VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi there people.

Someone knows if there is a DVD recorder that can play/record PAL->PAL, NTSC->NTSC and SECAM->SECAM?

Or at least PAL->PAL and NTSC->NTSC.
    I don't know if SECAM DVDs does exists...

Thanks
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, there are no SECAM DVDs. The potential market is so limited that no electronics manufacturer -- not even the French -- wanted to invest in it.

Besides, as it turned out, it's actually not necessary to do DVDs in SECAM, since conversion from PAL to SECAM is fairly trivial, at least compared to NTSC<->PAL. Both PAL and SECAM (at least, in their "standard" forms) use 625 scan lines @ 50 fields/sec, with a horizontal frequency of 15.625 kHz and a vertical frequency of 50Hz, so the only major difference to overcome is the way the color information is encoded within the signal -- and that encoding is done by the DVD player's electronics, anyway, as part of the conversion from digital MPEG data to an analog TV signal. So DVD players sold in France or other SECAM-using countries just take PAL DVDs and encode the color signal as SECAM.

If you go here, you will find quite a few multistandard DVD recorders from Pioneer and Panasonic, all the way from basic models up to high-end units equipped with internal hard drives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply.

My problem now is that I can see an NTSC VHS correctly with my VCR on the TV, but when I try to record it from my TV through a SCART cable, on DVD, my DVD recorder put 4cm of lines on the under part of the video.
    Seems like it's recording a NTSC signal on PAL DVD, what do you think?

And about SECAM, if I will buy a VCR that can play SECAM VHS, I can connect it through SCART into my DVD recorder and it will recognize the true colors or B&W?

Thanks for all your help
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since we don't know what model of DVD recorder you're currently using, it's hard to give a definitive answer to either of those questions.

However -- in general, if the DVD recorder you're using is not specifically made to support multiple TV standards, you're going to get strange results if you feed it a video signal in a format other than the one it's intended for -- if it will even record the signal at all. I'm actually rather surprised that your PAL DVD recorder will accept and record an NTSC signal, really...

If you want to be certain that you can correctly record any TV standard, you're pretty much going to have to invest in one of those multi-standard DVD recorders. If you want to be sure that the recorded discs can then be played on anyone else's DVD players, you might also need to invest in an external format-converter box so that your DVD recorder always "sees" and records a PAL-format disc regardless of the input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using a Panasonic DMR-EH80V and a VCR JVC HR-XVS30.

I'm not interested in recording TV channels, just convert my PAL/NTSC/SECAM VHS on DVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I tried looking up some info on the DMR-EH80V, and while it claims to be able to accept NTSC, PAL, or SECAM, I don't see anything which says that it can convert one to the other. In other words, based on what I can find so far, it looks as if the unit only makes NTSC discs (i.e. 720x480 @ 29.97fps) from NTSC signals and PAL discs (720x576 @ 25fps) from PAL/SECAM signals.

The information I can find on the HR-XVS30 seems to indicate that it's a PAL-only unit, as far as the VHS-deck side goes...?

I think, realistically, if you want to be able to take any kind of VHS tape, regardless of format, and make a "true" PAL-type DVD out of it, you're either going to have to digitize the NTSC tapes on your PC as NTSC (i.e. using the normal NTSC MPEG settings of 720x480 @ 29.97fps) and then reencode them, or you're going to have to invest in some kind of external format-conversion box that goes in between the playback and record units to do a proper scan-line and frame-rate interpolation/conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for spending your time looking for infos to help me man.

I checked, the VHS it's probably NTSC, and my JVC can play it fine on my TV (weird if you say that it can't play NTSC).
    The DVD that the Panasonic record is in PAL format, and I've these 4cm of lines on the under part of the screen.
    Does this Panasonic play correctly NTSC VHS? I doubt that!
    That problem it's maybe NTSC converted to PAL DVD format?
    I really can't understand why on my TV I can see correctly the VHS...

About this sentence you said:
    you're either going to have to digitize the NTSC tapes on your PC as NTSC

What you mean sorry? to change my recording from NTSC to PAL through a program on my PC, after I loaded the recorded DVD made with the Panasonic?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most PAL vhs decks will play NTSC vhs. The output is not NTSC, but what some call PAL 60. Which is a PAL signal at 60hz instead of the standard 50htz. Your dvd recorder may not be able to record this correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here are screenshots of what I can see when playing/recording the VHS with the Panasonic.
    This problem it's the same on TV or on the computer.

Like I said, I don't have this problem when playing the VHS directly from my JVC VCR to the TV.

http://www.sepu.ch/TEMP/PDVD_084.JPG
    http://www.sepu.ch/TEMP/PDVD_085.JPG
    http://www.sepu.ch/TEMP/PDVD_086.JPG

The infos of the mpg I made from the DVD through Tmpgenc DVD Author, when I play it in Winamp are following:
    704x576 (9548kbps) (0:-29:-6) -9986kbps 23.99fps

What do you guyz think?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a quick update, I noticed that the VHS is NTSC because the tape is "T" and not "E", so probably sold in USA.
    Maybe the problem that can be view on the pics is the difference between NTSC 480 lines to PAL DVD 576 lines?
    Quote Quote