VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. It works with Panasonic combos. I have tried it on ES30V and ES35V. Just go out the DVD/VHS common output and into one of the inputs such as IN1. I have not tried it with a JVC however.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Combo VHS/DVD recorders is controlled by the same microcontroller. Once the VHS playback circuit decides the macrovision signal is present, the microcontroller will halt all recording.
    The Sima device I bought at Best Buy several years ago "cleans" the video, and therefore removes the macrovision signal. Therefore it should work. I will try it soon.

Last night I used my new JVC recorder to record from TV. I didn't have time to figure out all the settings, and it recorded in 6 hr mode on a Sony +RW. I was supprised at how good the picture was at that setting. The picture should be very good using the 2 or 4 hour settings.

The one thing I don't like, is when you turn on the unit, you cann't watch the TV channel for about 20 seconds. I run the cable through the unit before connecting to my TV, because the TV only has a cable input.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Sima device I bought at Best Buy several years ago "cleans" the video, and therefore removes the macrovision signal. Therefore it should work. I will try it soon.
    I'm curious to find out if your device worked. I own last year's model of this unit (DR-MV5S) and I have a couple of VHS titles that are not available on DVD that I would like to transfer. BTW, which Sima device are you using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used the Sima CT-Q1 Video Enhancer and Duplicator. I got it at Best Buy a few years ago. I don't know if they still sell them. It cleans the video which gets eliminates the macrovision protection.

I have not yet tried it yet, since I have been busy. A few months ago my 26 in Toshiba TV purchased as a Demo unit in 1988 failed. I tried to get it fixed and the tube had shorted out. So last night I purchased the Toshiba 26 in Theater Wide 26hf66 HDTV unit for $545 including tax. The picture was good, except for the bad cable reception for the networks. However I will get the HD cable box tonight and try it out.

I watched the DVD Star Wars Ep III using my new TV and JVC DR-MV7U Recorder. It had a great picture without using an HDMI cable. I hope the HD TV stations will be much better with the HD Cable box from Insight Cable.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trhouse
    http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/ArticleNews/story/BWIRE/20050615/20050615005462
    Don't know what the outcome of this court case was, but Best Buy has a Sima GoDVD Video Duplicator CT-2 SKU for $99. This says that you can "Copy between VHS and DVD formats; copies DVD to DVD; S-VHS, VHS-C, VHS, 8mm and DVD-compatible; stabilizes video signals for crisp copies; supports NTSC and PAL". So they either won the case or it is still being heard in court.

This device does more than the Sima CT-Q1 Video Enhancer and Duplicator I have. It also allows me to hook my DVD Player to a VHS player to control the output to an older TV which has only one cable input. It allows me to swith between cable TV and DVD player without degrading the picture from the DVD Player because of the Macrovision protection.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The one thing I don't like, is when you turn on the unit, you cann't watch the TV channel for about 20 seconds. I run the cable through the unit before connecting to my TV, because the TV only has a cable input.
    Do you have "power save mode" on? I have a JVC DR-M10S hooked up to cable and the TV the same way. If "power save mode" is not on, the M10S tuner works almost instantly. If "power save mode" is on, it takes nearly 40 seconds for the tuner to work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just scored JVC DR-M10S off of ebay for $66 shipped. Hopefully it will meet all my needs. I suggest if anyone is looking to purchase this particular model from ebay to ask the seller if it had the loading problem. Supposively the unit I bought had the problem but was fixed by jvc. I can't wait to start transferring my vhs collection again (no luck with my pioneer 220 the first time )
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you have it, check it right away. I had a friend who had his repaired by JVC last month for the loading problem. It worked for one hour after he got it back and the units dvd drive door would not open. He could hear rattling inside the unit.

Do not open the unit or JVC will not repair it again. He did not open it but called them immediately. The second repair went well and the unit has been working fine. Both repairs were free and it was 2004 unit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC DRM 100S that id be willing to part with if that doesnt work out.

There have been no loading issues or anything like that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just won it today so I have to wait a little bit until I can really test it. From what I have read it looks like jvc has a pretty decent customer service.

MeekloBraca,
    If the dm10 doesn't meet my expectations, I will drop you a pm.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You got it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go for Pioneer, JVC is not worth all the trouble and bugs, the loading bug issue alone should scare any clear thinking person away.(Smurfs not included, ) I have the 220 and 531 and they have been trouble free and user friendly. I recently converted a 7 hour VHS to 1 DVD with my 531 for a friend, the result was as good or perhaps better then the original VHS. I was pleasantly suprized.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dont take this personally but there is absolutly no way you can convert a 7 hr vhs video to 1 DVD and it look better than the original. Especially with the Pioneer 220.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scorpion King
    Browsing at CircuitCity today I picked up a Panasonic DMR-ES15. Been testing it out and I am very surprised.

The 1hr, 2hr presets are 720x480 w/ 384Kbps ac3 and looks great. The 4hr preset is still 720x480 w/256Kbps ac3 and it still looks great. The 6hr is 352x240 and is not so great (as expected). The 8hr is the 6hr preset with lower audio bitrate.

The 1hr preset is 9334max and about 7900 average. The 2hr is 9334max and about 5560 average. The 4hr is 9558 max and about 2550 average. The 6hr is 1388 max and about 1040 average. Short random test of what was on TV, probably not that accurate........ but will be close I think.

I like this recorder because it offers a custom time preset called Flexible Recording Mode. You crank in how much time you need (up to 8 hours) and the bitrate adjusts so it fills the disk. Say you need 90 minutes - simple, just crank in 90 minutes and record. The disk fills to capacity with the bitrate adjusting to fit. Pretty nice feature. It's almost as smart as I am.

The unit plays all my DL disks with no problems. It also records on DL (but must close 1st layer before using 2nd)

Noise reduction disable-enable settings.
    Soft, fine, normal, cimena, filter enable-disable settings.
    16:9 or 4:3 mode, and it works....

Much more

I wan't going to buy such a cheap unit but it is impressing me... check it out.

Good luck
    What do you mean ... records on DL ... but must close 1st Layer before using 2nd layer.

Are u saying you ... stop playback of what your recording ... ?? ... and then resume ... using the 2nd layer ... this doesn't sound too cool.

Also ... incase you didn't explain correctly ... I am hoping if I should get one ... I can use the Verbatim DVD+R DL ... set the Flex Record ... and when it is done I've got what I am expectiing [hoping to get ... perhaps is the correct phrase]

Right now ... I'm using the Panasonic EH50 ... with the 100 GB harddrive in them. I bought one of them from Circuit City and the other 3 from Ebay. I couldn't find them anywhere else in early spring 2006. The one from CC ... was a Table Top sale ... no box ... but everything was included ... in a clear plastic bag.

I have one connected to each of my Directv HDTV boxes [High Definition DVR (HR10-250) HD Tivo / HD DVR] with 250 GB hard drives. One in my bedroom and one in my living room. [The other two are not being used at this time] ... I record to the harddrive in the Directv box and then transfer to the EH50 and sit in my easy chair ... trimming out the commercials with the remote. Sci-Fi Friday ... 3 one hour shows with commercials removed is about 2 HRs and 11 minutes.

P.S. ... I've just found out ... the HR10-250 ...has been replaced / discontinued ...

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=HR20
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I may be wrong and someone can correct me if I am, but what he means by close the first layer is that when the first layer is filled with information the disc will stop recording, then you haveto finalize, or maybe push record again. Either way if you pressed record on a DL disc and walked away youd only come back to a half full disc.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lacywest, here is what the manual says about recording on double layer disks.

page 4: note: *1

"You can record onto the second layer of dual- or double -layer disks after closing the first layer (see page 35). You will no longer be able to record to the first layer after you do this ( see page 16). When playing the title recorded on both layers, video and audio may momentarily cut out when the unit is switching layers."

page 17: note *3

" It is not possible to record continuously from the first layer to the second layer".

hope this explains it better.
    good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Lacywest, good luck with the new DirecTV HD MPEG4 DVR boxes. Long threads over at www.dbstalk.com about the HR-20, General opinion seems to split into two camps, OK to use and released before it was ready.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by budz
    It's hard to find Pioneer recorders in stores. The only online retailer I've seen that carries them is at B & H Photo/Video. Anyone know of any other online website that carries Pioneer standalone recorders? Because I have a Pioneer 220-S that I bought a year ago from Wally Worlds. I'd like to get one with a hard drive.
    Got mine 640h from Amazon when sold by them. I now see it from one of their referral stores for $319.88. Very good price. Not sure about shipping since the free shipping only applies to "stocked and sold by Amazon."
    I may have to get another if they get any cheaper.
    They not only record from many sources very good but has a quite good playback. And editing is a breeze after a couple walk throughs.
    The Amazon price is $347.95...still a good price...especially with free shipping.
    I also replaced my 220s. but going to get it back into my system somehow. Running low on inputs. Got eleven but I guess something has to go.

Good luck.
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  19. Keep in mind also that B & H has a real fairly large B&M store in manhattan not far from the Lincoln Tunnel, that is where I picked up my 531h on a Sunday morning. The store was jammed, They will validate parking if you park in one of the parking lots they work with. List of those with a map on their website. From what I saw going out the door that sunday they must buy in truckloads.

Since B&H is a large reputable dealer I'd have no qualms about buying from them over the Internet or phone whereas some unknown website that has who knows who or where behind it, nah.

The only reason I went in person was I wanted to play with it that weekend and the cost to go pick it up was no more than having it shipped.

Cheers

Edit: Plus I'm pretty sure that B&H is an authroized dealer. An unauthorized seller can be a problem if you buy from them and need warranty sevice.

I just remembered It was Walmart I bought the 531h from and it was B & H I bought the JVC 9911(?) S-VHS VCR from.

Same reason for going I wanted to complete my VHS to DVD chain and play with my new toys right away.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    It's hard to find Pioneer recorders in stores. The only online retailer I've seen that carries them is at B & H Photo/Video. Anyone know of any other online website that carries Pioneer standalone recorders? Because I have a Pioneer 220-S that I bought a year ago from Wally Worlds. I'd like to get one with a hard drive.
    Good Guys carried them, but they're defunct. Magnolia A/V stores (owned by Best Buy ?) had them previously, but I haven't seen any there for a good 6 months or more.

The thing with Pioneer is that you can get into warranty issues buying from a non-authorized online dealer. So that is something to investigate. Besides the one you mentioned, the other online dealers I see mentioned are Vann's (in Montana, I think), and Onecall. The latter claims to be authorized, I'm not sure about the other two. I think Crutchfield & / or J & R had Pioneers at one time, not sure about now.
    Quote Quote