. Adobe enore also supports closed captions.
    Also take a look at this http://www.theneitherworld.com/mcpoodle/SCC_TOOLS/DOCS/SCC_TOOLS.HTML#cc_mux
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody else notice that until today this thread was inactive since 2006?
    Quote Quote  
  13. One thing I noticed about using VSRip to get closed captions, it is better to first copy the DVD to the hard drive (with something like DVDFab) and then use VSRip on that, otherwise I got a Can't Get Key error.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Anybody else notice that until today this thread was inactive since 2006?
    Yeah, the geocities link was a bit of a giveaway.
    (I wonder if the page made it to the archives?)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  15. jandor2009
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    One thing I noticed about using VSRip to get closed captions, it is better to first copy the DVD to the hard drive (with something like DVDFab) and then use VSRip on that, otherwise I got a Can't Get Key error.

VSRip (gives many errors)

00:08:31,093 --> 00:08:32,094
    get out here,
    and you'd brief me

00:08:32,094 --> 00:08:33,429
    me?
    Now, what
    is it this ti

CCExtractor (all right)

00:08:30,626 --> 00:08:31,993
    get out here, and
    you'd brief me.

00:08:32,060 --> 00:08:33,494
    Now, what is
    it this time?
    Quote Quote  
  16. These days you can get SRT subs from subscene or opensubtitles too.
    Quote Quote