VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. when i use virtualdub to encode my vid with subs it works fine except that the japanese text does not appear correctly. it looks like this : $%^#$&^%$&^

obviously this is an issue with encoding, but i dont know what to do. when i open my subfile in notepad the japanese is displayed perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What did you use in VDub to display the subs? VSFilter? Did you select the codepage?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your subs are Unicode, ShiftJIS, or some such. I'm not sure if the VirtualDub sub filters can handle that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could try setting your regional settings for non-unicodes programs to japanese in control panel (you will have to reboot, and all backslashes in explorer will look like yen symbols).

control panel -> regional and language options -> advanced tab -> Language for non-unicode programs (drop down box) select Japanese. -> click OK -> Reboot.

Be warned, installing some programs when running japanese codepage can result in those programs using japanese text. Nero is one example.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TextSub supports unicode/UTF-8 and has a drop down list for ANSI subs.
    Quote Quote