VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have installed LimitedSharpenFaster and it works. I checked it in VirtualDub and in Procoder but it looks like it does not increase sharpness.

I tried to sharpen an avi movie. First I set the strength to 200. Since nothing has changed if compared to the original, I chnaged the strength to 600. Nothing changed again.

Than I set the strength for 1000 just to see the changes more clearly if there are any but I could not see any difference between the original and the encoded copy.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Script time again. Let's assume, for the moment, that LSF is now correct. Can you post the script that loads the video and calls LSF ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

You are right. The damn thing just tortures me...

Here it is:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MaskTools.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MT_MaskTools.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveGrain.dll")
    DirectShowSource("F:\Documents\Temp\PanicRoom-Test.avi")
    Dull=Last
    Sharp=Dull.LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.50,ss_y=1.5 0,Smode=4,strength=1000,soft=30)
    Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DirectShowSource("F:\Documents\Temp\PanicRoom-Test.avi")
    Dull=Last
    Sharp=LimitedSharpenFaster(Dull,ss_x=1.50,ss_y=1.5 0,Smode=4,strength=1000,soft=30)
    Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)
    Try this small change
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

It will take some to encode a clip.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I encoded the same clip again and again I do not see any difference between the original and the encoded copy. I checked two times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't have to encode to see the difference. You can use this script

Orig_Clip=AviSource("original.avs",false)
    Rest_Clip=AviSource("restoration.avs",false)

# Crop clips for comparison. Clips are cropped to create
    # a single complete frame

Orig_Clip_Crop=Crop(Orig_Clip,0,0,360,0)
    Rest_Clip_Crop=Crop(Rest_Clip,360,0,0,0)

# Stack the two halves together to finish up

StackHorizontal(Orig_Clip_Crop,Rest_Clip_Crop)
    To view the before and after clips side by side. There are couple of restrictions though.

1. Both clips need to be the same resolution
    2. Both clips need to be in the same colourspace
    3. This script is sized for 720 x nnn resolution. If yours differs you will have to alter the Crop statements accordingly

You can just load this script into virtualdub to see a split screen veiw of the original and the changed version, without encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger,

As far as I understand I should insert the path to the original file
    in Orig_Clip=AviSource("original.avs",false)

Should change anything (replace restoration.avs) in
    Rest_Clip=AviSource("restoration.avs",false)

The clip is without sound. So, the "false" should be removed, right?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If there is no sound then the false won't do anything. I leave it there because I tend to clone scripts and build on what I have.

I also load clips into this via their own scripts so that any resolution or colourspace issues can be addressed outside this script. I want this script to be as generic and trouble free as possible.

So a short script that loads your original clip and converts colourspace as needed is called in place of original.avs, and your script that calls LSF gets called in place of restoration.avs
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger,

I am really sorry but I have no idea about:

"a short script that loads your original clip and converts colourspace as needed is called in place of original.avs, and your script that calls LSF gets called in place of restoration.avs"

Do you mean than I am supposed to have two other scripts to be able to use the one you recommended?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I understood you right, after loading the script in VirtualDub I can see the difference between the original and copy in two VirtualDub windows: left is original while the right one shows the result of the sharpening.

Meanwhile I tried to use the script with the builtin Avisynth sharpener and set the strength for 6 which is pretty strong.

When I opened the clip in VirtualDub, I again did not see any difference between the left and right windows.

Could it be that the issue is the file?

No, there is a difference! I looked close and there is difference with the builtin Avisynth sharpener. The picture in the right window is sharper.

It has become visibly sharper but sone artifacts also came up. I believe this is the weakness of the builtin sharpener, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. The before and after windows in virtualdub only show you the effect of virtualdub filters. Any difference you are seeing is in your mind.

What my script does is split the view in half down a centre line, and puts the left half of the before image and the right half of the after image together into a single screen. So you should see a half and half image in the first virtualdub window.

You need three scripts to use this

1. Script one is the split screen script as provided above
    2. Script Two is your LSF script
    3. Script Three is as basic as is necessary. In my case it is usually

AVIsource ("clip.avi",false)
    ConvertToYUV2()
    Where clip.avi is the original clip that I am working on. You may need to use DirectShowSource in this case.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by vertical
    If I understood you right, after loading the script in VirtualDub I can see the difference between the original and copy in two VirtualDub windows: left is original while the right one shows the result of the sharpening.
    No, no, that's wrong. You can see the difference in both VDub windows only if you are applying some VDub filters. As you are filtering outside VDub, before loading the clip there would be no difference in these windows at all.
    If you want to see the sharpening in VDub more closely simply launch two instances of VDub - in one load the original avi, in the other the avs script.
    Edit: Erhm, too late.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guns1inger,

But I did see the difference. After that I encoded the clip in Procoder and I clearly see the diffence between the original and the encoded copy. I did not apply any VirtualDub filters for the simple reason that I do not know how to do this but may be accidentally?

I do feel that your post has been written in very simple wrods so that even a super duper dumb neiwbie would understand what to do. Thank you. I appreciate that.

I should change the original name in "Orig_Clip=AviSource("original.avs",false)", right?

And I should not change anything in the second line: restoration.avs, right?

But where should I put three (not one) scripts?

guns1inger, the scripts is a pin in my but. I feel embarrased with the stuff and though I really appreciate your time, I would rather prefer to fix the script that manono have provided me with.

No offence! It is not because the first one is better and the second is worse. It is just for the simple reason that the first one has become more or less familiar to me but to start from scratch.... I would rather just use the Avisynth builtin sharpener and that's it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want you to change your original script either, except to make it work.

These other scripts are in addition to your script, so you can compare your changes to your original quickly an easily. All three scripts - the simple script to load the origina lavi, the split screen script, and you LSF script should all go in the same folder. I usually keep mine with the original video clips as well. Makes it simple because you don't need to worry about paths.

As for virtualdub - sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. When you load an avs into virtualdub, you will see the same image in both windows. Only if you apply a virtualub filter will you see a difference between the input and output windows.

As an example of how I work, the current restoration I am doing involves a lot of noise removal. I have a folder on HDD2 which has the captured clip, the split screen script, the script to load the original, and about 8 (at last count) different scripts for altering the clip. They all happily live together. As a try different variation and combinations, I create new scripts, and alter the split screen script as I go to load the latest restoration clip.

When I have found something that looks promising, I might test render a few minutes across to a folder on HDD3. Eventually, a full render will be done (in this case around 70GB worth), and from there an mpeg encoding will be done for authoring.

Once you have the script to load the original avi, and the splitscreen script working, they don't need to change. Just alter the LSF script until it is a) working, and b) sharpening just the amount you need.

At the moment you cannot say for certain if the LSF script is actually doing anything.

Is how the output from the split screen script should look
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much!

I will try to implement it and will post the result but not right now.

It is 12:56a.m. here and I have to get up before 6 a.m.

Thank you and have a good night.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fair call
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I tried to create the two new scripts but some things are not clear.

- What extension should the new two scripts have - .txt or .avs?

- I should insert the name of the original in "Orig_Clip=AviSource("original.avs",false)" - this is clear.

- But should I change anything in the second line: restoration.avs? I mean, should I replace the word restoration with something?

Do I undedrstand right that once I start using LSF script the two others will be involved automatically?

gunsinger, I would say I envy you. How do you find time to do such a job? Though I cannot get it on track, I actually like it. I would be happy to be able to devote more time to it but... It is addictive to me and already messes with my job.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All avisynth scripts mus have the extension .avs

The scripts can be called anything you like. Just change the references in the split screen script accordingly. Change restoration.avs to whatever your script is called.

Once you have the three scripts working, the only script you need to change is the script that calls LSF, as this is the script that does all the work, and the one you will ultimately use encode from. The others are just there to help you judge the effect of the main script.

As to how I find time - I don't sleep, I read a lot of posts here, especially in the Restoration forum, and I play whenever I can. I do this in part for profit, and in part because I also enjoy the challenge a lot. It took me quite some time before I ventured into avisynth, and even now there is a lot of I have not touched. I also look back at some of the first clean ups I did and think about all the new things I would like to try on them. It never ends, and no project is ever completely finished.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "It never ends, and no project is ever completely finished." - I cannot but agree.

Since I started trying to change something instead of just straight work, it really never ends. It is the second week (may be more) that I am trying to convert a single avi into DVD in "the right way".

There is no profit for me. I am just losing money as I steal the time from my business to do the stuff. But you are right - it is a challenge.

As for the sleep, I also save some time on that but it cannot last for ever or the consequences might be desastrous.

I just noticed that the files' names have extensions avs (Orig_Clip=AviSource("PanicRoom-Big.avs",false) ) Is it correct?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks OK.

The ones for profit are the easy ones to put a deadline on. It is the ones for yourself, or friends and family that tend to take forever.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know what you mean. It's true. To buy a container of goods takes half an hour. To choose something for my family, it might take three days or more.

You probably did not notice my question at the very bottom of the post:

I noticed that the files' names have extensions avs (Orig_Clip=AviSource("PanicRoom-Big.avs",false) ) Is it correct?

I've just reread your post: All avisynth scripts mus have the extension .avs
    So, it must be correct.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes, that's correct.

Since you seem to be having trouble with this new concept, and no luck at all so far at getting it to work, I might ditto Abond's earlier suggestion and suggest making 2 scripts, one with LSF and one without. Open each in VDubMod at the same time (2 instances of VDubMod open at the same time), scroll to the same frame numbers in each, and compare them that way.

That's how I made my earlier comparison pic:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1586953&highlight=doctors#1586953

Can you see the small one yet? If not, scroll down a couple of posts to the link.

You really don't want to spend as much time getting a comparison script going as you did getting LSF going.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I created and put al three scripts in to the folder with the avi.

When I open it in VirtualDub, it works but there is no screen split and no sharpening.

Could you pleas have a look at the scripts:

The first two lines are confusing.

Orig_Clip=AviSource("PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avs",false)
    Rest_Clip=AviSource("PanicRoom-Full-NoSound1.avs",false)

Orig_Clip_Crop=Crop(Orig_Clip,0,0,360,0)

and the short one is:
    AVIsource ("PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avs",false)
    ConvertToYUV2()

LSF:

DirectShowSource("D:\WORK-LONG\PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avi")
    Dull=Last
    Sharp=LimitedSharpenFaster(Dull,ss_x=1.50,ss_y=1.5 0,Smode=4,strength=1000,soft=30)
    Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You named the "short one" PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avs, and the "long one" PanicRoom-Full-NoSound1.avs?

Although the effects are more subtle than with LimitedSharpenFaster(1000) alone, without soothe or soft, the effects should be noticeable.

Maybe just have LimitedSharpen(Strength=1000) inside of the long one, like so:

#Dull=Last
    #Sharp=LimitedSharpenFaster(Dull,ss_x=1.50,ss_y=1. 50,Smode=4,strength=1000,soft=30)
    #Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)
    LimitedSharpenFaster(Strength=1000)

The differences should be more obvious.

And if you want an obvious split screen, in the 3rd script, the one that actually compares, create a black line between the 2 scripts:

Orig_Clip_Crop=Crop(Orig_Clip,0,0,360,0).AddBorder s(0,0,8,0)

Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, manono,

Not sure I understood you right.

The two lines

are taken from one (long) script. As for the names, I understoo guns1inger that it does not matter.

"And if you want an obvious split screen, in the 3rd script, the one that actually compares, create a black line between the 2 scripts:" - Do you mean between the lines of text or between the scripts? Sorry, just not sure.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Note the change Manono added to the split screen script - specificallt the AddBorders statement. This puts an 8 pixel wide dividing line between the two halves so you can clearly see where the effect should start.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I have right now.

I have three sripts in the folder with the avi "PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avi".

The scripts are:

- RestotorationScript.avs
    - RestotorationScript1.avs
    - Sharpen.AVI.avs

I put manono's script (above) into RestotorationScript.avs (long) and I open video in VirtualDub with Sharpen.AVI.avs.

Everything works but no screen splitting or sharpening.

Should I open Sharpen.AVI.avs in VirtualDub through "Open Video" or through "Run Script"? The first one works with result descibed above. The second gives error message.

It looks like I am doing something wrong. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm sorry, but I'm hopelessly confused about your scripts and what's in each. If I've helped add to the confusion, I apologize. Open the one with no sharpening in VDubMod. Open the one with sharpening in another VDubMod. Scroll to the same frame in each. Compare.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono,

Here are the scripts if this could help.

RestotorationScript.avs:

Rest_Clip=AviSource("PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avs",false)

Orig_Clip_Crop=Crop(Orig_Clip,0,0,360,0).AddBorder s(0,0,8,0)

RestotorationScrip1t.avs:

AVIsource ("PanicRoom-Full-NoSound.avs",false)
    ConvertToYUV2()

Sharpen.AVI.avs:

Dull=Last
    Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)

Thank you.
    Quote Quote