VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've used VirtualDub successfully twice now, but today its suddenly started playing up.

I have already made 2 VCDs from old VHS tapes, so I know it *was* working, but now I cant stop the thing dropping frames. I lose 100 frames for every 100 I record. I havent changed any settings or altered the configuration of my PC. The frames get dropped once I press start on the VCR, but no frames are dopped when there is no signal coming in to my WinTV card.

What has happened? What am I doing wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Did yourun aux setup, it is a self test which will help point to the problem, did you try not capturing the audio, this will tell you if it is the video or audio source that is causing the problem, if it worked before, what have you installed or changed since then? If you are running xp or me you can try a system restore to a known good time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I keep getting this has well try defraging your have drive it has worked for me in the passed also give Avi_io a try I gave this ago last week and it didn't drop any frames at all in over 2hrs of video
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  4. Cheers guys, but......

I ran the aux setup and it dropped no frames at 25fps in 200 frame grabs. The buffers in use didnt exceed 1/50.

The frame loss only occurs when theres some input from the TV card. Would this be normal? Oh, and I should also say that the frame loss is apparent even before I begin the capture. If I just watch the video through VirtualDub I can see the picture stuttering. This does not happen if I view the video through the WinTV software.

I have also tried AVI_IO and that has the same problem, although it drops fewer frames. So it must be the PC setup, but why does it work perfectly in WinTV?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lewisp on 2002-01-12 13:19:48 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look in the tools section for avio demo
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    what OS are you using, XP will scale back your hard drives if you start getting to many errors, maybe you are in pio mode and don't know it, if this is the case, uninstall the drive in device manager and let windows find it again, chances are it will come back up in udma.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having that same problem now. How do I do a system restoreon XP? I messed with some drivers (from WDM to VFW and back, I think) and that was it. The reason I started changing the drivers is because I couldn't capture above 320 X 240 in V Dub, although I could in other programs. This blows....

Wraith
    Blow me for faster replies.......
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    just go to programs/system tools and select system restore, then selct a date you want to restore to, but if your drives have been scaled back this will not fix that, you have to uninstall and let the system reinstall the drive you want to restore to a faster mode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. stuttering problem can be caused by these following-

Preview is on and not overlay
    V-Dub is NOT active window
    Your pc is too damn slow
    You are doing something else while v-dub is open
    You need to upgrade your vieo drivers.
    You need to upgrade Direct X to 8.1
    ShiZZZoN PzN

Everyday is another payday and I am one step closer to becoming the one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Sean>> I messed with my drivers because I couldn't capture higher than 320X240 res. That is when I started having problems. I have since reinstalled the original drivers, but now it just doesn't act right....

L8TR,

Wraith
    Blow me for faster replies.......
    Quote Quote  
  11. I ran into a problem like this; was capturing fine a minute ago, and now it
    drops every other frame. Then I turned off compression, and it captured
    fine? WHAT!?

Here's what I was doing wrong. I had set Huffyuv compression by default.
    And then before I captured I'd type "c" and set Huffyuv compression. Oooops!
    That causes the incoming video to be compressed TWICE, which was pounding on
    the CPU, which was causing the dropped frames. I didn't realize that was
    possible. So, I set it to "no recompression" and stopped dropping frames.
    Quote Quote