VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just downloaded ffmpegx, and the three binaries. everything installed no problem.

I followed the directions at ffmpegx website carefully.

I dragged a .mov file into source format (h264, 1440 x 960, no audio)

I made sure there were no spaces in my source disk name.

I turned off preview in quicktime.

I made sure that author as DVD (VIDEO_TS) was turned on.

For target format, I choose ffmpeg mpeg2, (720 x 480, 4000kbps, 23.976).

After encoding, all I end up with a .mpv file!

this file plays perfectly in VLC.

HOWEVER, I get no magnifying glass after the encoding is finished, to find all the files produced. When I use the spotlight to search for MOVIE.DVD, VIDEO_TS, or AUDIO_TS, absolutely nothing is found.

I am trying to get something to burn onto DVD with Toast 6, and I thought I need the MOVIE.DVD folder.

what am I doing wrong?

I did a forum search, and even went so far as to remove all ffmpegx files from my harddrive and reinstalled. Nothing changed.

here is the process information from the encoding process:

Encoding started on Tue Oct 10 11:13:34 MDT 2006
    movtoy4m
    Copyright 2002-2006 Johan Lindstr??m
    All rights reserved..
    Input #0, yuv4mpegpipe, from 'pipe:':
    Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 720x480, 23.98 fps
    Output #0, rawvideo, to '/Users/xxxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/northshoredvd.mpv':
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x480, 23.98 fps, q=2-20, 4000 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    bench: utime=435.636s
    video:193008kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000000%
    FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/xxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/movies and slides/north shore ranch.mov':
    Duration: 00:07:00.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 55392 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng), 24.00 fps(r): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1440x960
    No audio or video streams available

Thank you ahead of time for any help anyone can give me.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems ffmpegX's DVD encoder needs an audio stream (unlike Toast 7's encoder).
    Maybe you could add a silent audio track to your .mov?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try that, case.

Thanks.

update to follow.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, here is where I am at.

First off, case, thank you for the excellent call on the audio track! I am definitely getting closer!

So, I imported an mp3 file into my movie in quicktime. When I dropped that movie into ffmpegx, though, it said that the audio track was an mp2 (but if i get info for the movie file, it says that it is mp3).

The first thing I tried was to mute the audio track in Quicktime before saving as a .mov. I then encoded in ffmpegx as a mpeg2ffmpeg with the audio codec set to .AC3. Encoding worked great, and for the first time, I actually got the .DVD file with the VIDEO_TS folder inside.

I then burned to dvd with toast 6, as a data file (DVD-ROM(UHF)). Well, the movie plays on my tv, and looks pretty good, but I am getting a horrible squelching squeal for the first 30 sec of the movie, and then silence. b ummer.

I then tried to encode with the audio codec set to mp2, and the encode would say it was finished, but no .DVD file! This is getting a tad annoying, now.

So, I go back into quicktime, and unmute the audio track and resave. I then repeat the entire process with the audio codec set to .ac3 in ffmpegx. encoding is successful, and with the .DVD file, too. back to toast, and the same thing happens! Horrible squealing and then silence.

Then I try encoding with the audio codec on mp2, and encoding fails.

I then tried all of these permutations with another movie, this time a slideshow composed of jpegs, and exported form quicktime as a .mov file, and compressed with the h264 codec, just to see what happens. same horrible squealing, or the same failure to encode, and one failure to encode due to a buffer underrun during muxing (I think that is the right term) process. This software is driving me batty, and the worst part is that this software looks on paper to both fantastic and exactly what I need.

I then tried to burn the movie straight out of toast as a video, and everything works perfectly, except that the video quality is garbage, nowhere near as nice as the ffmpegx output.

So, it's been a long aggravating day with nothing to show for it!! What on earth am I doing wrong here?

FWIW: 2.0GHZ macbook pro, with 100GIG harddrive and 2GIG of ram, and the 0.0.9 version of ffmpegx.

Sorry to be so long winded, and THANK YOU in advance.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kannonbal
    Duration: 00:07:00.0
    Using Amadeus II's Effect>Generate Silence, I composed a 7 minutes audio file of silence. Using the lowest bitrate setting (m4a, AAC, 16 kbps), I can keep the filesize down: 52 KB.
    In QuickTime Player, use Add to Movie to add the silent audio to your video. Save as a self-contained movie. Convert to DVD with ffmpegX, again using a very low audio bitrate.
    This produced a good DVD folder on my end.
    Quote Quote