VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. i recently bought a dvd at target and it will not play on my pc now, when i play it on power dvd it goes to a region code prompt and says this dvd can only be played on a dvd player, i play it in windows media player i hear snap crackle pop there is a picture but sound is messed up, vlc picutre is distoreed and fragmented, dix plyer crashes? what gives is the new copyright protection they have now.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the DVD title?
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  3. it is big trouble in little china
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip the bugger with DVDFabDecrypter and see if the image on your hard disk is playable.

Does the disk play on a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. yes its brand new, when i played it thru power dvd 5 it came up a popup box saying this dvd can only be played on a dvd player and not a dvd player on a computer and also it had a region selection box with the us checked which is fine but then i press ok and it closes the other players either crash or picture is messed up and sound is screwed
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Play dvd on different dvd and computer players and see whats happenning. I'm kinda curious myself. It is possible that the disc have some new protections or something. Which movie is that?
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jadair7576
    it is big trouble in little china
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have tried my laptop as well and it does the same thing, its got to be new copyright encryption protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try ripping it with RipIt4Me to see if it works without the protection.

It is nice to see protection now works to actually prevent you from actually watching the video. It is the ultimate protection against piracy. If no one can watch it, then no one will buy it, and therefore, not have a DVD to pirate from. It is the best protection the studios can get (except not producing movies in the first place). That'll show everyone how great they are.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I love how people always assume with the first problem it's some new incredible copy protection
    I seriously doubt they redid a 20 year old movie/dvd you can pick up for $10.00 at most with some new cutting edge tech. copy protection

Can you play other dvd's on these drives/pc's ?
    Have you tried ripping them with anything instead of watching them ?

Originally Posted by jadair7576
    when i played it thru power dvd 5 it came up a popup box saying this dvd can only be played on a dvd player and not a dvd player on a computer
    Never heard of such a warning ever!!! I'd like to see a screen shot of that 8)

and also it had a region selection box with the us checked
    Usually you get a warning similiar to what you stated saying if the drive/software is set to a diff. region then the disc. And you are only allowed 5 region changes.
    Have you ever played other region disc's in these drives/pc's ?

It's prob. either a bad disc or software/hardware issue.

Your in what country and what region is the disc ?

EDIT:
    Silly me, you said you bought it at target so i'm going to assume you are in the U.S.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I love how people always assume with the first problem it's some new incredible copy protection
    I seriously doubt they redid a 20 year old movie/dvd you can pick up for $10.00 at most with some new cutting edge tech. copy protection
    I was joking, ok. Don't take everything so seriously. But in the world of copyprotection, I wouldn't put it past some idiot at a movie studio to remaster it for better protection. They do more stupid things every day that cost millions of $$$$.

Actually the Region Code is a form of copy protection too. You may have purchased a DVD made for some other region that was at the store by mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes its brand new, when i played it thru power dvd 5 it came up a popup box saying this dvd can only be played on a dvd player and not a dvd player on a computer
    Code:

Then why don't you simply watch it in your set top DVD player instead of the PC. 
    They obviously did some trick that I or most here may have never heard of to prevent it from playing on a PC. Like it was suggested. Rip it with DVDFabDecrypter and if it can be ripped, do a movie only in DVDShrink. 

It seems weird that thewy would take such efforts for such a blah movie.
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by normcar
    I was joking, ok. Don't take everything so seriously. But in the world of copyprotection, I wouldn't put it past some idiot at a movie studio to remaster it for better protection. They do more stupid things every day that cost millions of $$$$.

Actually the Region Code is a form of copy protection too. You may have purchased a DVD made for some other region that was at the store by mistake.
    That was not directed at you Just a blanket statement like the post the other day about curious george
    Actually region encoding is just that, to try and limit it's playback to a certain region because even if your drives are locked to a specific region other than what the dvd is you can still rip it with pretty much any ripper that will bypass the actual copy protection schemes.

Originally Posted by jtoolman2000
    It seems weird that thewy would take such efforts for such a blah movie.

Yeah that was one of my first thought's also
    That movie is so old and crappy it's prob. one of those really cheaply made ones you find in the dollar bin at wal-mart :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. This is my first occurence with such a dvd, i have not problm with any other dvds, avi's, vcd's or mpgs i can rip, burn convert anything with this pc it is a gateway MCE with dual core, i have never had a problem with watching anyting on this pc up till not, i will try and rip it first and creat an image of it the access it that way.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jadair7576,

Personally, I would consider a dvd with a region code problem, bought from Target, to be defective, and would return it. Yes, ripping the original and burning a new copy will address the symptom, but the problem with the brand new original still exists. You didn't get what you paid for.

I don't know how much you paid at Target, but you can get that movie (region 1) for $7.18 with free shipping from deepdiscountdvd (as an example), and really cure the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS MOVIE?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The title of the movie is "Big Trouble in Little China".
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jadair7576
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VegasBud
    So, I believe it can not have any new copy protections. Its a pretty old movie, not very good one and I don't think they would bother with remastering. You propablly bought it at Walmart for $5.50 with Bloodsport on the other side of the disc. I'd take it back to Walmart for replacement.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will Walmart exchange the DVD if he bought it from Target? What a company.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by steveryan
    Dude did you read any of the post, i bought it at target
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steveryan
    Oh, I didn't see he bought it from Target. No I believe he must return it to Target.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM

But i bet they would if you did not have the tag on it :P

I'm thinking not seeing as the name was stated twice and once after he asked

Have you tried checking it in anything like DVDInfoPro to see what it reports the region as ?
    I'm sure it's a problem with the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  24. no but thatnks for all the tools! i will take it back if i can not get it to work
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I knew that, but the other poster didn't
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Scorpion King
    "Big trouble in Little China" brings "Enough Trouble for Videohelp.com".
    Look like we are all having fun with this $5.99 Target Special.
    8)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I knew that, but the other poster didn't
    Yeah i knew you did also i was talking about fLYtRap
    I thought that's who he was talking to, i missed you were the one he quoted until you reposted
    2 people lost in a hedge maze :P

Originally Posted by SingSing
    "Big trouble in Little China" brings "Enough Trouble for Videohelp.com".
    Look like we are all having fun with this $5.99 Target Special.
    8)
    If upper management read's this they will prob. hurry up and clearance them out at $1 each with no return and be glad they got rid of them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With Windows you can change the region 5 (?) times, you must have run out of changes. Try DVD Region Killer.
    Quote Quote