VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    like the subject line says; is it possible to add DVD-ROM drives to the "LISTS" section?
    I find the lists and ratings/comments of the media, players, cards, writers, and tools to be very helpful, but why nothing for read only DVD drives?
    I know I can't be the only one who has added a read only drive to help avoid wear & tear on their burner.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    I know I can't be the only one who has added a read only drive to help avoid wear & tear on their burner.
    You are the ONLY one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a dvd rom drive to prevent wear and tear on my buner, but that was a while ago while dvd burners were still expensive.

Since the price of dvd burner have dropped significantly, the price difference between a dvd rom and dvd burner is minimal. If my dvd rom would ever fail, id be purchasing another dvd burner instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You are the ONLY one.
    dork.
    :P
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use My Pioneer 111 to avoid wear and tear on my DVD-ROM drive. It was a gift from my dear uncle Earl. May he RIP.

This "wear and tear" trip on burners is going over the top! Commercial duplicators exceed 10,000 to 15,000 burns on the burners in their duplicators and the drives are still going strong. There is an unknown X factor that explains the urban myth about the short life of burners.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't care about wear & tear, but I have an extra DVD ROM Drive because they are faster, and some times I need to make an on the fly copy or read two DVD's at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JA!
    and it's hard to find info and reviews on the drives...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Calling the Mac Daddy Site Owner/Administrator/Master names will not endear you to the group.

Myself, I'm in the "If the DVD-ROM drive fails, replace it with a good DVD burner" crowd. With most DVD burners available for under $40, and DVD-ROM drives running $20 to $30: It's pretty much a non issue. BTW: I've seen extremely good rip speeds with the Plextor and NEC drives that I have, as good or better than and DVD-ROMs that I've installed.

That said, it's your money - spend it on whatever you want.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by classfour
    That said, it's your money - spend it on whatever you want.
    I do too often

My SCSI x16 DVD ROM rips quite well. IMHO it seems faster than any EIDE DVD Burner. But YMMV of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently reinstalled an old DVD-ROM drive for the very reason given in the original post and found that it could read some corrupt files and poorly authored DVDs that my DVD rewriter was unable-to read.
    Quote Quote