VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know this subject is not new, but many models discussed previously are not available in the store anymore. I want to buy from a store, so I can return it if bad, get as long an extended warrantee as possible, and hopefully get it on sale. Please understand in 2002 I bought a Philips DVDR985 for about $1000 with extended war, even the repair company could not get it to work. I recorded about 50 DVDRs before it died, so I want to make the best decision possible (I assume with the current models that a "great" decision is not possible). My main requirement is VHS conversion to DVD. I would also like to keep it cheaper, so unless its really necessary, a non-Harddrive unit would be best.

I have the following stores near, and these stores are widely available so many people would be interested in your suggestions.

Stores --> Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Fry's, Sears, or any other local stores.

If anyone has had a repair under an extended warrantee from a store, please include info as to how easy it was.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Wanna buy my DVDR985....mine is still going strong...
    When my 985 finally dies....I would probably buy a Pioneer or JVC....maybe an LG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to know the answer to this one too. My sister-in-law has asked me to recommend a good recorder at a local store and I am having trouble finding a recorder I can recommend.

I have a Pioneer DVR-220 that I bought from Walmart a year and a half ago. I bought it as a backup recorder but it has performed flawlessly. It has taken every type disc I have tried in it without complaint and it has never missed or failed to record, even for extended periods. Unfortunately, Walmart no longer carries this recorder.

Anything anyone care to recommend?

mgy999a
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been looking over the Panasonic DVD recorders at CircuitCity and will probably buy the DMR-ES25S or the DMR-ES35VS. Both I think are pretty nice for the $$.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 2 I was thinking about that have the LSI chips, are the LG DR1F9H or the Panasonic DMR-ES25S. The other possibility is the JVC DR-MV7U from Sears. Sears.com has this JVC model, but I don't know about the stores. I also don't know if this JVC model has the great VHS video capturing that the other JVC's have. I would also be spending extra for the built-in VHS recorder too. This is the only JVC unit I could find in a store, including high end video stores in the Chicagoland area.

For combo DVD/VHS units, to bypass Macro protection, could you use the video out from the VHS unit into inputs for the DVD Recorder with the Sima unit in-between? I have a couple VHS movies that are not yet available on DVD, and I would like to watch them.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  6. The Wal Mart near me has a JVC DVD/VCR combo, at least that's what they told me on the phone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    The Wal Mart near me has a JVC DVD/VCR combo, at least that's what they told me on the phone.
    Perhaps in the store, but not on the Walmart web site.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I believe is the best is the Samsung DVD-R145 This baby supports DVD-+R,RW and Dual Layer. It also has an IR blast to change the cable channel. It upconverts to your DVD videos and uses HDMI. I have the DVD-R120 and I love it, it works great and I was able to convert a few Wedding Videos to DVD. My next one I want to get is the R145 and move the R120 to my bedroom. I have had no problems converting my DVD to edit on my PC the quality is very good. I want the R145 for two reasons the IR blast, not having one prevents me from recording the shows I want and the Dual layer dvd so I can have a longer record time at the highest quality level. I have been looking around CC does not have it but be careful with CC they charge a 15% restocking fee.

Good luck
    Ray
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by normcar
    The Wal Mart near me has a JVC DVD/VCR combo, at least that's what they told me on the phone.
    You asked about stores, not websites.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Why do any one still need a VCR ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by normcar
    You asked about stores, not websites.
    I figured all the models available in the store would be listed on the Website. I assumed wrong apparently. I am going to Walmart after work to find out if my local Walmart has a JVC DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Why do any one still need a VCR ?
    For VHS to DVD transfer of old tapes. But I don't need a dual VHS/DVD Recording unit, as I alread have a VHS player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to be careful about Walmart. I live within a forty minute drive of 4 Walmarts - and they all stock slightly different products. Some Walmarts may have the JVC unit and others may not carry it. From what I have been told, the store manager can vary his inventory in order to accommodate the local clientele.

mgy999a
    Quote Quote  
  14. I am looking to buy a jvc combo unit. I cannot find the drm100 anywhere so I think I will just get the combo unit and not use the vcr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I personally wouldn't buy ANYTHING "Combo".
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yep, combos suck. Always better to buy seperate.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have borrowed two different combos from relatives for a project in the past. I do not own one but I admit I like using them. For non problem tapes, the combos are extremely convenient to use. Often times they can be bought on eBay for less than the price of the same manufacturers single.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If I could find a separate jvc recorder I would get that, but they seem to be impossible to find. I figure the next best thing is a combo unit. Supposively the recorder portion is the same as the non combo unit and I can actually find these online.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What would I buy. A newer version of last years model Pioneer that use, the 531h. This years model is I believe the 640h. I'd like to get one as a back up for the 531h. Unfortunately money is a little tight this year due to going to HDTV & a HD DVR.

However the Pioneer does a really nice recording when fed from a clean OTA or Via thi S-video 480i from a HD channel on the HD DVR.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by normcar
    I know this subject is not new, but many models discussed previously are not available in the store anymore. I want to buy from a store, so I can return it if bad, get as long an extended warrantee as possible, and hopefully get it on sale. Please understand in 2002 I bought a Philips DVDR985 for about $1000 with extended war, even the repair company could not get it to work. I recorded about 50 DVDRs before it died, so I want to make the best decision possible (I assume with the current models that a "great" decision is not possible). My main requirement is VHS conversion to DVD. I would also like to keep it cheaper, so unless its really necessary, a non-Harddrive unit would be best.

I have the following stores near, and these stores are widely available so many people would be interested in your suggestions.

Stores --> Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Fry's, Sears, or any other local stores.

If anyone has had a repair under an extended warrantee from a store, please include info as to how easy it was.
    I have two JVC DRMV1S combo DVD Recorder / VCRs and they have done an excellent job of preserving my VHS tapes. As usual, it will not copy VHS tapes which are copy protected. Nor will it copy most commercial DVDs to VHS.

I have a new Pioneer DVR 640H DVD recorder with hard drive and it has worked flawlessly with every disc I've tried DVDR+-RW and DVD RAM.

I have an older Toshiba RDXS32 DVD recorder with hard drive and it has worked flawlessly.

I use Pioneer and Toshiba to make RWs for my brother who is in / out of the hospital and nursing home. This way he won't miss his favorite shows / movies.

I have purchased and used the "PSP" extended plans from Best Buy. They have a "no lemon" clause. They gave me a new model when they could not replace an older model with the same model.

I have also owned and used the Lite On 5001 and 5005 (the versions with the upgradeable firmware). I had a problem with the 5001 and they took care of it quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Supposively the recorder portion is the same as the non combo unit and I can actually find these online
    I have the service manuals for both the M10S single and MV1 combo. This is a rare case in which the combo is probably more reliable than the single. The M10S NTSC version power supply is not designed as well as the combo power supply. The M10S power supply has two resistors in it which run at 94 degrees C which prematurely ages the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply that helps to bring on the famous "loading" problem. The combo and PAL version of the M10S power supplies do not have these parts so they are more reliable. This applies only to the NTSC M10S. Newer JVC singles do not seem to have this issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are the best recorders currently available:
    - JVC recorders, any of them.
    - Pioneer that does 352x480 Half D1 @ 3-hour settings
    - Toshiba that has noise reduction options.
    - LiteOn that has 3-hour LP mode.
    - Zenith, Samsung or LG with LSI chipset and a 3-hour mode or 3-hour settings.

Which one you pick heavily relies and what you want to do (recording modes, media), what sources you're working with.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Browsing at CircuitCity today I picked up a Panasonic DMR-ES15. Been testing it out and I am very surprised.

The 1hr, 2hr presets are 720x480 w/ 384Kbps ac3 and looks great. The 4hr preset is still 720x480 w/256Kbps ac3 and it still looks great. The 6hr is 352x240 and is not so great (as expected). The 8hr is the 6hr preset with lower audio bitrate.

The 1hr preset is 9334max and about 7900 average. The 2hr is 9334max and about 5560 average. The 4hr is 9558 max and about 2550 average. The 6hr is 1388 max and about 1040 average. Short random test of what was on TV, probably not that accurate........ but will be close I think.

I like this recorder because it offers a custom time preset called Flexible Recording Mode. You crank in how much time you need (up to 8 hours) and the bitrate adjusts so it fills the disk. Say you need 90 minutes - simple, just crank in 90 minutes and record. The disk fills to capacity with the bitrate adjusting to fit. Pretty nice feature. It's almost as smart as I am.

The unit plays all my DL disks with no problems. It also records on DL (but must close 1st layer before using 2nd)

Noise reduction disable-enable settings.
    Soft, fine, normal, cimena, filter enable-disable settings.
    16:9 or 4:3 mode, and it works....

Much more

I wan't going to buy such a cheap unit but it is impressing me... check it out.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    These are the best recorders currently available:
    - JVC recorders, any of them.
    - Pioneer that does 352x480 Half D1 @ 3-hour settings
    - Toshiba that has noise reduction options.
    - LiteOn that has 3-hour LP mode.
    - Zenith, Samsung or LG with LSI chipset and a 3-hour mode or 3-hour settings.

Which one you pick heavily relies and what you want to do (recording modes, media), what sources you're working with.

I haven't tried JVC, but I own three Pioneer machines. I'm extremely pleased with them. Panasonic machines rates highest with Consumer Reports, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Compared to the Pioneer machines they are poorly constructed and not as user friendly.

Don't "cheap out," you'll only be sorry later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's hard to find Pioneer recorders in stores. The only online retailer I've seen that carries them is at B & H Photo/Video. Anyone know of any other online website that carries Pioneer standalone recorders? Because I have a Pioneer 220-S that I bought a year ago from Wally Worlds. I'd like to get one with a hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After reading about how good the JVC DVD Recorders are, I purchased the JVC DR-MV7U from Fry's on Sat. 10/07/06. Fry's did not have it listed on their web site, but it is available in the store. It was $270, which is on the high side of DVD Recorders available in retail stores. I got the 3 Yr. Extended War. for 79.99. (The 2 year Exteded War. was 59.99, for $20 I got an extra year.)

I only have +Rs and +RWs, so I purchased 2 50 packs of Sony -Rs (made in Japan) and a 25 pack of Sony -RW made in Taiwan. However, on Sunday the same Blank DVDs were a total of $31 less, so I will "exchange" them today. Therefore, I have not yet tried Recording yet. I will try it tonight, and report back.

I am hoping that for Macro protected VHS tapes, I can use my Sima unit in between the output, and input of the external Input/Outputs on the back of the unit because I have several VHS tapes to backup that are not available on DVD. Has anyone tried this on DVD/VHS dual units?
    Quote Quote  
  27. You can't use a stabilizer with a combo without using a seperate VHS. Using the outputs/inputs on the combo doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't use a stabilizer with a combo without using a seperate VHS. Using the outputs/inputs on the combo doesn't work.
    Why wouldn't it work? You can watch a tape at the same time you are recording a DVD (P. 40 of manual). The machine shouldn't even know you are doing this.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I've seen more than a few posts from other people who have tried and said it doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Combo VHS/DVD recorders is controlled by the same microcontroller. Once the VHS playback circuit decides the macrovision signal is present, the microcontroller will halt all recording.
    Quote Quote