VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RE:www.dvdrhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=73863&forum=6
    Baldrick dude, you really ought to rip this guy a new *******, this is just blatant plagiarism!
    www.toplinenorthwest.com/movie_products.htm
    I think this is the sites host:www.qwest.net

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: d4n13l on 2002-01-12 14:54:25 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have emailed them but no answer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would support you if you decided to just abruptly pull the plug on your own site for a week or so. That'd **** up his day. At least he'd be motivated to move some links over to his own server.

Well, I suppose you could just re-arrange your web site so that his links don't work anymore.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  4. Baldrick did you notice they are even linking people to YOUR e-mail...
    at the bottom of the TMPGEnv Templates section
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>If You have a good TMPGEnc Template You wanna share then email me it and I publish it here.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    the e-mail link is to send YOU an e-mail not them.
    peace out,
    dumwaldo

AWW MA! you know i'm not like other guys. i get nervous and my socks are to loose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. yes Baldrcik you can use some codes like if your downloades where not being downloaded offf your site a block page can come up saying something like this please download from my site....you can ask d4n13l he might know of a code...but i there is such a code becuase Angelfire uses the same idea
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should think that Baldrick will know the code to do that, but I dont think it would be wise considering it potentially brings in money to this site: Each person that visits this site is a potential revenue earner for this site - If they click on an advert here, that is good for this site. It is a source of income for the site.
    The problem is, the linking site has stolen some of this site's HTML and the person has also taken a few other liberties. If the person just linked to vcdhelp.com that would be great; that is how the interent works after all. However, plagiarism is not acceptable and must be stopped - He should write his own code and create his own layout scheme, not just copy and paste all Baldrick's hard work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Man thats crap! Scammers should be shot!

Ask your web hoster to add this (or something like it) to their configuration directives for your directories... That will keep them from scamming your work. (assuming they run Apache)

<Directory "your/home/directory">
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Deny from 204.147.80.67
    </Directory>
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is way too funny.

Come on kiddies grow the f... up. I'll wager 90% of the people here are ripping off commerical music videos, stealing music tracks by the hundreds and making ILLEGAL copies of movies using their VCR and they learn how from right here!

And you're worried about some bozo and his plagiarism of some second rate HTML? That takes the cake. Find a dictionary and look up the word hypocrite.

Please keep any flames at low volume. I have a headache.

LOL! Like like give a s...

This is just a reality check.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: speedy on 2002-01-14 21:20:31 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just to play with you guys a little it would be a safe bet most of if not all the graphics used in the how-to section of this website are in violation of copywrite laws.

Why?

Because the screen shots are taken from software and you/me/us only have a license to use the software as defined within the particular license agreement. The point is no license agreement give away the right to swipe screen shots and plasture them all over your web site.

I know... a common practice and few software companies will bother trying to get anyone to stop as long as it is done for illustrative purposes only. The point is technically it is illegal to do it without written permission.

While it may not be very nice to link to someone else's pages or use their graphics without permission the fact that the art work in question isn't really original to this site either except for a couple added circles or numbered steps legally there isn't a thing you can do. In fact this very topic used to cause long debates in CIWAH. The best advice is ignore it. It may actual help more people find this site.

Quote Quote  
  10. Maybe a totally irrelevant point but I've seen the FAQ page on this site several times before... the bits on smilies etc, bb code and html... so who is actually copying who??
    Quote Quote  
  11. Um... it is kind of irrelevant because that is the general FAQ that comes with the free phpBB forums.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i really dont care that much if some copy some guides or anything but when they steal my bandwitdh also...they could at least copy the images to their server and add some credits.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You may want to consider embedding 'VCDHelp.com' as watermarks in the images so anyone visiting the other site knows where he got them from.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe, speedy has a point... But the guy is still in the wrong anyway.
    Hey speedy, just to play with you a bit - mind if I copy all your published work and sell it as my own? LOL
    Just kidding .
    At least he should give *some* credit, like Baldrick said.
    I argue for the good of this site, rather than ethically.

BTW, when I re-did the images for this site I asked baldrick if he wanted an embedded logo, he said not to bother...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here's the guy's info, call, mail, email him, whatever:

Topline Northwest
    PO Box 98633
    Des Moines, WA. 98198
    Phone: 206.878.7277 Fax: 206.878.9408

E-mail: info@toplinenorthwest.com

Quote Quote  
  16. LOL! If you republished my stuff you would be about the 12,000th person to do so, which was the point of my offer. I gave away republishing rights and sold to dealers, who sold to other dealers and so on and so on and so on. I stopped selling it directly myself years ago. I see people are still selling it though. Remember this was just one of my "retirement" projects. I was rather amused with the success. I got orders from just about every major country and a few I never heard of. Got me interested in stamp collecting.

The "theft" of other people's markup and artwork is very common. So is linking to other people's sites. In fact when I was bugging the boys in CIWAH several cases were making it through the courts where some site linked to pages from major sites without permission using frames which can muddy the idenity of who's site it really is. I think it was TIME or ESPN or some such site that was making a federal case out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At least your name still gets printed with your work.
    I mean, I bet you would be pretty pissed to see my name where yours should be. Especially if you didnt give away the publishing rights in the first place!
    LOL
    Quote Quote